Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 1920 JAZZ SUIT

Smuterella

One Too Many
oh, its my moniker all over the place. It suits me. *saucy giggle*

Yes, I'd love to see someone in that suit. its hard to envision otherwise.

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
That is actually an interesting looking suit, Marc. While it isn't something I would choose for everyday wear...I think it would look pretty great on stage...with the right hat.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

Marc identified this as a Jazz Suit. My grandfather, Clarence, about 1920.

grandpa12.jpg

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I prefer the Jazz suit 1964 myself,but I imagine that the reaction was much the same from the straight/older/squares. The Horror!

Thanks for the picture of your grandfather ,by the way. That photo has attitude to spare.

donCarlos

Practically Family
Sefton said:
I prefer the Jazz suit 1964 myself,but I imagine that the reaction was much the same from the straight/older/squares. The Horror!
Picture needed ;) I don´t know what to imagine...

chalkstripe

New in Town
i was expecting a matching hat to follow as a jazz suit, but then again maybe it's just due to too much exposure to Spike Lee flicks. I'll take my hat off to anyone who poses with it and posts it up, but please try to have a shot with jazz hands.

Feraud

Bartender
While watching a few Harold Lloyd comedies I noticed him wearing a jazz styled suit.
Very interesting to see HL move around in the suit. The flared skirt is perfect for his running, jumping, and cartwheeling antics.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Two thoughts. The style and cut, while a long way away from what we typically like, is not that out of line for a 20s suit. Just a bit over the top, but the soft shoulders and trimmer pants would not be as dd as in 1940.

Question, where did the look truly come from. Was it an invention from the fashion industry, or was it devised to emulate what maybe some jazz musicians were already wearing.

to be honest, even though it seems kind of odd, I could easily imagine a cool black jazz musician wearing it and looking fantastic.

mike

Call Me a Cab
reetpleat said:
Two thoughts. The style and cut, while a long way away from what we typically like, is not that out of line for a 20s suit. Just a bit over the top, but the soft shoulders and trimmer pants would not be as dd as in 1940.

Question, where did the look truly come from. Was it an invention from the fashion industry, or was it devised to emulate what maybe some jazz musicians were already wearing.

to be honest, even though it seems kind of odd, I could easily imagine a cool black jazz musician wearing it and looking fantastic.

I agree! I wonder if someone like say Fletcher Henderson or someone else who was performing in the real beginnings of Jazz visually symbolized the entire new movement.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Looking at the above photo, I would have to say, it does not seem all that different than what would have been worn in the latter part of the previous century. Perhaps it was an odd throw back to the earlier era of frock coats. Or maybe it was derivitive of what black musicians coming up out of the south were wearing.

Feraud

Bartender
reetpleat said:
Looking at the above photo, I would have to say, it does not seem all that different than what would have been worn in the latter part of the previous century. Perhaps it was an odd throw back to the earlier era of frock coats. Or maybe it was derivitive of what black musicians coming up out of the south were wearing.
The cut of the coats are reminiscent of frock coats.
It makes sense for frock coats in their various cuts to have evolved into these.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Yeah- historically, this wouldn't be so far off from the 1950s/60s revival going on now. People were still wearing frock coats at the turn of the 19th C., and this could've been an attempted, exaggeratedly fashiony revival of that look, like Thom Browne taking the business suits of the 60s and making them foppish now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk