Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taps

Queue

Familiar Face
Taps?

My apologies if a thread on this topic already exists but I couldn't find one with the (horrific...) search.

Does anyone have or know anything about taps on shoes? I'm not talking about tap shoes but a little bit a cobbler would but on the underside of the toe to help protect the sole. I remember reading something about them a while ago and I recall my dad telling me that his dad always had them. Any information would be much appreciated.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Any cobbler will install heel and toe taps for around $5.00.

m-pt.jpg

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
As Tomasso says, any cobbler can put metal pieces on the heel and toe to protect them. I would highly recommend getting this done on all leather-soled shoes.

In the case of the heel, one can also get a "quarter-iron", where the metal piece is built into the back part of the heel (the part that wears down quickest). I usually get this done as I find it does not wear as quickly and not prone to accidentally being kicked off if one scuffs one's heel on the pavement.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
I use PVC (or whatever material they are made from) heel taps, which are silent and don't mark floors. Not necessarily a classic touch, but much better than wearing down the heel. Of course, I'm sure everyone already knows about this and I just wasted a minute or two typing.

Marc Chevalier said:
Warning!

Metal taps are hell on wooden floors. If the wearer tends to drag his feet, the wood floor will get scratched.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
My dad wore 'em in the 50's on all his shoes...he was the quintessential hood in Ohio...he said the sound of the clicking heels of your spades echoing down school hallways, and the feeling it gave you as a teen, is something you never forget...:)
Rob

South

One of the Regulars
Are they to quieten down the steps? Are they to offset uneven heel wear brought on by pronation? (I always wear down the outside rear portion of my heels.)

Thanks.

cptjeff

Practically Family
They don't really cut down wear, but they're much cheaper and easier to replace then a full heel, so they put them in high wear areas.

cptjeff

Practically Family
If you say so. But looking at the rubber heels on my loafers, I would shudder to think of what they would be like if they had a less hard wearing material.

It probably depends what surfaces you're wearing them on, but in my experience rubber is not a particularly long lasting material. The soles on those shoes are just fine. Admittedly, they need to be restitched, but the leather itself in pretty good shape.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
safety first

I may be all wet, but I believe the rubber inserts were added because all leather soles and heals slip badly, especially on slick commercial floors and even on slick concrete.

It was a safety measure.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Humphrey O'Sullivan

Rubber Heel Shoes

O'Sullivan was an Irish immigrant to the United States who received the first patent for a rubber heel for shoes on January 24, 1899.

He was working in a print shop, standing on the hard floor all day long. His feet were killing him by the time he got home so he started standing on a small rubber mat. It was such a good idea that his coworkers started stealing it!

Then he had an idea! Attach that rubber to the soles of his shoes and no one would steal them again!

It was such a success that he got a patent for it and opened his own company! O'Sullivan Corporation is still in existence, manufacturing and distributing plastics for the automotive and manufacturing industries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot