Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Teenage Photos of YOU - If You Dare!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
If you're in your 20s or beyond, what did you look like as a teenager? Show us -- if you dare. ;)

Here's me at 16 in 1983, at a Christmas event somewhere. Was wearing a navy blue blazer, semi-spread collared shirt, wool 'shepherd's check' necktie, my grandfather's pocket handkerchief, a scarlet merino wool vest from 'Brooks Brothers', medium gray flannel trousers, and black 'Weejuns penny loafers.

IMG_4615.jpg

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I went in the opposite direction: preppy, then punkish, then goth (which was called 'new romantic' back then), then -- well, pretty much what I am now. Thought about going necrobilly, but didn't bother.

It was fun, though, right? I have many fond memories. after my phases I guess I have pretty much steadily been dressing the same. I love black but I'm not goth.*

*But I love walking in cemeteries and gloomy Victorian era poetry.

Edward

Bartender
67257_1566896426377_1654413332_1389564_190120_n.jpg

Not teenage, but this is the earliest photo I have of myself that has bee digitised (I don't actually possess any photos of myself under the age of 18, which doesn't bother me in the least). This was taken on 17th May 1997, so I'd have been twenty-two and a half. Wearing quite a typical outfit for me at the time - wool blazer, band T-shirt, jeans and black Converse Chuck Taylors. Hair model's own (yes, I had some once). This was around three months after I had taken to wearing blazers a lot - it became something of a signature look for a couple of us. The pockets were wonderfully convenient too. FWIW, this photograph was taken in Belfast Zoo, and I am indeed cheekily standing behind a locked gate labelled as strictly not for public access. It was round the back of one of the enclosures.... one of the bird species, I believe. I wasn't that daft. The hardest thing to believe is not so much that I did this (wouldn't dream of it now), but how I got there. I remember very clearly: I vaulted that gate. If, nearly fourteen years later, I attempted that again.... well, let's just say it would not be dignified.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
No Marc, the hats were mine! Dad was just the photographer. (I'm sure I've mentioned here before that I went through a formative hat-collecting phase from when I was about 10 years old until college.)

I still have most of them - including the Stetson derby, the deerstalker, and the "safari hat" (cheap wool, mail-ordered from a magazine ad) in the pictures - but alas, most of them are 6-7/8 and I've gradually increased in size to a 7-1/8.

Unfortunately, that gorgeous Stetson homburg was later destroyed after we'd reshaped it into a "gangster fedora" for a cable TV show sketch about a decade later. But I still have a box full of my old hats - a couple of toppers, a fez, a boater, a WWII surplus leather flying helmet (my first collectible hat, purchased at Marine Specialties in Provincetown in 1965... for $1!), a couple of kaffiyehs that friends brought back from Israel, assorted foreign military caps, a chef's toque, etc...

Yeah, I'm a hat guy from way back!

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I have better photos somewhere, but here's an iffy scan of my senior picture from high school, taken in the fall of 1975.

me_hischool.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21