Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell me about Harris Tweed?

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
It is every bit the jacket promised! Excellent find.

Waitaminute... you spoke with the jacket before he bought it?!

And Hemingway, I have a question.... how much did it run you, and did they have it in a size 36? Or better fitting, a 32 extra long?lol

Seriously though, Very Nice Jacket :):eusa_clap

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Perfect! Tres cool. I rented "It appened One Night" Saturday night and saw it for the first time. What was I paying exclusive attention to? The jacket backs, of course. Yards of material in every jacket back! lol

Micawber

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
That actually looks really good.

I have a few BB jackets and they Bi-swings in the past have always looked terrible... As long as it looks good it's totally worth it.

Did the Fedora Lounge bring back the belt back?

As an aside bi swings (or action backs) are popular over here with the countrysports fraternity as they offer greater freedom of movement when mounting a rifle and swinging a shotgun. I have several suits and jackets with them for that very reason, several of which include a belt too. Such outfits are commonly available off the peg.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Harris Tweed

If you're all so keen on that style, you guys should club together and send someone to Scotland to take some jackets home. In some towns there shops with racks full of jackets like that.

Alan

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Price and armholes, maybe lapels, buttonstance and the like might still make people turn back to the past or over to Asia.

Am I right to think that the fabrics are less of an issue in the case of tweed, or Harris tweed in particular? Probably still lighter and softer, but unless you consider the itchy part a wanted feature rather than a side effect, modern tweeds seem to keep the shape or drape, too, and they tend to be warm as well.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
Price and armholes, maybe lapels, buttonstance and the like might still make people turn back to the past or over to Asia.

Am I right to think that the fabrics are less of an issue in the case of tweed, or Harris tweed in particular? Probably still lighter and softer, but unless you consider the itchy part a wanted feature rather than a side effect, modern tweeds seem to keep the shape or drape, too, and they tend to be warm as well.

I'm not sure what you mean. With Harris Tweed (and any other regional tweed) the fabric is everything. If it isn't from Harris it isn't Harris tweed and the crofter weavers are keen to keep it that way. Likewise in Lewis and Donegal. Strangely, the good people of Derby don't seem so stroppy. And keepers rarely fight over the use of their name.

That's why so many excellent garments are made in Italy from authentic Celtic regional tweed. I like them for their quality (I have several Italian tweed suits or jackets myself) but they never quite get the cut right ITO replicating the originals - armholes, lapels, pockets etc. - just the details you mention.

IMO they are more of an interpretation of an original style garment than a reproduction - something like a Ralph Lauren blazer or flight jacket.

Alan

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I was simply asking if there are any major differences between today's tweed fabrics and those of 50 or 70 years ago, and so, if this alone might be a reason for people to prefer vintage jackets.

I wasn't raising any doubts about the quality as in "good or bad", and apart from that, personally, I certainly don't mind fabrics that don't scratch, for instance.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
I was simply asking if there are any major differences between today's tweed fabrics and those of 50 or 70 years ago, and so, if this alone might be a reason for people to prefer vintage jackets.

I wasn't raising any doubts about the quality as in "good or bad", and apart from that, personally, I certainly don't mind fabrics that don't scratch, for instance.

Shaul-Ike,

If you are talking about authentic regional Tweed, there is no difference between what is produced today and what was produced by the same means (and sometimes even by the same people) 70 years ago. The quality control process ensures that.

With some of the diminishing number of traditional UK tailoring firms who have made jackets from Tweed, many of the styles have not changed in 70 years either. It is still possible (but not so easy) to buy hacking jackets, Norfolk jackets, shooting jackets etc. that have been in continuous production for that time. Phillips and Piper, from Micawber's neck of the woods, started trading in 1855.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy