Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

That (sometimes) Vintage Smell

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently received two jackets and a Fair Isle sweater vest that have that awful, sickly sweet smell of human decay. The sweater I soaked in Woolite and white vinegar, which seems to have taken care of it pretty well, but the two jackets I'm a bit leery of giving the same treatment. I'm dropping them off at the cleaners today to be dry-cleaned, but I've found that that's not always 100% effective. Anyone have any tips?

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Ozone cleaning should work for it in theory.
I know what you mean by that moldy smell, that's why I always enquire about it when buying online.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Good grief... have you confirmed that no one died in them?
The very same thought crossed my mind. Strange that I get so many compliments about my car's smell of walnut and leather, a car that's 69 year's old, yet a leather garment, far less in years of manufacture, exudes a pungent, unagreeable pong. Did the original owner die and was buried in it?

-30-

A-List Customer
"I'm dropping them off at the cleaners today to be dry-cleaned, but I've found that that's not always 100% effective.
Anyone have any tips?"

Place the item within a large garbage bag and stuff new newsprint in and around it, sleeves as well, secure the bag. Return three days later and inspect, repeat with another batch of new newsprint if required. No muss, no fuss; Cheap & Cheerful; for hats, also.

Regards,
J T

tropicalbob

"I'm dropping them off at the cleaners today to be dry-cleaned, but I've found that that's not always 100% effective.
Anyone have any tips?"

Place the item within a large garbage bag and stuff new newsprint in and around it, sleeves as well, secure the bag. Return three days later and inspect, repeat with another batch of new newsprint if required. No muss, no fuss; Cheap & Cheerful; for hats, also.

Regards,
J T
Thanks very much. I'll try it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Interesting idea. It's one of the reasons I don't buy a lot of old clothing. I went into a flea market in Brooklyn, and there was a roomful of vintage gear and *that* smell just filled the place.

tropicalbob

I got the jackets back today but there's still a fair amount of smell. A friend suggested that I put them out in the sun for an hour or two, which makes sense to me so I'll try it tomorrow. If that doesn't work I'll try the newspaper strategy: I just hope I don't wind up smelling like death and yesterday's news (the horror). They're such effing nice jackets I'm determined to win. This is a matter of life and death.

-30-

A-List Customer
"If that doesn't work I'll try the newspaper strategy "

It may require a number of tries, but you should notice an improving difference,
each time changing the New newsprint.

Regards.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I got the jackets back today but there's still a fair amount of smell. A friend suggested that I put them out in the sun for an hour or two, which makes sense to me so I'll try it tomorrow. If that doesn't work I'll try the newspaper strategy: I just hope I don't wind up smelling like death and yesterday's news (the horror). They're such effing nice jackets I'm determined to win. This is a matter of life and death.
Oh lord. THIS is so easy to fix. COFFEE grounds...Vanilla bean coffee grounds.Large black lawn sized garbage bags....put your garments in the bag while it it laying flat on a table or any large flat surface. Place a small bowl of coffee grounds on top of the garments. Carefully tie the bag shut then wait 24 hours. Open the bag remove the bowl of grounds. The coffee grounds absorb the smell and then actually replace some Oder with a much more pleasant smell that will go away fairly quickly.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Have you considered using baking soda?

tropicalbob

Oh lord. THIS is so easy to fix. COFFEE grounds...Vanilla bean coffee grounds.Large black lawn sized garbage bags....put your garments in the bag while it it laying flat on a table or any large flat surface. Place a small bowl of coffee grounds on top of the garments. Carefully tie the bag shut then wait 24 hours. Open the bag remove the bowl of grounds. The coffee grounds absorb the smell and then actually replace some Oder with a much more pleasant smell that will go away fairly quickly.
Hmmm. Tonight's the newspaper initiative and tomorrow the coffee. I may be creating an entirely new fragrance: that ineffable death-news-coffee scent. Thanks very much for your suggestion and help. One factor that's driving my determination here is that one of the jackets is a real grail find: a 1960's thick, and very heavy, Harris Tweed in black and gray houndstooth, slightly larger than usual, with higher armholes, thin lapels, and an absolutely perfect fit (the label shows an Oxford St. shop). I have to take care of this right away as the tweed-wearing season down here is comparable to the growing season in Finland - about two months.

tropicalbob

"If that doesn't work I'll try the newspaper strategy "

It may require a number of tries, but you should notice an improving difference,
each time changing the New newsprint.

Regards.
I'm trying it tonight. I've got about three years' worth of the Times Literary Supplement to stuff the jackets with, and, if nothing else, they'll be fair-minded with just a slight sense of the absurd.

tropicalbob

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions. It was a little surprising to me that I couldn't find much on this topic here on the FL, as it's part and parcel with buying vintage clothes on the internet, as Sloan suggested. Anyway, I hope it helps others as well, and I'll keep you all posted on the results.

-30-

A-List Customer
" I've got about three years' worth of the Times Literary Supplement to stuff the jackets with "

It might be better to use New, Newsprint rather than an item that has already has "absorbed" it's historical surroundings.

Regards,
J T

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Hadn't thought of that. It was my mother's all-purpose smell remedy. Maybe a combination of the coffee and the baking soda? Thanks very much.
You may have to sprinkle the baking soda directly on the fabric and let it sit at least over night, but hey, it might work as good as anything else you could try. A light brushing would (should) get it back off the jacket or what ever you put it on. Keep it dry so you don't get any biscuits made....haha!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Interesting idea. It's one of the reasons I don't buy a lot of old clothing. I went into a flea market in Brooklyn, and there was a roomful of vintage gear and *that* smell just filled the place.

At times Vintage has that as a hazard, but in my experiences the majority of times I have purchase Vintage, there has been no obscene odors or anything negative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24