Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell me about Harris Tweed?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I appreciate them very much.

OK, there were a couple of questions and specific comments:

Matt Deckard said:
check out the jacket halfway down the page... look familiar?

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=2477&page=2
That is funny. There is a date on the manufacturer tag which says: "Season Fall 2005." So, it took 2 years for it to hit the outlet.

Atomic Glee said:
That's outstanding, Hem! What a great jacket. You're looking great, as well. Would love to know your diet secrets.
Thanks, my good friend!

I will, for the first time, reveal my dieting secret! No french fries, no fast food, no donuts, modest lunches, and get active in the community. I lost 20 lbs in three months. I am a lean 183 lbs and I am 6'2".

Kentucky Blues said:
And Hemingway, I have a question.... how much did it run you, and did they have it in a size 36? Or better fitting, a 32 extra long?lol
Seriously though, Very Nice Jacket :):eusa_clap

It was $350, which is not cheap. The original price was something like $600, then down to $400 with $50 off, but I couldn't pass it up. I think it was worth it and I am sure I will wear it often.

They did have a whole range of sizes.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If it's an outlet item it might be worth keeping an eye on ebay sellers like armyhardhat and franklin_tv who deal in BB outlet merchandise from the 'real' outlet in Garland, NC. Of course, it still may be awhile before they filter down that far.

Congratulations on the weight loss. I've got to knock off 10 lbs. or so to get into good fighting weight. My trousers are getting too snug.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Alan Eardley
If you're all so keen on that style, you guys should club together and send someone to Scotland to take some jackets home. In some towns there shops with racks full of jackets like that.

Alan, Please post or PM some locations in Scotland. I have plenty of frequent flyer miles that I might use for such a trip. :)

Hemingway, Nice jacket and you wear it well.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Awesome...

...and just in time for the crisp fall weather for which it will be perfect. You need to plan a mad, mad New England fall country get-away. Be sure to pack a few great cigars, or perhaps a pipe.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
dr greg said:
Very nice, I had a run of Harris Tweed recently, more your standard jackets though, I found 3 of the buggers in one week, all mint, probably 50's and for less than $20 all up, Keep one sell the other two...too bad it's coming on summer here.

I got quite an interesting one for my son a year ago in a weave that I have never seen before - incredible ropey style brown combinations. It was made by Hammerton Park which was some licensed USA outfit that made jackets back in the 60s/70s Down Under - I have found a few older jackets with that name when thrifting.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Great Score, Mr. Jones!

You bagged a good one.
As usual, your good taste is only exceeded by your good luck!

_tone

New in Town
i have a herringbone weave linen suit from brooks bros and the jacket has similiar details, with the belted back and the gusseted(?) shoulders. it must have been a phase they were going through recently. great looking jacket, and you wear it well. i'd dearly love to find a proper harris tweed suit.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I just bought my own Harris Tweed jacket/suit coat.

I love the fabric and it is the real Harris Tweed. The cut is rather 50s - which I like a lot. It really reminds me of the style of coat Ed Exley et al wore in L.A. Confidential.

Here's me just now:

SSL11637.jpg

SSL11640.jpg

SSL11638.jpg

SSL11642.jpg

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
What a tweed bargain!

I just found a 3 button Harris Tweed jacket at the Salvation Army store. Tagged at $7.99, I only paid $3.99 because it was "half-off" day!!!!
000_0032.jpg

It has the orb tag that is from the 1930s-40s but the lapels suggest (to me) later than that. It does have the leather buttons.
000_0029.jpg

Any thoughts on dating? Also, is this a fall, spring or winter coat?
000_0031.jpg

I still need to have my tailor cut it down for me and it needs a good pressing.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Brian Sheridan said:
I just found a 3 button Harris Tweed jacket at the Salvation Army store. Tagged at $7.99, I only paid $3.99 because it was "half-off" day!!!!
000_0032.jpg

It has the orb tag that is from the 1930s-40s but the lapels suggest (to me) later than that. It does have the leather buttons.
000_0029.jpg

Any thoughts on dating? Also, is this a fall, spring or winter coat?
000_0031.jpg

I still need to have my tailor cut it down for me and it needs a good pressing.
Sweet jacket, Brian. What really makes it for me is that unusual pattern; unusual for Harris Tweed, It is a beauitufl tweed.
As for dating, it is a fairly recent jacket. I have seen the older tags and this is not one of them. But you need not take my word; it has numbers on the tag you can enter into a database at the Harris Tweed authority on the net somewhere and it will tell you when it was woven.

The two buttons on the sleeve is a nice touch. It has three buttons. I would imagine it was made in this century, meaning the last eight years. It looks similar to some of the J Crew offerings of a few years back. No other tags???

Fantastic jacket. I would make that part of my collection in a nanosecond.
Fall, spring or winter??? Yes, yes, and yes. :)

Jay

Practically Family
Only Hem could post a jacket that gets 6 months worth of compliments...

I'm also on the jealous-of-stylish-coat bandwagon. I'll have to keep an eye out for one...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko