Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

That show got canceled!? I need to know what happens!!!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I dont own a TV, but with the recent onslaught of TV shows on DVD, Ive gotten myself into a pickle. Not only am I finishing shows in days, Im cheesed that some real good ones were taken off the air in less than 3 seasons.

Some recent faves:

Carnivale
Dead Like Me
Freaks and Geeks
Miracles
Earth 2
Firefly
Prey

Some of these shows had amazing cliffhangers, that will forever tear at the mental tapestry in my mind, wondering, what happened.
Anyone else got any faves to be put to sleep before 3 seasons?

Later,

LD

SGB

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
I dont own a TV, but with the recent onslaught of TV shows on DVD, Ive gotten myself into a pickle. Not only am I finishing shows in days, Im cheesed that some real good ones were taken off the air in less than 3 seasons.

Some recent faves:

Carnivale
Dead Like Me
Freaks and Geeks
Miracles
Earth 2
Firefly
Prey

Some of these shows had amazing cliffhangers, that will forever tear at the mental tapestry in my mind, wondering, what happened.

Later,

LD

Since I own Ben's truck from Carnivale, you know how I feel about HBO and their canceling of the show before the story was told, only 2 seasons of the 6 they signed on for.......

SGB

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was really surprised Six Feet Under only went (I believe) three seasons as well. Maybe that's some sort of unwritten law at HBO and Showtime - I know Disney only allows their series' to run something like 65 episodes maximum.

But that said, Six Feet Under had the absolutely best final episode of any series I've seen in a long time. They had a very clever way of tieing up all of the storylines and letting you know what happened to all of the characters. No, they didn't kill everyone off in some freak accident. But I won't say what did happen for those who haven't seen it.

And the all-time best final episode IMHO? The final episode of Newhart. The last couple of minutes were a complete and total surprise, and I just roared, along with the rest of America, the minute I heard Suzanne Pleshette in the dark. Brilliant!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mike in Seattle said:
I was really surprised Six Feet Under only went (I believe) three seasons as well. Maybe that's some sort of unwritten law at HBO and Showtime - I know Disney only allows their series' to run something like 65 episodes maximum.

But that said, Six Feet Under had the absolutely best final episode of any series I've seen in a long time. They had a very clever way of tieing up all of the storylines and letting you know what happened to all of the characters. No, they didn't kill everyone off in some freak accident. But I won't say what did happen for those who haven't seen it.

And the all-time best final episode IMHO? The final episode of Newhart. The last couple of minutes were a complete and total surprise, and I just roared, along with the rest of America, the minute I heard Suzanne Pleshette in the dark. Brilliant!

Im a HUGE Six Feet Under fan, and they went for 5 seasons. And I totally agree with you on their series finale. Its was stunning.

LD

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Class of '96. (Ah Kari Wuhrer NOW I remember!)
Birds of Prey
West Wing (I'm still saving the last 4 eps!)
Cold Feet UK (Such a sad ending!)

Take a look at epguides.com it's a great resource.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
The Nero Wolfe series on A&E. Rex Stout was a prolific author...TONS of material to work with and reruns of the original episodes are all over the place, so I'm assuming that the ratings were (and remain) strong. Shouldn't that tell the producers something?? [huh]

Pilgrim

One Too Many
The Wackiest Ship in the Army had one season - 1965 - and was a delight. It was first a movie with Jack Lemmon and Ricky Nelson, then became a TV show with Jack Warden and Gary Collins as the leads. That show was a hoot!

I saw the pilot for a "Three Musketeers" style show called "Panache" in 1976 - starring Rene Auberjonois (he currently plays the tall, slender partner on Boston legal whose daughter is a recovering drug addict). It was a wonderful pilot, well-written and full of swashbuckling. I hae always regretted it didn't catch on.

I can't think of any recent ones except Commander in Chief. If ever a show deserved a longer run, it was this show with Geena Davis cast as the President. She is a moxie lady and I enjoyed every minute of the shows that did air. I thought it was well written, and the show made an attempt to get behind the office and show the person.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:

Some recent faves:

Carnivale
Dead Like Me
Freaks and Geeks
Miracles
Earth 2
Firefly
Prey

Later,

LD

They made a movie to kind of finish up Firefly called Serenity. My wife and I both like Joss Weden's work, and we really liked the movie. It wrapped up the loose ends of an extremely short series.

SGB

One of the Regulars
Honest Abe said:
I really like Carnival and LOVED freaks and Geeks.

Maybe you can find the un-shot scripts on the web....

The rest of the Carnivale story remains in the head of the creator Daniel Knauf, no scripts were written that were not filmed. I have a bunch of the scripts, different editions (color) of each episode, which are fun to read and see the differences in the various drafts and the aired episodes. Unfortunatly HBO owns the rights to the show, all aspects of it including characters and story up to the last episode that aired. So, unless HBO releases those rights or sells them, the Carnivale story is dead. Only Dan Knauf knows what happens in the future story and he's not telling anyone, even, and especially HBO.

SGB

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Two GREAT shows from the '80s and '90s that got shuffled around and cancelled, despite huge letter-writing campaigns to save them:

-- "Frank's Place". New Orleans as it really is (or was).

-- "Home Front". A drama about what happened after our WWII GIs came marching home. Huge cast of characters, many stories, great acting!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hem and I were just talking about "Dead Like Me". We really loved that show, and thought it was cruel that they just left us hanging like that. No word that they weren't coming back for another season. They even aired commercials for an upcoming season that never came! So not fare to leave us hangin' like that.
I've recently become addicted to the show "Weeds" (no pun intended). I really like the character development, and it's just fun to watch. It's doing well enough on Showtime; Mary-Louise Parker won and Emmy (? never know which award is which) beating out the "Desperate Houswives"; that I don't think that they would just end it. But you never know what these crazy pay channels are gonna do. Elizabeth Perkins and Kevin Nealon are great too. I really hope that they finish the series, and don't live me hanging like "Dead Like Me".

Rosie

One Too Many
I really liked Dead Like Me. Six Feet Under was a GREAT show and had a fantastic ending, the song for the ending, everything, it was great. I was really sad that Arrested Development didn't get renewed :( . Anytime something smart and different comes on, it goes away. I think they may ditch My Name is Earl just because its one the funniest shows I've seen in a long time.

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
...Firefly

Later,

LD

There was a movie sequel that tied up the loose ends of Firefly, called Serenity, on DVD now.

RSG

Yes, On The Air. A David Lynch deal from what I recall. With David L. Landers (Squiggy) and the M.I.A. Ian Buchanan. (What did happen to that guy?)

'Get A Life' with Chris Elliot was cancelled far too soon. Only ran for 2 and 1/2 seasons I think. They really need to release that on DVD.

I had got into that contest/drama 'Push, Nevada' when it was on. And though the acting and writing were pretty bad, the premise was fresh. They ended up cancelling the show before they got to 13 episodes, so they crammed the last 5 episodes into 1 and of course it was a mess. I always did want to see where they were going to go with that plot.

Regards,

Sentaor Jack

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
One show that would fit here quite well, "Remember Wenn."

It is 1930s Pittsburgh, and college student Betty Roberts has won an internship at WENN, a station that specializes in radio shows. She finds that the employees of the shows are just as wacky as the characters they play on the radio. They include: Mackie Bloom, WENN's man of a thousand voices; Hilary Booth, queen of the stage who carries an over-inflated ego; Mr. Foley, WENNs sound effects man who never talks; Tom Eldridge, who is as clueless as a gnat; and Jeffery Singer, who is in a marriage of convenience with Hillary. Each week, we watch how the station members struggle to keep the station going.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115333/

I'd love to see this as a nice DVD set someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails