Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Abyssinian Campaigns

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Well, it's not from the Abyssinian Campaign, but it's only about 4 years later, and does show a colonial trooper.

CCF03112010_00004.jpg

Corto

A-List Customer
Don't forget "Scoop" by Evelyn Waugh. If I remember correctly that's a fictionalized (and wonderfully satirical) account of Waugh's own participation in that conflict.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
dr greg said:
This is also a fascinating but little-known conflict (apart from some hollywood nonsense roughly based on it) around the same time and area, I'd never heard of this battle until very recently,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disaster_of_Annual

Thanks, dr greg, for that link. We often hear about how North African tribes would harass the French (and often successfully), but the Spaniards also had more than their share of problems with El-Krim and other leaders in the Spanish Protectorate and Spanish Sahara. These conflicts were responsable for the formation of the elite Spanish Foreign Legion, much as how the Algerian conflict resulted in the formation of the French Foreign Legion in 1831. And it was in the Legion that future Spanish dictator, Francisco Franco, made a name for himself. Sorry for being :eek:fftopic: .

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Widebrim said:
Thanks, dr greg, for that link. We often hear about how North African tribes would harass the French (and often successfully), but the Spaniards also had more than their share of problems with El-Krim and other leaders in the Spanish Protectorate and Spanish Sahara. These conflicts were responsable for the formation of the elite Spanish Foreign Legion, much as how the Algerian conflict resulted in the formation of the French Foreign Legion in 1831. And it was in the Legion that future Spanish dictator, Francisco Franco, made a name for himself. Sorry for being :eek:fftopic: .

I don't think that's off-topic much if at all, considering how it ties this thread into the existing one on the Spanish Civil War.

History is a continuity, not a series of discrete incidents.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Taken in the area of Adua (Adowa), 1936, this shows a medical corps 2nd Lt. with the 26th battalion.
CCF03192010_00000.jpg

He is wearing a sahariana tunic, which was initially issued to colonial troops in Libia, and became official issue for officers in WWII. It was also used by some members of the German army and Luftwaffe in North Africa.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
"...dance around their commanding officer..."

Tribal apples and oranges, but one night in September 2008 at Sather AFB we watched about 75 departing Ugandan 'contractors' dance their 'Going Home" happy dance. Impressive and probably not too far a performance from that 1936 photo.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
Hey, Uganda is not too far from where the Ascari hail...

Yeah, but they're North African/Islamic while Ugandans are Swahili language based southern African animists/Christians.

Still, the Ugandan guys (and gals) would have been the grandchildren (and some possibly were) of the King's African Rifles - opposite side of the 1940 - 41 fight. http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=57089

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Story said:
Yeah, but they're North African/Islamic while Ugandans are Swahili language based southern African animists/Christians.

Still, the Ugandan guys (and gals) would have been the grandchildren (and some possibly were) of the King's African Rifles - opposite side of the 1940 - 41 fight. http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=57089

Well, actually the Ascaris who served in the Italian Army were from Italian East Africa (Eritrea, Somalia). That's why I wrote that Uganda (which is in central Africa) wasn't too far from where the Ascaris came from (especially the Somalis)...

Atinkerer

One of the Regulars
About 10 years ago, during a trip to Italy, I met an old friend of the family who fought in The Abyssinian Campaigns. When he was introduced to me, I was told he suffered terribly during the war. So, I said "Oh, you were in WWII'? But he said he wasn't in WWII, he said fought in Abyssinia. I didn't know anything about Abyssinia, and didn't want to dredge up an ugly past. So I left it at that.

Tony

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Atinkerer said:
About 10 years ago, during a trip to Italy, I met an old friend of the family who fought in The Abyssinian Campaigns. When he was introduced to me, I was told he suffered terribly during the war. So, I said "Oh, you were in WWII'? But he said he wasn't in WWII, he said fought in Abyssinia. I didn't know anything about Abyssinia, and didn't want to dredge up an ugly past. So I left it at that.

Tony

That poor man was obviously scarred by his experiences in the Italo-Ethiopian War, and it was wise of you not to inquire more. But it does make you wonder what he did go through...

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
The cavalryman in the Newsweek's pic is a "zaptiè", e.g. a member of the colonial troops of the Carabinieri;

I can tell from the metal insignia of his head-dress.

He was a NCO, as he's wearing a rank chevron;
to me it looks like the single chevron of a "muntaz" (corporal).

Ciao!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24