Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the 411

Katie Brookes

One of the Regulars
E!'s "The Daily 10" : The 411 : Wear This! just announced, the fedora is the thing to wear now. Everyone is wearing them. Did you know? Even Justin. Showed a few images from Casablanca, then some modern celebrities. Just thought I would share as I'm hoping I'm one of the few here who watches this trash :)
What is the general feeling about modern pop icons wearing classic hats, is it ironic or sincere?

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
I can't say what the "general feeling" is, but I suspect it's typical shallowness on their part. If one celebrity decides to wear something on a whim and another emulates the first one, pretty soon we have a trend, and then it becomes a fashion, for a season. I'd love for the example of these stars to encourage more people to wear hats and dress in a classic, elegant style, but I don't see too much evidence that the stars themselves are doing it because they like the style. For them, it's just an article of clothing that is, for a variety of reasons, "in" at this time. Sort of like how skirts are "in" in womens' clothing right now. I doubt most of the women wearing them are motivated by a desire to dress elegantly, in the way that ladies dressed for hundreds of years -it's just a fashion, and will endure for a time, and then become outmoded again.

Some celebrities do not give the hat a positive image. Rappers in homburgs, for instance, cause virtually everyone who watches modern television and listens to modern music to assume that when I don my hat, I'm trying to be a "pimp." Bad deal. I'd much rather they stuck to their baseball caps turned backwards.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Yes, as stated in the above post, celebrities wearing hats is not neccesarily a good thing.

It all depends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland