Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Teardrop Workshop

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for the pointer! I did peruse the thread in search of such an explanation, but it would seem I missed the relevant page. I have now realized up to now I tended to make c-crowns, although I do have teardrops too.

Maybe I should post some to see if I past the test... :D

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
Does anyone know if it is safe to use the steam that comes out of an ironing machine? Does it have to be distilled water or will tap water or bottled water do just fine?

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I use tap water and a portable steamer. Simular to this.
31U%2B3PyurcL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XH0KLM/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002JLWV96&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1BKJC5WVCE2HGDZ7MNQ8

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
Could someone, before I ruin my hat, explain as if you were to explain it to a child, how I go about 'denting' the top part? I understand the molding, and the center pinch and so on, but how does one actually 'start' the top part? Do you push with the entire hand? If someone could take a picture where you show how you go about that (at the back of the hat, where he says to 'fold down') or something, I'm afraid I do not understand exactly at the moment :)

Thanks

Does anyone know if it is safe to use the steam that comes out of an ironing machine? Does it have to be distilled water or will tap water or bottled water do just fine?

Distilled water is used for the benefit of the steamer itself. If you are using a pot or tea kettle, tap water is fine. The steam will not transfer the sediment from the water. That stuff will stay in the kettle. HTH

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Jantjeuh - sounds funny, but I mould my hats around a rolling pin to get an even centre crease.

Don't worry about messing up your hat, these things are pretty tough.

Could someone, before I ruin my hat, explain as if you were to explain it to a child, how I go about 'denting' the top part? I understand the molding, and the center pinch and so on, but how does one actually 'start' the top part? Do you push with the entire hand? If someone could take a picture where you show how you go about that (at the back of the hat, where he says to 'fold down') or something, I'm afraid I do not understand exactly at the moment :)

Thanks

Don't get too hung up on starting it. Unless you really pinch a crease in tight, the felt pushes right back out. I mark the front, looking in a mirror, lining up with my nose. I place a paper clip in the band ribbon. Then I start at the back since it will be deeper than the front to get that tug boat shape. I use my finger tips to push down the back of the crown so the rear crease is about 4" from the brim. I spin the hat around a work the front to get the front peak lined up with my marker, again, using my finger tips. HTH

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
depends how much crown you have to work with, but I recently did this to my Christys and my Sunbody. The sunbody, has less crown, I supported the front corners from inside the crown using my fingers and then pulled the c into a diamond...i had to coerce this as the hat is not designed to have that shape.

The christy's is more, well was more stove pipe but then tapered- I put n the center dent then used my fingers insider the crown to push out the sides behind the front pinch -forming the triangle. then i just made the back of the crown another triangle, rather than a C; ran my fingers along the crown, basically.

make sense?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
They're pretty similar creases, so I'd imagine the biggest issue will be the felt trying to fold back into the crease it has "remembered." I would pop it back open crown. I don't know about everyone else, but when I do the diamond crease, I start with the open crown hat, and first do the center dent. From there I look down at the hat from the top and find the right point for the side points on the diamond, and push those down. Then I look at the back of the hat to make sure the sides are even and adjust the rear point for the desired amount of rake.

If the felt is not acting the way you want it to, it may be useful to mist the crown with distilled water from a spray bottle.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

In my experience, turning a round hat into something with kind of square corners is difficult. I had to wet my Resistol twice before it took a decent diamond bash. If you keep at it, it will eventually stay.

The hat was too short for the diamond bash, so it went to a Boss of the Plains style.

Lager

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
A fellow Lounger recently asked me for some advice on doing a teardrop crease. I wrote a fairly detailed response, and thought it might be of more general interest. So, here goes...

Here's the basic teardrop formula. I do all of my creasing in front of a mirror (actually with a 3-way mirror), and I use steam to shape the crease...
Any chance on a video tutorial? :D

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
I found something that might help! I don't think this quite follows the original tutorial per say because it's less steps but this is on a Gorin Bros hat, soft suede like rabbit fur felt that you can just shape dry.
TurnoftheCentury1.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
The Teardrop is my preferred choice of creases. Like in the photos above, I start with a Center Dent. As I'm creasing, I constantly check the inside of my hat for symmetry and smoothness. I crease my hats from the outside and also from the inside.

A few of my conversions with Teardrops:

Resistol Stagecoach:
Resistol-Whippet-8-A.jpg

Resistol-Whippet-15-A.jpg

Resistol-Whippet-18-A.jpg

Another Resistol Stagecoach:
Gray-Converted-Stagecoach-11-A.jpg

Gray-Converted-Stagecoach-15-A.jpg

Thoroughbred Western refurb:
Thoroughbred-Redo-11-A.jpg

Thoroughbred-Redo-4-A.jpg

Another of my Stagecoach conversions:

Brushed-Finish-Chestnut-17.jpg

Brushed-Finish-Chestnut-16.jpg

Brushed-Finish-Chestnut-11.jpg

Brushed-Finish-Chestnut-12.jpg

For me, I think a Teardrop crease gives a nice full looking crown....

ruvort

One of the Regulars
The Teardrop is my preferred choice of creases. Like in the photos above, I start with a Center Dent. As I'm creasing, I constantly check the inside of my hat for symmetry and smoothness. I crease my hats from the outside and also from the inside.

A few of my conversions with Teardrops:

Resistol Stagecoach:
Resistol-Whippet-8-A.jpg

Resistol-Whippet-15-A.jpg

Resistol-Whippet-18-A.jpg

Another Resistol Stagecoach:
Gray-Converted-Stagecoach-11-A.jpg

Gray-Converted-Stagecoach-15-A.jpg

Thoroughbred Western refurb:
Thoroughbred-Redo-11-A.jpg

Thoroughbred-Redo-4-A.jpg

Another of my Stagecoach conversions:

Brushed-Finish-Chestnut-17.jpg

Brushed-Finish-Chestnut-16.jpg

Brushed-Finish-Chestnut-11.jpg

Brushed-Finish-Chestnut-12.jpg

For me, I think a Teardrop crease gives a nice full looking crown....
I'm curious, is that some sort of stitch awl in the second picture?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana