Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

That's it, I'm out. The ADS ARE RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coriu

One Too Many
I agree. Moving to a 'subscription' model is not the answer as that would eliminate so many 'hat curious' folks or lurkers and tighten the circle. Perhaps there is a subscription model that offers tiers of service that would allow the curious a lengthy time to hang out. Perhaps, posting questions, classifieds for subscribers, but the lurkers could have access to the posts.....or somesuch. I am willing to pay if the model could be as inclusive as possible.
That is exactly what I suggested to my friend with the sports website...the tiered approach. Routine users would pay a nominal, monthly subscription fee and only they would have access to certain parts of the website...including those parts of the site that had some really cool historical information that was not visible to the non-paying person.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
I’m good with whatever ads the folks running this show need or want, but for my two cents that floating ad at the bottom is more than a bit unsightly. I’d recommend dropping that one.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Just in case anyone is interested, there doesn't appear to be any ads embedded in the posts anymore, in fact other than a few boxes (between posts, right hand side & bottom screen banner) inviting one to open them, (In app video ads platform) there are no ads to speak of.
Also, the pages have stopped jumping.
Have I wandered into an alternative universe ?

EDIT: A clothing ad just popped up on the right. :D

sal

One of the Regulars
B4A7A89A-E9FB-4176-AE84-B6C95077AEEC.png
So this is how intrusive the adds are. As you can see three quarters of my screen are covered by adds. Shouldn’t have to install yet another app. This has been going on for days and it seems like this is the model moving forward. I didn’t post a lot only because I’m not at the same level of expertise as the vast majority here. I will sorely miss the knowledge and passion of you all here. This is one of about 10 forums I frequent and this had just moved to the most frustrating one of all. Intermittently I will check in but for the most part it’s to much aggravation

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Just in case anyone is interested, there doesn't appear to be any ads embedded in the posts anymore, in fact other than a few boxes (between posts, right hand side & bottom screen banner) inviting one to open them, (In app video ads platform) there are no ads to speak of.
Also, the pages have stopped jumping.
Have I wandered into an alternative universe ?

EDIT: A clothing ad just popped up on the right. :D

REEDIT: I don't know what happened earlier when I appeared to be adless but now the feckers have found me & I don't know where to look.!!!........There's a rather attractive semi clad young lady modelling Calvin Klein underwear in a box on my right so it's not all bad.:rolleyes:

Raybuntu

Familiar Face
I think before quiting it's easier to install ublock. For Android or iOS I recommend Firefox, then under addons you can enable ublock origin. It is the best adblocker currently and free open source software and very well maintained. There is also Brave browser for Android that works without additional addons. For a Mac or PC you can either use Firefox browser too with unlock addon or use Chrome, Brave with ublock addon.
I have zero ads on the lounge using either of those solutions. Normally I would make an exception some websites in ublock but it's really intrusive here.

Edit: FYI Brave Browser is based on Chrome and uses some smart and fair methods for ads. They try to establish a fair and privacy friendly adsystem that benefits websites and users. They have a cryptocurrency which can be used to "tip" websites and you can also earn a few bucks by watching ads:
https://brave.com/brave-ads/

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I don't get it. Why bombard this forum with a new invasive ad program now and cause many to seek ad blockers or even leave the forum in disgust? What have you gained ??
HD

Totally understand where you're coming from on this. It's one of those frustrating things that on a technical level which is beyond me works in an underlying way that TFL wouldn't be aware of until it goes into action. The management are working on this to get it down to a reasonable level, the target being to get ads to stop appearing in the middle of posts or obscuring content. If we can get it there, that would be a happy medium. Bear with us, it unfortunately might just take a week or two as alas it isn't as simple as opening a settings menu and putting it together.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Totally understand where you're coming from on this. It's one of those frustrating things that on a technical level which is beyond me works in an underlying way that TFL wouldn't be aware of until it goes into action. The management are working on this to get it down to a reasonable level, the target being to get ads to stop appearing in the middle of posts or obscuring content. If we can get it there, that would be a happy medium. Bear with us, it unfortunately might just take a week or two as alas it isn't as simple as opening a settings menu and putting it together.
Why could this not be foreseen Edward? I'm sure that advertisers don't want to lose an audience anymore than The Lounge does. I could never get so annoyed that I flounce out but the frustration of having adverts right in the centre of the screen when I am reading a post gets to the point of tourettes. I just give up and log off, however, Lounge addiction is one hell of a habit to break, can we not get back to what was?

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ads that appear between posts are annoying but I can live with the annoyance. Ads in the middle of a post makes the forum unusable. I saw the problems a couple of days ago and knew that the bartenders would be working on the issue. And I am glad it is being addressed.

For a free site ads must be expected. Just as commercials are necessary to keep costs down. Just like commercials I can fast forward (scroll past) and not pay attention to the ad content.

I provide several FREE services to different groups of people. Mainly in database form but also in a few computer programs. I always find it interesting that when you give something to people for FREE how many complain that the item in question does not absolutely meet each and every expectation and desire wanted. I learned a long time ago to make these items to satisfy myself. That way at least one person is happy.

Last edited:

earl

A-List Customer
I think before quiting it's easier to install ublock. For Android or iOS I recommend Firefox, then under addons you can enable ublock origin. It is the best adblocker currently and free open source software and very well maintained. There is also Brave browser for Android that works without additional addons. For a Mac or PC you can either use Firefox browser too with unlock addon or use Chrome, Brave with ublock addon.
I have zero ads on the lounge using either of those solutions. Normally I would make an exception some websites in ublock but it's really intrusive here.

Edit: FYI Brave Browser is based on Chrome and uses some smart and fair methods for ads. They try to establish a fair and privacy friendly adsystem that benefits websites and users. They have a cryptocurrency which can be used to "tip" websites and you can also earn a few bucks by watching ads:
https://brave.com/brave-ads/
I use Avast Secure browser and no ads.

Ads that appear between posts are annoying but I can live with the annoyance. Ads in the middle of a post makes the forum unusable. I saw the problems a couple of days ago and knew that the bartenders would be working on the issue. And I am glad it is being addressed.

For a free site ads must be expected. Just as commercials are necessary to keep costs down. Just like commercials I can fast forward (scroll past) and not pay attention to the ad content.

I provide several FREE services to different groups of people. Mainly in database form but also in a few computer programs. I always find it interesting that when you give something to people for FREE how many complain that the item in question does not absolutely meet each and every expectation and desire wanted. I learned a long time ago to make these items to satisfy myself. That way at least one person is happy.

Thank you for this perspective, Bill. You’re absolutely right and I’m embarrassed by my initial reaction.

Thank you for this perspective, Bill. You’re absolutely right and I’m embarrassed by my initial reaction.
I am surprised at how many new handles I am seeing....and a bit of insight into how many folks read the posts but are not active members...more than I thought. The other thought was ..."Well, we will find out who the committed members are." I was pretty sure you would be one of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ