Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tesi straw Hats...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I'm curious about the Tesi straw hats sold at Bencraft, particulary the Genuine Montecristi and the Parabuntal one. I PMed Besdor but he hasn't answered. Does anybody here own one of these two? is the Genuine Montecristi reall a Montecristi? Do any of these two hats have, inside the crown, a tip sticker (mini liner kind of thing that covers just the center of the hat?)
Thanks for the info.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I have the linen/straw and sisal. They both have the bencraft piece in the middle. I am very happy with them both and they are very fine hats. I`ve found they don`t respond so well to mail, but they are very fast responders to an order...like 24 hours and it`s on its way. You can`t go wrong with Tesi..those prices are really good. Give them a try...you will not be disapointed.

Bencraft Tesi Parabuntal

I have one of the Bencraft Tesi Parabuntals and it is a very nice / stylish hat. It is also very light and airy. I bought it to compare to a Mayser Parabuntal of mine. The Tesi has much more snap compared to the Mayser but there is a trade off on softness. Here are some pictures.

3778202900_d8d93fc2e9_b.jpg

3777399423_3776314aa6_b.jpg

3778203032_c590c1ba5b_b.jpg

3778203262_5a14d5cb2a_b.jpg

3778203102_2bba2a373f_b.jpg

3777399581_114c0f25e7_b.jpg

3777399653_040138a6b3_b.jpg

For comparison you can see my Mayser Parabuntal at this link (just page down)

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=33795&page=7

The parabuntals are not hand woven. I was told my Mayser is Philippine parabuntal. I am not sure about the Tesi. Besdor probably knows.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Hmm... Interesting. Let's hope Besdor shows up and tells us a bit more about how this hats are woven. I really want one but want to go my research first.

mingoslim

Practically Family
That is a nice looking hat . . .

Can you give us the specs?
And could this hat be reblocked . . . or is it pretty much as is?

mingoslim said:
Can you give us the specs?
And could this hat be reblocked . . . or is it pretty much as is?

It is has a 3 brim and 5 inch crown. I am not sure if it could be re-blocked. As I mentioned it is crisp with a lot of snap so that could make re-blocking difficult. You should check with Bencraft if they have different blocks and brim widths / crown heights.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
10 years ago in a chemist shop (druggist) you could be a good quality parabuntal like the above from AUD30 made by Lucban Hats. Then they just disappeared from the shops and I got one last year by chance on holiday in size 59 NOS - almost too small. The trouble is steaming them to a shape is usually not succeessful as they buckle and contort a little.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
As far as I know, the bodies used used by Tesi such as Parabuntal ,sisol and balibuntal are from the far east. Buku as no longer made . As far as being weaved by hand, I doubt it although every delivery seems to come in different. The quality is getting to be less and less.
What Borsalino calls Baku today is actualy a fine sisol.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Altiori

One of the Regulars
I'm curious about the Tesi straw hats sold at Bencraft, particulary the Genuine Montecristi and the Parabuntal one. I PMed Besdor but he hasn't answered. Does anybody here own one of these two? is the Genuine Montecristi reall a Montecristi? Do any of these two hats have, inside the crown, a tip sticker (mini liner kind of thing that covers just the center of the hat?)
Thanks for the info.

I realize this is an old thread but am also interested in the Bencraft Tesi Montecristi. Is it really Montecristi? The price looks great as does the hat. I followed the thread its entirety but am unsure if the Montecristi question was addressed. Welcome any updates or a redirection if I missed something. Happy New Year to you all.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I remember reading some time ago that Tesi is a subsidiary of Borsalino. They're a reputable company, and I'd imagine if they say it's a Montecristi it probably is. I wouldn't be surprised if the bodies were bought in Equador and the hats manufactured in Colombia, as Borsalino makes some of their hats there. Just guessing, though.

se couvrir

One of the Regulars
I previously posted my vintage Tesi Florentine in the Post New hats thread, but the bump to this thread reminded me to also post it here. I suppose I should also post it in the Milan thread of which I was previously unaware until it was bumped - apologies if this seems like overkill!
IMGA0005 (1024x768).jpg

IMGA0005 (1024x768).jpg

IMGA0006 (1024x768).jpg

IMGA0007 (1024x768).jpg

IMGA0008 (1024x768).jpg

Chris

Attachments

• IMGA0004 (1024x768).jpg
    IMGA0004 (1024x768).jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 644
Last edited:

se couvrir

One of the Regulars
Thanks belfastboy and tropicalbob.
The original owner of this hat died in 1979, but I don't know when he bought it - I would be surprised if Tesi make anything like it today. Daniele might know.
Chris.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy