Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tall Ship Sail - Clothing

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
This is a post to accompany my post in the hat section.

To recap. In September I will be going on an 8 day Tall Ship sail here in the UK and I am looking for ideas for what to wear. If course, I would like it to have a vintage feel as well as making a statement.

As with the hats, I would like it to be practical, readily available, and not step on anyone's toes (a captains outfit wouldn't be cool).

I appreciate any and all ideas.

Jeff

Link to hat post.

FlArchaeologist

Familiar Face
Dungarees and Chambray or old plaid shirts....they'll get tar, paint, and grease on them, so expect it. Sweaters will serve you better than jackets, as they'll allow you to move more freely and also offer insulation under your foul weather gear. Some people like to wear boots when going aloft, others are fine in boat shoes...it's a really personal thing, but standing on ropes all day begins to hurt after awhile.

Cheers,

armod

Familiar Face
keeping in mind that sailors gerally had one set of clothes for sometimes months at sea so layering was the way things would have been done.

in hot weather a shirt and pants would be all they'd wear. both being light and loose to allow movement and airflow also the pants would roll up to mid calf and the shirts would be cuffed or tied at 2-3 inches before the wrist, also to allow free movement and prevent clothing from getting tarred or caught anywhere.

over that go with a vest and long coat, these can be heavy as it gets cold on deck at night.

if you don't want to look like a "pirate" look at what real pirates wore as opposed to movie pirates. they were, after all, just sailors that stole. I don't know what naval uniforms were in the 15th-17th centuries (pirates often wore stolen items of uniform) just what would have been practical mixed with what I've seen in books and artists depictions.

keep shoes slim and simple
NO BLACK SOLES
they leave marks on deck and will lose you favour from the second somebody looks at your feet. skippers tend to watch out for this more than anyone.

and a piece of advice any sailor will give you...
take plenty of socks.

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
A hat here is mainly a practical consideration. Make sure it has a strap, or you WILL lose it. Tilley makes some nice, tough, well-ventilated hats that will keep you cool, and have a strap.

Above all, have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner