Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thank God for Ralph Lauren

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i went to the Double RL shop in Mount Street, London (off Berkeley Square) yesterday. i've been to the flagship store on New Bond street before; it has an expensive gentlemen's club look. lots of dark wood panelling and heavy leather chairs. the RRL store has a different vibe entirely; more like a 30s hardware store with distressed old props dotted around.

i must say, the attention to detail on the RRL work clothing is unbelievable. the fabrics are beautifully reproduced, gently faded and even spotted with rust here and there. the level of verisimilitude is almost fetishistic, right down to the paper labels all being just the right amount damp-wrinkled. The RRL Bowery boot (£800) has genuine deadstock 'Cat's Paw' rubber heels.

the downsides are really two:

-the price. around £350 for a pair of trousers, £150 for a pair of braces, £800 for a belt-back jacket.
-the low waists; when someone goes to the lengths that Ralph has gone to to reproduce the aesthetic of the 30s but then goes and puts low rises on everything... it just seems incomprehensible to me, and also like a lack of faith.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
-the price. around £350 for a pair of trousers, £150 for a pair of braces, £800 for a belt-back jacket.
-the low waists; when someone goes to the lengths that Ralph has gone to to reproduce the aesthetic of the 30s but then goes and puts low rises on everything... it just seems incomprehensible to me, and also like a lack of faith.
Yes. I believe if there was just the price we could have the chance to pick them up on ebay or in a thrift store but the low waist is really a bummer.

PS I think Skyvue bought a RRL sportscoat on Ebay and wasn't convinced by the quality. It would be interesting to hear other experiences.

Last edited:

billyspew

One Too Many
i understand that, i just wish he had the conviction and bloody mindedness to say to hell with trends... let's do these waists how they should be done !

I don't think he is trying to wholesale copy a look though, that's the problem (though he does a lot of that). He is trying to take inspirational looks from the past and modernise them. Of course, there's no reason to modernise them.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I think Skyvue bought a RRL sportscoat on Ebay and wasn't convinced by the quality. It would be interesting to hear other experiences.

i forgot to mention; i was really talking about the workwear stuff.

they have some suiting and sports-coats in the RRL store; some of the fabrics are nice 30s/40s looking pinstripes and POW checks etc. they look good but are very light weight when you touch them, and the linings / finishings have a very modern look. one of the store clerks showed me a belted back jacket and was saying how amazingly lightweight it was. i didn't bother go into a fabric weight rant.
so no, i'm not so impressed by the suits.

the thick cotton fabrics on the workwear stuff though... very nice.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah I see. Yes. I have a RL Beltback form the Chaps line and it isn't really heavy. It's not that thin as other sportjackets I have seen in stores though.

But do you really like pre-distressed work wear? I love their knits and would wish I was able to afford them. The pre distressed stuff not so much.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
But do you really like pre-distressed work wear? I love their knits and would wish I was able to afford them. The pre distressed stuff not so much.

not too distressed no (i.e with fake holes) but most of it is really just washed, and maybe faded a bit, which is fine by me.
the fake rust spots i agree are phoney, but you could almost view it like a film wardrobe dept, working hard to get the details right. there's something almost perverse about it that i find amusing.

Feraud

Bartender
i must say, the attention to detail on the RRL work clothing is unbelievable. the fabrics are beautifully reproduced, gently faded and even spotted with rust here and there. the level of verisimilitude is almost fetishistic, right down to the paper labels all being just the right amount damp-wrinkled. The RRL Bowery boot (£800) has genuine deadstock 'Cat's Paw' rubber heels.

the downsides are really two:

Agree on all points. The lengths they go to reproduce the workwear is practically destroyed on trousers with the horrible low rise.
I'd love to Q&A Ralph Lauren and ask him about it.

rue

I can't speak for the men's clothing obviously, but all the timeless RL clothing I've bought over the last 25 years is still in perfect condition. In fact, my daughter now wears a lot of the stuff that doesn't fit me anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21