Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell me about Harris Tweed?

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Haversack said:
I do lament the passing of the British clothier GA Dunn & Co. They were great purveyors of Harris Tweed at reasonable prices. It used to be that every High Street had a Dunn & Co store. When I was stationed in Europe back in the '80s, I would always get a new jacket whenever I happened to hit the UK. Alas, what fit the young and active no longer fits the older and sedentary. And Dunn's Harris Tweed jackets were none of this modern tissue-weight bumf either. Solid clothes they were. When I get back to England next year I'm hoping to have some luck in finding some of these jackets in the used clothings stores.

Haversack.
you'll find plenty, particularly in the charity (thrift) shops in the small country towns. Mostly "modern" i.e. 1960s-90s. Typical price about £5.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Hello, Gentlemen,

Sorry to barge in here, but I have a question about Harris tweeds. We bought one for our son on eBay and the label says, "DYED, SPUN, HANDWOVEN AND FINISHED IN THE OUTER HEBRIDES OF SCOTLAND"--also says 100% Pure Scottish Wool, tailored in the USA. It has suede elbow patches, leather buttons and the fabric is wonderful. However, I am noticing that it is lined only through the sleeves, down the fronts and part way down the back, but not the full back. Is that indicitive of lesser quality or is this normally the way they look? The fabric is fairly heavy and itchy! Thanks!

MB5

One of the Regulars
I just purchased a Dunn & Co. Harris Tweed sportcoat. The sleeves are too short, but I think I can let them out 1.25," that should make the fit better, but not perfect.

DSC00836.JPG

Viviene

Vendor
Just a bit of information about Harris Tweed Jackets. I recently purchased 3 for my vintage store. I needed to get a date as to when they were made. I emailed the Harris Tweed Company (go to their website at http://www.harristweed.com/) and click on their contact button. A lovely young lady advised me that on the Harris Tweed labels there is a six digit number. With that number she was able to tell me who purchased the tweed from them and the approximate dates. I was able to then date the coats using that information. So if you have some jackets and want to know how old they are (if you are not the original owner) then you'll be able to do it.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I've got two, but what size should my next one be?

Hi Moustache and All,

Sorry to change the subject a bit, but this thread has renewed my interest in Harris Tweed and I have a question. First, though, let me address the subject Moustache raises here. I've got two Harris Tweed jackets, one of which my father gave to me twenty-five years ago. Sadly, both are now a bit too small for me. So this brings me to my question.

I'm thinking of buying another Harris Tweed blazer on e-bay. Over the years I've bought a boat load of vintage flight jackets there, but never a blazer. Should I go with the tagged size of the jacket? The reason I ask is that, at least with respect to flight jackets, the chest measurement of a larger size jacket should be about four inches greater than the tagged size. But most of the size 46 Harris Tweed jackets I've seen, regardless of maker, only measure to 48 inches.

I guess another way to word my question is, do Harris Tweed jackets generally run small, or does it just depend on the brand?

Thanks in advance,

Atticus Finch

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Etienne said:
However, I am noticing that it is lined only through the sleeves, down the fronts and part way down the back, but not the full back. Is that indicitive of lesser quality or is this normally the way they look? The fabric is fairly heavy and itchy! Thanks!

You are describing a quarter lined jacket. It's not indicative of lesser quality as some of the finest makers employ its use. In fact, it's actually more costly to produce since the seams aren't hidden by the lining and must be properly finished. Quarter lining serves to make a jacket a bit cooler and lighter but as you mention, an itchy tweed could be problematic.

picture0163ma.jpg

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I saw it hanging across the store. The first thing I noticed was the beautiful tweed, almost immediately I noticed the pleated patch pockets:

A detail of the breast pocket (that's my cell phone in the pocket):

I almost couldn't believe my eyes; those sorts of pockets are a 30s style choice. Usually they come complete with an action back. There's no way it could have an action back. I walked over to it and almost fell over:

The action back in action, decent armholes too:

Of course, my size was not to be found, but wait... all the way in the back... excellent!

And the store? You would never guess:

This is truly the finest production model Harris Tweed jacket I have ever seen. The tweed is the color of moss on wet stone with a streak of gold like the golden light at sunset. Beautiful.

I didn't realize it was Harris Tweed until I got out of the store. The cashier said it was, but I thought she was using the term generically.

Anyway, I am very happy with it and I am curious what you all think.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Super-fine jacket Hem! Tweed + pleated pockets + action back = sharp and stylish. What a great find!

You're lookin' lean and mean (okay, not mean, but very happy!) too, sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points