Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Take your hats off, you are indoors".

Cat In The Hat

New in Town
Feraud said:
admonishes Donald Trump to his latest group of clueless apprentices.
I only saw a two second clip but a group of wannabe high-rollers went into one of those boardroom meetings wearing visor caps.
Trump should have fired the whole lot for that transgression. :)

Sorry, I disagree with the "respect" argument. Traditions change through time and since hat-wearing is not something that is common today, I think the tradition of removing hats out of 'respect' is pretty much gone, also. It is also a tradition that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, either.

I don't think the lack of removing your hat means the wearer is "uneducated", it simply means they don't hold to traditions that are out-dated and senseless. Granted, I don't think it's wrong to do that sort of thing, but I also don't think anyone should be looked down on for NOT removing their hat. I really don't equate "respect" with what someone is wearing..... or the fact that they remove something when they come indoors or meet me.

Maybe if we were still back in the 40s I'd feel different, but we're not back in the 40s. Also, it could just be a personal thing that I really hate to be held to traditions and rules that don't make sense or shouldn't matter to anyone.

For those of us who are bald, hats are more than just a fashion statement.

I guess what gets me going is the attitude that somehow people are less 'respectful' by not removing a hat. Please. There are at least a thousand and one things I can think of that show repsect towards people before 'removing my hat'.

Qwkslvr

One of the Regulars
I captain an on-line chess team and recently played a doctor in England. After being thrashed by him in one of the two games we played; I left him a congratulatory note in which at the end I left this: (tips hat).
I received this note back from him:
"Now that really is what we Brits consider to be very charming and courteous Clint. To tip one's hat is regrettably a social skill that has disappeared with the demise of the hat wearing gentry in this country. It lifts my soul to know that civilized and cultivated manners are still in existence and for that I salute you sir."
Because of the "your hat is my hat if you're not looking mentality", perhaps we need to evolve our hat etiquette somewhat, but; we don't have to disregard it in its entirety.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I believe people in the 40's came from a more respectful time. The vast majority had either been in the military during WW1...or WW2...or had family that had fought. So the military training/traditions carried over to the family also. It's sad when I hear someone that shows such disdain for some classy traditions. Today we're having political correctness pushed on us, when the majority already knew how to treat each other.
While others may not know or realize rules concerning hats, we can at least lead the way! I tip my hat to all of you here in the Fedora Lounge! Keep the respectful traditions alive!

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Where to put the old...

...hat. I've become quite adept at finding new places to put it when I dine. One place I go to has a shark on the wall. Usually there the hat goes on his nose.

I haven't been stuck yet. There seems to always be some place to put it in sight such as ledges, posts, etc. I look them over, and if they are clean, that is where the hat goes.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I carry around an ID neck holder that has a clip on the end. If there's no place to put my hat, I attach the clip to the sweat band and hang it behind me from my neck...I did 6 years in the Army, and there are certain things you just need to do...:D

BigLittleTim

Familiar Face
hats, elevators, Edith Wharton, etc.

I was told, as a young boy, that one removed one's hat when in a lady's "house". When she is in an automobile, or an elevator cab, for instance, the car or the elevator becomes her "house" and you should show respect by removing your hat and holding it in your hand or on your lap.

Also, never put a hat on the table. This one always burns me, as a hat placed on a chair in a restaurant is apt to be forgotten.

I believe that in Edith Wharton's "House of Mirth", a gentleman caller places his hat in the correct, old-fashioned way (old-fashioned even in Victorian New York), on the floor near his chair.

-BigLittleTim

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
I carry around an ID neck holder that has a clip on the end. If there's no place to put my hat, I attach the clip to the sweat band and hang it behind me from my neck...I did 6 years in the Army, and there are certain things you just need to do...:D
:eek: lol lol lol lol :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy