Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tenjinworks leather jackets - which one to go for and sizing advice

JS02 OR JS03

• Total voters

mikeynyc

New in Town
Inspired by this post from almostvintagestyle, I am wanting to pull the trigger on a tenjin works leather jacket: https://almostvintagestyle.com/2018...cket-brands-list/comment-page-1/#comment-2182

I have a couple selection questions, and would love your thoughts and opinions. And if anyone has general experience with tenjinworks I would love to hear thoughts in terms of quality vs some of the other top brands, aging over time, and advice for ordering.

The two jackets i am debating are JS02 or JS03. I heard the JS02 is the older style and the JS03 is a newer style. The JS03 has more adjustable wasitband, pleats in the back, and zippers on the pockets, although the zippers can be removed. Questions:

1) Which style do you think is better? I was initially leaning towards the Js02 because that seems to be the one in all their fade competitions, but they are telling me that the js03 is the newer model and more popular recently. They look pretty similar to me.

JS02: http://www.tenjinworks.com/product/item/detail.php?id=61
JS03: http://www.tenjinworks.com/product/item/detail.php?id=5000

2) Type of leather: I am definitely going for the natural tan color, but they have two options: Kip leather and regular cowhide. The kip leather is shinier and softer according to them, and has more oil, and thus can potentially age faster. The cow leather is stiffer and more rigid. I think for the product page for JS03 it is the kip leather displayed and for JS02 the regular cow leather is displayed. I never have used kip leather before or seen it, particularly in jackets. Apparently it is more used in baseball gloves. Which do you think will age and patina better over time, and what are some considerations in choosing between the two?

4) Pocket zippers or not. If I were to get the Js03, i can choose to get pocket zippers or no pocket zippers. Am leaning towards no pocket zippers because when I heard that for those that wear a watch (and I like to wear watches) having zippers in the handwarmer pockets can scratch the watch. Would do a zipper in the chest pocket. Any strong views here?

3) Size. Do you find that the tenjin jackets tend to fit tight or loose? I am a fairly slim build, 140lbs 5 ft 8 inches. I generally wear a size 36 for suit jacket 36 for denim jackets, although I tried a fine creek leather jacket and the 36 is too tight so I usually go with size 38 for fine creek Richmond, although the fine creeks tend to be fitted quite slim I think. Am debating between size 36 and 38 for Tenjin. Any thoughts here would be much appreciated

Attachments

• js03.jpg
    js03.jpg
    799.7 KB · Views: 1,041
  • js02.jpg
    js02.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 577

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
4) Pocket zippers or not. If I were to get the Js03, i can choose to get pocket zippers or no pocket zippers. Am leaning towards no pocket zippers because when I heard that for those that wear a watch (and I like to wear watches) having zippers in the handwarmer pockets can scratch the watch. Would do a zipper in the chest pocket. Any strong views here?
When I have a choice, I go for pockets with zippers because I find they keep their shape better that way.

JS03 all the way!
It’s a version of the classic Hercules or Goodwear Imperial... no zippers on handwarmers. :)if the Kip is slightly thinner but ages the same as their Original leather then I’d go for this.
I never liked the dip in the back of the 02

Last edited:

dwilson

A-List Customer
Having the two I prefer no zippers on the pockets. I don't have to worry about the teeth scratching the leather on my sleeves if I shove my hands in there. Sometimes I do enjoy the safety of zipping up my phone in my hand pockets but in general I prefer the comfort of no zips if your plan is to routinely keep your hands in them.

Kunja

Practically Family
I found the Tenjin 42 to to be on slim fitting side of the spectrum, in the arms particularly. Their 42 was closer to 40 for me. Great jacket though, superb quality.

marker2037

Practically Family
I prefer no zippers on handwarmers as I tend to want the zippers closed on pockets if I have them, and then it sort of defeats the purpose of being able to slide my hands in easily. Also, the zippers can scratch and be uncomfortable at times.

mikeynyc

New in Town
JS03 all the way!
It’s a version of the classic Hercules or Goodwear Imperial... no zippers on handwarmers. :)if the Kip is slightly thinner but ages the same as their Original leather then I’d go for this.
I never liked the dip in the back of the 02
Thanks for the thoughts. Why do you like no zippers on handwarmer pockets? Another fellow posted and said they like zippers because the jacket tends to hold shape better

mikeynyc

New in Town
I found the Tenjin 42 to to be on slim fitting side of the spectrum, in the arms particularly. Their 42 was closer to 40 for me. Great jacket though, superb quality.
Thanks for the thoughts. Can I ask if you are on the slimmer build side of the spectrum? Wondering if the tenjin sizing is more for an slimmer build body style

mikeynyc

New in Town
Having the two I prefer no zippers on the pockets. I don't have to worry about the teeth scratching the leather on my sleeves if I shove my hands in there. Sometimes I do enjoy the safety of zipping up my phone in my hand pockets but in general I prefer the comfort of no zips if your plan is to routinely keep your hands in them.
Good point makes sense, not just scratching watch but scratching phone or sleeves of shirts. I'll go no zips

mikeynyc

New in Town
I have their red cowhide, it is not too spongy or stiff, a nice balance. Their patterns tend to be confotable. I bought it when no Flat Head or RMC could fit me well

LTxrJjy.jpg
That's really nice! How did you find the ordering proess and do they refund the vat taxes do you remember?

jeo

One Too Many
Inspired by this post from almostvintagestyle, I am wanting to pull the trigger on a tenjin works leather jacket: https://almostvintagestyle.com/2018...cket-brands-list/comment-page-1/#comment-2182

I have a couple selection questions, and would love your thoughts and opinions. And if anyone has general experience with tenjinworks I would love to hear thoughts in terms of quality vs some of the other top brands, aging over time, and advice for ordering.

The two jackets i am debating are JS02 or JS03. I heard the JS02 is the older style and the JS03 is a newer style. The JS03 has more adjustable wasitband, pleats in the back, and zippers on the pockets, although the zippers can be removed. Questions:

1) Which style do you think is better? I was initially leaning towards the Js02 because that seems to be the one in all their fade competitions, but they are telling me that the js03 is the newer model and more popular recently. They look pretty similar to me.

JS02: http://www.tenjinworks.com/product/item/detail.php?id=61
JS03: http://www.tenjinworks.com/product/item/detail.php?id=5000

2) Type of leather: I am definitely going for the natural tan color, but they have two options: Kip leather and regular cowhide. The kip leather is shinier and softer according to them, and has more oil, and thus can potentially age faster. The cow leather is stiffer and more rigid. I think for the product page for JS03 it is the kip leather displayed and for JS02 the regular cow leather is displayed. I never have used kip leather before or seen it, particularly in jackets. Apparently it is more used in baseball gloves. Which do you think will age and patina better over time, and what are some considerations in choosing between the two?

3) Size. Do you find that the tenjin jackets tend to fit tight or loose? I am a fairly slim build, 140lbs 5 ft 8 inches. I generally wear a size 36 for suit jacket 36 for denim jackets, although I tried a fine creek leather jacket and the 36 is too tight so I usually go with size 38 for fine creek Richmond, although the fine creeks tend to be fitted quite slim I think. Am debating between size 36 and 38 for Tenjin. Any thoughts here would be much appreciated
I have the JS02 in the natural tochigi cowhide in a size 36. The fit is practically identical to my Flat Head single riders in 36 except for the front/back length ratios. The FH has a slight front drop whereas the Tenjin has a back drop. If you have any experience with FH that would give you an idea for fit.

I would go with the JS03 since I like that design better with the natural tochigi instead of the Kip w/ pocket zippers.

Saila

New in Town
any reason you wouldn't get in kip leather
I have the JS02 in the natural tochigi cowhide in a size 36. The fit is practically identical to my Flat Head single riders in 36 except for the front/back length ratios. The FH has a slight front drop whereas the Tenjin has a back drop. If you have any experience with FH that would give you an idea for fit.

I would go with the JS03 since I like that design better with the natural tochigi instead of the Kip w/ pocket zippers.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
kips are basically calfs or young cows used for veal meat production. And cows are usually steers used for beef production. although some female cows used for milk production also ended up there too, they're just more stretch marks and smaller skins than the steer (beef) ones.
I think it would depend on the thickness that the maker decides to use. generally speaking younger cows will have cleaner skins because they have had less time to scar themselves. grains are tighter but sometimes too smooth for the grain lovers.
JS02 seems to be the most popular model in the Japanese domestic market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ