Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thanksgiving Dinner

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

My dad's side of the family is getting together at my uncle's house. On that side of the family, I have 8 uncles, 2 aunts, and about forty first cousins. All of the uncles/aunts will show up, and probably half my cousins will be there, most of them with kids. At least 50 people will be there.

My aunts are all fantastic cooks, and my uncles aren't bad either. I expect sweet potato souffle, deep fried turkeys, cornbread dressing, giblet gravy, spicy chicken bog with saffron rice, field peas, butter beans, fried chicken, and an array of desserts, including several cobblers and homemade banana pudding made from my grandma's recipe.

I can't wait to get out of work at 2pm and on the road.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Just wanted to wish all my friends here a very happy & safe Thanksgiving weekend. WE had ours already last month, but my husband being a Yankee, sometimes we celebrate both. This year we are in the middle of a move:(

But, enjoy your turkeys and your families & whatever else you have planned!:)

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
Holidays are quite an event with my family.

My father and I used to work together at a concert venue, and our co-workers became quite the second family. Most of them (especially the bouncers) don't have family to speak of, so they all celebrate with us. We're expecting about 25 people or so tomorrow. Party starts around noon, and usually runs until 11 or 12.

On the menu:
2 Turkeys
1 Ham (That would be me... not much of a turkey fan, except in bowling)
Meat Pie
Yams
Stuffing
Green Beans
Asparagus
Spuds
Hawai'ian Rolls
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Cranberry Sauce
Berry Cobbler
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Spice Bars
Brownies
Chocolate Chip Cookies

And, of course, a variety of libations.

We don't really do the traditional, sentimental Thanksgiving... or any holiday, for that matter. It's always a chance to let loose, eat too much, and party with loved ones. :)

Oh, and don't forget ending the night with a few hours worth of poker. :)

-IL

lindylady

A-List Customer
Most of my family's in Ohio, but I have an uncle who lives nearby in Frederick, MD. I will be having Thanksgiving dinner with him and his family tomorrow.

Mojito

One Too Many
We picked up the tradition of doing Thankesgiving when we lived in the US, and my mother still organises a celebration (now I recall why she's asked me in for a roast dinner tonight!). It's an excuse to bring out all the special seasonal table settings and dishes.

She makes a sublime New England Clam Chowder, turkey with stuffing, twice baked potatoes, cauliflower au gratin etc etc.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I did a test run of the rolls tonight.
My good friend has posted articles about his Thanksgiving feast. He used to live here in New Orleans, and aspires to be a chef.

Anyway, I'm linking you to his series of Thanksgiving articles on our other website. It's the lead series right now at the Lifestyles Page over at Cigar Weekly You'll see my friend's ongoing column entitled "The Virtual Gourmand"

If you click on the link for the sides, you'll see Grandma Workman's rolls. I did a test run of these tonight, and DAMN, if they're not fantastic. Just about anything that Jason fixes is good. Take a look, give the rolls a try when you're not pressed for time.

The dough is a sticky dough, kind of unusual, so keep your hands floured really well. I'm going to make another batch tomorrow since we'll have 12 people, maybe 13 total. We (4 of us) ate a few tonight, and they'll go quickly.

Elaina

One Too Many
well, we had ours and did an abbreviated version.

20 lb. turkey.
Mom's stuffing
Cranberry sauce
Ambrosia
Mashed potatoes
Asparagus
deviled eggs, olives and stuffed celery
Homemade yeast rolls
sugar cookies
pumpkin pie
banana bread
banana creme pie
fudge

Usually I do more, but there was only the 3 of us.

warbird

One Too Many
You are right Red Pop, everything BigO Jason does is great. Everybody calls him BigO cause he looks just like a young Orson Wells.

I am trying several of his thanksgiving recipes this year, but all of his recipes I have used have been tremendous.

warbird

One Too Many
Michaelson said:
Thanks, RedPop4!

Guess they're having a heat wave up there tomorrow. They've lowered our expected temps down here, and I'm about 70 miles south east of Nashville. ;)

Regards! Michaelson

Where do you live, I am 30 miles SE of Nashville.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR