Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

That's it, I'm out. The ADS ARE RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
My Mac is one year old and I visit this site on Firefox. I don't have any of the problems some of you seem to have. No pop up ads, no floating ads, no ads covering content. I see ads on the left side of the screen and an occasional ad between posts. And those ads are static and don't move on their own.

I remember a lot of folks using it that way. I got a lot of flack for saying it in a social group recently, but honestly I don't believe you can both love music and settle for downloading mp3s as a sole or dominant format. I could never get away from wanting to own the physical artefact, then there's sound quality.... Back in the early days (before they started going after end users and thus I nixed my account - would have been professionally embarrassing at best...), I used Napster and then Morpheus to listen to stuff I already owned (technically infringing copies, yes, though at the time I figured as I'd already bought the CD what was the practical difference), and to download stuff that I simply couldn't buy anywhere else (or I already would have). I also used it to try new stuff - and perhaps ironically I bought far more CDs far more regularly than for several years afterwards. (Perhaps works in that I don't listen to commercial radio or any radio music stations, so I don't have that 'window' on the new nowadays.)

Interesting how the industry eventually started to 'get' digital. I gather the Hendrix Estate now sell downloads of just about every show of his that was ever recorded. Great for fans, though I'd still rather a nice quality, vinyl LP every time.

I was overwhelmed by the convenience of digital media, both physical and non, and succumbed to the technology (for good or for bad). So after awhile, I had to admit to myself I hadn't used a turntable in 20 years. I packed away my "stereo" long before that when I bought a complete Yamaha surround sound system with my first HD television and a few years ago sold off most of my classic LPs on eBay. Having spent several formative years applying my labor in old-fashioned record stores, I had some good stuff. Original copies of 60s and 70s classic rock, collectors editions, picture discs, colored vinyl, bootlegs, etc. Not surprisingly, my Zappa collection was in high demand; surprisingly (to me), The Clash was very popular and fetched some nice prices. I used the profits to buy hats.

I still have a very nice CD collection, but stream almost everything now - even in the car. As far as quality, after about 300 rock concerts and an inner ear infection that resulted in tinnitus on my left side, I think that ship has sailed for me.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
I almost exclusively access the Lounge on my android phone using Chrome. The ads have gotten better, though there are a pop ups every now and again. My biggest issue is loading speed. Sometimes it works well enough, but others it is so slow that I quit trying and do something else, even after clearing the cache and temporary internet files.

Have you the option of trying another browser? I haven't used a Mac since 1990, so I can't honestly claim to know what might be the issue there. I'm not experiencing speed problems with Chrome / Opera / Opera Lite / Firefox and Windows 10, but that's a whole different ballgame.

Not sure what that could be - have you tried a check on your broadband speed? It shouldn't be the ads... My understanding is that an ad blocker just doesn't download them, so the site should be accessible faster... ?

I had that happen once or twice last week, but not since.

Download speeds now compared to what they were twenty years ago is night and day. I remember Hollywood weren't worried about p2p when the music industry first was, as it took so long on dial-up to download a movie that the phone bill would cost more than buying the DVD...

I remember a lot of folks using it that way. I got a lot of flack for saying it in a social group recently, but honestly I don't believe you can both love music and settle for downloading mp3s as a sole or dominant format. I could never get away from wanting to own the physical artefact, then there's sound quality.... Back in the early days (before they started going after end users and thus I nixed my account - would have been professionally embarrassing at best...), I used Napster and then Morpheus to listen to stuff I already owned (technically infringing copies, yes, though at the time I figured as I'd already bought the CD what was the practical difference), and to download stuff that I simply couldn't buy anywhere else (or I already would have). I also used it to try new stuff - and perhaps ironically I bought far more CDs far more regularly than for several years afterwards. (Perhaps works in that I don't listen to commercial radio or any radio music stations, so I don't have that 'window' on the new nowadays.)

Interesting how the industry eventually started to 'get' digital. I gather the Hendrix Estate now sell downloads of just about every show of his that was ever recorded. Great for fans, though I'd still rather a nice quality, vinyl LP every time.

I don’t understand why the media you listen to it on would be a indicator of truly loving music. I think it holds more validity to say that hearing it live is more of a sign of loving music, but even that isn’t a litmus test.

I hear music and I don’t need the tactile experience of touching records, tapes, or discs anymore than I need to smell or taste them. To me, music is about the music.

It reminds me of when they first legalized marijuana here in California. The marketing people quickly found out that many customers (of which I am not one) wanted the pageantry and rituals of smoking weed and not just the psychoactive compounds in their bodies. They wanted to listen to the gurgle of their five foot dragon bong and to constantly relight their bowel. Some people really appreciate, and even need, the elaborate processes.

Me, I still can’t believe that it’s legal and they are getting closer to legalizing all drug use! Nancy Reagan must be rolling over in her grave.

I don’t understand why the media you listen to it on would be a indicator of truly loving music. I think it holds more validity to say that hearing it live is more of a sign of loving music, but even that isn’t a litmus test.

I hear music and I don’t need the tactile experience of touching records, tapes, or discs anymore than I need to smell or taste them. To me, music is about the music.

It reminds me of when they first legalized marijuana here in California. The marketing people quickly found out that many customers (of which I am not one) wanted the pageantry and rituals of smoking weed and not just the psychoactive compounds in their bodies. They wanted to listen to the gurgle of their five foot dragon bong and to constantly relight their bowel. Some people really appreciate, and even need, the elaborate processes.

Me, I still can’t believe that it’s legal and they are getting closer to legalizing all drug use! Nancy Reagan must be rolling over in her grave.

Well, I once picked up a used copy of the Mothers' "We're Only in it for The Money" that I had to clean a peanut butter and jelly stain off of. Somebody might be tasting them.

I smoked cigs for several years in my younger days. When I quit, the nicotinre withdrawal was unnoticeable, but my cravings increased when presented with a situation where I would normally have a smoke. After dinner was one, and getting in the car was another. I had always hopped in the car, lit up, and took off down the road.

Some years later, some college buds and I took to getting packs of Bugle tobacco that came with a pack of rolling papers. I got back to smoking a little bit, but mostly for the process of fiddling with the tobacco, rolling the cig, and then smoking it.

RossRYoung

Practically Family
I enjoy vinyl as a way to further immerse myself in the music. When you’re borderline obsessed with certain artists or genres, such as myself, sometimes your interests go beyond just the music. Liner notes, band member bios, group formation history’s, heck half my book shelf is music related. I also enjoy stimulants, coffee and alcohol, and recreational leaves. To me, they’re all closely related and to enforce one but not the others is still something I laugh at. To each their own though, no judgement here.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Is anyone else experiencing a "problem" with the text box (at the bottom of the screen) that we all use to post and reply? I'll type my response, click on "Post Reply", and after the reply is posted the text of whatever I typed remains in the box; I have to highlight it and delete it manually. Before the "Pop-Up Ad" kerfuffle I didn't have this problem. BTW, Firefox Browser version 87.0 on a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10. :D
Yes and hell yes.
Iphone + AdBocker Plus...still no adds, never has been for me but since the new “whatever” the post reply after use retains a copy of the reply. I haven’t experimented much but have deleted via copy then posted which works but if i copy/delete or backspace it out and do not post on it right then, it comes back after a page refresh.
Somewhat maddening in a tiny phone reply field.
So...i take NO responsibility for any format errors. Content errors are my own.
That’s my story and i’m £<*{%]¥<¥<|! to it.
B

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Is anyone else experiencing a "problem" with the text box (at the bottom of the screen) that we all use to post and reply? I'll type my response, click on "Post Reply", and after the reply is posted the text of whatever I typed remains in the box; I have to highlight it and delete it manually. Before the "Pop-Up Ad" kerfuffle I didn't have this problem. BTW, Firefox Browser version 87.0 on a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10. :D
Yes and hell yes.
Iphone + AdBocker Plus...still no adds, never has been for me but since the new “whatever” the post reply after use retains a copy of the reply. I haven’t experimented much but have deleted via copy then posted which works but if i copy/delete or backspace it out and do not post on it right then, it comes back after a page refresh.
Somewhat maddening in a tiny phone reply field.
So...i take NO responsibility for any format errors. Content errors are my own.
That’s my story and i’m £<*{%]¥<¥<|! to it.
B

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
One thing's for sure. Tukwila threatened to beat feet, and did.
That is probably not what the moderators intended when they selected the ad company. It seems that the company that programs the forum and the ad company need to discuss compatibility issues and do some trouble shooting. It is not a user problem ie, what computer, what operating system, what browser, etcetera. I believe that someone should hold these companies feet to the fire and get things working better.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Yep...what I said...beta testing before going into production. Maybe this was by design, I can't say, but my wife is decades into IT programming and development and if she ever put out a product that caused this much need for user "workarounds" (computer, OS, browser, clearing cache, changing settings), I'd be eating beans every meal of the day.

That is probably not what the moderators intended when they selected the ad company. It seems that the company that programs the forum and the ad company need to discuss compatibility issues and do some trouble shooting. It is not a user problem ie, what computer, what operating system, what browser, etcetera. I believe that someone should hold these companies feet to the fire and get things working better.

Edward

Bartender
I noticed this myself yesterday -- it seems not to be browser/computer dependent for me. I use a 20-year-old Mac G4 running TenFourFox at home, and a 10-year-old Dell running WIndows 7 at work, and both have been doing the same thing.

I've been kind of amused at the ads I've been getting, though. Yesterday it was "This Property Protected By Smith & Wesson" novelty signs sold by a gun-wielding young woman in an unflattering bathing suit. I guess that's what I get for reading a movie commentary from the "National Review."

I've noticed (using Chrome - Google is a real data hound) that a lot of ads are popping up for things I've looked at recently - or similar products. Oddly, a lot of finance and investment stuff, though ,too, which is not something I've been browsing of late. It's interesting seeing how the keyword stuff works in relation to clothing especially - how often they get it right, and when they go terribly 'wrong'.

I was overwhelmed by the convenience of digital media, both physical and non, and succumbed to the technology (for good or for bad). So after awhile, I had to admit to myself I hadn't used a turntable in 20 years. I packed away my "stereo" long before that when I bought a complete Yamaha surround sound system with my first HD television and a few years ago sold off most of my classic LPs on eBay. Having spent several formative years applying my labor in old-fashioned record stores, I had some good stuff. Original copies of 60s and 70s classic rock, collectors editions, picture discs, colored vinyl, bootlegs, etc. Not surprisingly, my Zappa collection was in high demand; surprisingly (to me), The Clash was very popular and fetched some nice prices. I used the profits to buy hats.

I still have a very nice CD collection, but stream almost everything now - even in the car. As far as quality, after about 300 rock concerts and an inner ear infection that resulted in tinnitus on my left side, I think that ship has sailed for me.

Ha, I hear you on that.... I'm pretty sure I have a touch of tinnitis myself as well, for which the Clash may well be partially responsible (or more likely the Sex Pistols, who I *did* get to see live...).

Sounds like you had quite the collection. A lot of vinyl now sells for quite a bit - ironically, we're now at the stage where a new CD will cost markedly less than the same album on vinyl. I've never gotten into the streaming side, but where I find digital really excels for me is portability. I have an mp3 player about the size of an old 10-pack of cigarettes, much smaller than a cassette, and a huge whack of my collection digitised on it. It's not the same as firing up the hifi at home, but compared to the old days when music on the go meant the notable drop in sound quality of cassettes, a Walkman the size of half a brick and having to carry a bunch of extra cassettes for more music, having a tiny thing I cam slip in a pocket with so much content on it is fantastic. I've used it on a ten hour flight with no need to recharge before now. Digital certainly has its place on that front for me.

Partly snobbery in my case, to be fair - there's no doubt that the sound file quality is higher than the mp3 encoding typically used, though I suppose I also just have that collector mindset - I need to have that sense of a 'library'. I'm the same with books, really - ebooks are grand for on the go, but I'd always prefer a "real" book.

I do wonder if some of it is an unconscious hangover from the days when kids would buy cassettes and we'd copy each others' albums as we didn't have the cash to buy them all. Owning a tangible, 'real original' was a big thing.

Ha, yes.... I'm' the same with the pipe (not that weed's my bag, just ordinary aromatics) - it's all about the ritual.

I enjoy vinyl as a way to further immerse myself in the music. When you’re borderline obsessed with certain artists or genres, such as myself, sometimes your interests go beyond just the music. Liner notes, band member bios, group formation history’s, heck half my book shelf is music related.

Big part of it for me. Vinyl also has the ritual of pitting a record on... Digital is fien if I want casual listening on the go, but my CDs or, better, vinyl, are for when I want to sit down and the music is foreground rather than background.

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
It routinely takes a loooooong time for TFL pages to load.

I like vinyl. There's probably 4000 LPs just off camera here and same amount boxed up elsewhere.
I can do digital upstairs but not here.
and We're Only In It was the first Zappa record I heard and it scared the s^*t out of me.
Still easily one of my favorites and as relevant as ever.

IMG_3036.jpg

I've noticed (using Chrome - Google is a real data hound) that a lot of ads are popping up for things I've looked at recently - or similar products. Oddly, a lot of finance and investment stuff, though ,too, which is not something I've been browsing of late. It's interesting seeing how the keyword stuff works in relation to clothing especially - how often they get it right, and when they go terribly 'wrong'.

Ha, I hear you on that.... I'm pretty sure I have a touch of tinnitis myself as well, for which the Clash may well be partially responsible (or more likely the Sex Pistols, who I *did* get to see live...).

Sounds like you had quite the collection. A lot of vinyl now sells for quite a bit - ironically, we're now at the stage where a new CD will cost markedly less than the same album on vinyl. I've never gotten into the streaming side, but where I find digital really excels for me is portability. I have an mp3 player about the size of an old 10-pack of cigarettes, much smaller than a cassette, and a huge whack of my collection digitised on it. It's not the same as firing up the hifi at home, but compared to the old days when music on the go meant the notable drop in sound quality of cassettes, a Walkman the size of half a brick and having to carry a bunch of extra cassettes for more music, having a tiny thing I cam slip in a pocket with so much content on it is fantastic. I've used it on a ten hour flight with no need to recharge before now. Digital certainly has its place on that front for me.

Partly snobbery in my case, to be fair - there's no doubt that the sound file quality is higher than the mp3 encoding typically used, though I suppose I also just have that collector mindset - I need to have that sense of a 'library'. I'm the same with books, really - ebooks are grand for on the go, but I'd always prefer a "real" book.

I do wonder if some of it is an unconscious hangover from the days when kids would buy cassettes and we'd copy each others' albums as we didn't have the cash to buy them all. Owning a tangible, 'real original' was a big thing.

Ha, yes.... I'm' the same with the pipe (not that weed's my bag, just ordinary aromatics) - it's all about the ritual.

Big part of it for me. Vinyl also has the ritual of pitting a record on... Digital is fien if I want casual listening on the go, but my CDs or, better, vinyl, are for when I want to sit down and the music is foreground rather than background.

I purchased and read my first ebook last week. I still like a physical book, tho.

I envy your Pistols experience.

I like vinyl. There's probably 4000 LPs just off camera here and same amount boxed up elsewhere.
and We're Only In It was the first Zappa record I heard and it scared the s^*t out of me.

View attachment 328637

"Concentration Moon" changed my life.

GHT

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 328637
Digital? What's digital? Vinyl, is there anything else?
422746823.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana