Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taps

South

One of the Regulars
Okay, I may be slow... I had completely forgotten about Kiwi "Heel Savers". I bought some and will be trying them out on some of my shoes and boots.

Hopefully, it will slow down uneven wear on the heels.

I think they are expensive, though. They were ~ $3.50 for a pack of two pairs. They look like they should be about .50 a pair.

willyk57

New in Town
Kiwi Heel Saver Review

South said:
Okay, I may be slow... I had completely forgotten about Kiwi "Heel Savers". I bought some and will be trying them out on some of my shoes and boots.

Hopefully, it will slow down uneven wear on the heels.

I think they are expensive, though. They were ~ $3.50 for a pack of two pairs. They look like they should be about .50 a pair.

I am very bad about dragging my heels and all of my boots show it. It took me a while to find a brick and mortar retailer that carried heel savers, but I have two Kiwi pair now.

So far , I am in the process of waring out a pair of the Kiwi Heel Savers on a pair of rubber soled casual boots. After about about a week they are still ok, with the molded writing still readable. They initially looked like they were going to ware out very quickly but I now think they will last about a month and a half out of them. I will say that the small nails used to hold the heel savers in place were hard to countersink and may scratch some flooring materials.

I will try to give another update when I replace them.

Best,
WillyK

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Now someone must create a devise for protecting the sides of my shoes! I only began wearing dress shoes very late in life, and my many decades of bad habits from wearing soft athletic shoes are paying hell on my nice Oxfords. I sit at a desk for many hours each day and I unconsciously cross my legs at the ankles. This causes the bottom and side-heel of one shoe to rub against the leather of the other. With black or dark brown shoes there is little evidence of my laziness, but my first pair of white bucks were all but ruined after just the first day, with dirty scuffs marring the white suede leather of the sides! Would it be terribly bad practice to go about with my feet encased in plastic bags?

cptjeff

Practically Family
Slim Portly said:
Now someone must create a devise for protecting the sides of my shoes! I only began wearing dress shoes very late in life, and my many decades of bad habits from wearing soft athletic shoes are paying hell on my nice Oxfords. I sit at a desk for many hours each day and I unconsciously cross my legs at the ankles. This causes the bottom and side-heel of one shoe to rub against the leather of the other. With black or dark brown shoes there is little evidence of my laziness, but my first pair of white bucks were all but ruined after just the first day, with dirty scuffs marring the white suede leather of the sides! Would it be terribly bad practice to go about with my feet encased in plastic bags?
Sounds like you are going to get to know messrs. Saddle soap and White shoe polish pretty well.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Slim Portly said:
my first pair of white bucks were all but ruined after just the first day, with dirty scuffs marring the white suede leather of the sides!
Get yourself a Buck Bag.

bucbag.jpg

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Hale Heel still in business?

I ordered taps from Hale Heel on April 5, and have still not yet received anything, nor has my credit card been charged....

Does anyone know if Hale Heel is still in business? [huh]

It is almost impossible to get adult dress shoes small enough for my feet, so i end up wearing 1/2 size too big. I learned from a friend in graduate school who studies the mechanics of walking that most people's toe clearance is surprisingly small so slightly long shoes tend to strike very slightly at the toe, wearing down the sole.

I go for metal toe taps. I don't wear down heels particularly much, but each new pair of shoes i get has "Blakey's" (the major manufacturer of "segs" back in the day, their name has become the common name of the item; like "Hoover".) fitted pretty sharpish.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara