Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tea Party Recipes & Table Linen?

magneto

Practically Family
What a lovely thread! I think an assortment of teas is more than "correct"--this was the norm even when one was having tea for family (assuming a large family with different tastes).

If it's time-feasible and you're using tea-tables, I have found nice "combined lots" of embroidered tea cloths and towels on ebay: usually people don't want to bother selling them individually.

Scones are good, and I vote for baking a teacake; easier than cookies. I have a time-tested ginger teacake recipe if you want it (incidentally it's milk-free, if anyone is allergic to dairy). Good luck with the party!

Irena

One of the Regulars
16_sparrows said:
Oh, I have another question about the actual tea now. I was going to make two pots; one black one green, but now I am wondering if maybe I should just have an assortment of fancy loose teas out and let the ladies decide for themselves. Would that be a big no-no? I was even considering buying a mixed pack of those Tea Forte teas so they could try out teas they wouldn't normally buy for themselves. But perhaps that would be just tacky for a tea party?

First of all, your invatations are wonderful!

I would say to have one pot of black tea and an assortment for those who want to try different flavors.

Have a wonderful party!

shindeco

A-List Customer
mysterygal said:
sindeco, why not tea bags? too messy?

It's more about the quality of the tea. Teabags, by their very nature require very fine (that is to say, small) fillings. Granted, there are some very good quality teas that are very small leafed and could, in theory, be used in teabags. Unfortunately, that's not what usually happens. Tea manufacturers reserve the grades known as "fannings" and "dust" (which is literally that fine tea dust you find in the bottom of the canister!) for use in teabags because you don't see it and it brews up very quickly. It also gives an inferior tasting tea.

Tea also needs room for the leaves to expand as they steep. If you squeeze tea leaves, they release tannin which is the really bitter tasting part of tea. A tea bag forces the leaves to squeeze each other, releasing more tannin. If you like a bitter cup of tea, that's not a problem but it can interfere with the taste of more delicate teas like Darjeelings or Oolongs.

Boy, that's a pretty verbose answer!:(

An idea that I had at work today was "why not save the variety of teas and have a tea tasting party and only serve one kind of tea at the tea party? That's more traditional and you also get two parties."

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
shindeco said:
It's more about the quality of the tea. Teabags, by their very nature require very fine (that is to say, small) fillings. Granted, there are some very good quality teas that are very small leafed and could, in theory, be used in teabags. Unfortunately, that's not what usually happens. Tea manufacturers reserve the grades known as "fannings" and "dust" (which is literally that fine tea dust you find in the bottom of the canister!) for use in teabags because you don't see it and it brews up very quickly. It also gives an inferior tasting tea.

Tea also needs room for the leaves to expand as they steep. If you squeeze tea leaves, they release tannin which is the really bitter tasting part of tea. A tea bag forces the leaves to squeeze each other, releasing more tannin. If you like a bitter cup of tea, that's not a problem but it can interfere with the taste of more delicate teas like Darjeelings or Oolongs.

Boy, that's a pretty verbose answer!:(

An idea that I had at work today was "why not save the variety of teas and have a tea tasting party and only serve one kind of tea at the tea party? That's more traditional and you also get two parties."

but its the -right- verbose answer....which is what counts.

At the Ladies Tea Guild events that I attend, we always have one pot of a caffinated sort and one decaf. That way the decaf people are accounted for as well. When the teapot is empty, the hostess can then change the flavor if the group decides they want to try something else...but then thats the whole next pot that flavor rather then individual cups.

That has always worked well for us.

shindeco

A-List Customer
mysterygal said:
the only kind of tea I've ever had was from a tea bag....I'm interested in seeing , or tasting:) , tea that's from tea leaves

It's what I would call a "minor luxury" (like sleeping on clean sheets!). It actually doesn't cost much more than teabags

...well, it can. Beware! The tea bug can get you. Case in point; we're leaving on holiday next week and one of the highlights for me is a side trip to the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia where there are several tea estates that are open to the public!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
sounds like a fun trip! I think with just about anything, you can spend some big dough if you wanted too. Hope you find some great stuff!:)

16_sparrows

Vendor
Mrs. Foss said:
One of my favorite modern cookbooks in Square Meals by Jane and Michael Stern. It's fun even just to read. The first chapter has lots of great Tea and Luncheon ideas from vintage cookbooks. You might wnat to take a look.

~Mrs. Foss

Thanks for that title - I just got it yesterday and the entire book is true find. The "Ladies Lunch" section in the front will be very helpful for my tea party!

Thanks!

16_sparrows

Vendor
Thanks to everyone for the recipes and tips. Here are some photos of how the tea party turned out.

A little two tiered serving dish with lady fingers, nectarine cakes and thumbprint cookies
136452309_909dc14dda.jpg

I used sandalwood fans as not only the place settings, but as favors too.
136452310_7cb1118c47.jpg

I scored the lace and cotton napkins from Ebay as well and am so in love with them I use them for everyday. I ended up going with tea bags, but as last resort. I had the party on Easter Sunday and went to the tea shop the mornign of completely forgetting that it would be closed! So I ran to the food market and grabbed as many boxes of tea that I could. It prettied up the selection by putting them in smaller tea cups.

There was a lot on the menu and I'll be posting some recipes soon!

Kathleen Klein

New in Town
Tea in Cornwall

We stopped in Mossel Bay near Cornwall at a small
inn and had tea in the garden with clotted cream
and scones. A beautiful memory. It overlooked the sea.
Thanks so much for the recipes.

shindeco

A-List Customer
Tea Plantation Visit

Thought I should stick in an update. We got back from our holiday on Sunday. The visit to the tea plantation in Malaysia was great!! The Boh estate is one of the few estates anywhere that looks after every part of the tea producing process: from growing and harvesting the plants to processing the tea to packaging and marketing it. (It's the best seller in Malaysia; if you go into any grocery store there there are shelves and shelves of Boh tea). They also have tours of one of their plantations in the Cameron Highlands. You drive in through the tea fields (beautiful!) and get to visit the "factory". It's not very big but you see all the different steps in the tea making process. The thing that really struck me was the smell. The whole factory smelled like fresh tea! Of course, they also have a gift shop and tea shop. We sat on the deck overlooking the tea fields drinking the tea that was grown there; it was fabulous.

16_sparrows

Vendor
shindeco said:
Thought I should stick in an update. We got back from our holiday on Sunday. The visit to the tea plantation in Malaysia was great!! The Boh estate is one of the few estates anywhere that looks after every part of the tea producing process: from growing and harvesting the plants to processing the tea to packaging and marketing it. (It's the best seller in Malaysia; if you go into any grocery store there there are shelves and shelves of Boh tea). They also have tours of one of their plantations in the Cameron Highlands. You drive in through the tea fields (beautiful!) and get to visit the "factory". It's not very big but you see all the different steps in the tea making process. The thing that really struck me was the smell. The whole factory smelled like fresh tea! Of course, they also have a gift shop and tea shop. We sat on the deck overlooking the tea fields drinking the tea that was grown there; it was fabulous.

Wow, sounds like a wonderful time. I am quite jelous!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Kathleen Klein said:
We stopped in Mossel Bay near Cornwall at a small
inn and had tea in the garden with clotted cream
and scones. A beautiful memory. It overlooked the sea.
Thanks so much for the recipes.

I don't think there's a 'Mossel Bay' in Cornwall...
Do you mean Mousehole(pronounced Mouse'l), near Penzance..?
I had tea and scones there once- it is a great spot.

There is a Mossel Bay in S. Africa.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy