Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adjustment Bureau

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Okay, so I just watched the trailer for the film and its looks like a great thriller.
And *ding*, all the main characters are wearing some great hats. So I'm sold.

I think I see John Slattery from Mad Men there, and Terrance Stamp is always a joy.

Thoughts?

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I have embeded the video

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wZJ0TP4nTaE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wZJ0TP4nTaE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The trailer reminds me of two things:

1 - the many SF novels (etc.) where agents from the future are responsible for correcting "errors" in current timelines. See Asimov's The End of Eternity, Poul Anderson's "Time Patrol" books, Star Trek: Enterprise's Temporal Cold War, etc.

2 - a 1980s Twilight Zone episode called "Minute By Minute" about the usually-invisible-to-us, faceless army that manipulates our perceived reality in between each second.

However, it does not remind me of Dark City. And I seriously doubt that it's going to be anywhere near as memorable and fascinating as Dark City!

(But hey, I'll watch anything that stars Emily Blunt.)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Reminds me of a story I recently heard on XM164 Radio Classics. It was called "To the Future" (5/27/1950) and is based on a Ray Bradbury story called "The Fox in the Forest".
Yeah, and it does have the Dark City feel to it. I'm interested.

Cheers!

Dan

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Widebrim said:
Yeah, sort of has its own Hat Squad going on...

You've got to love the Hat Squad.

But I don't see this film as stylistic as Dark City, similar concept sure, and personally I am excited about the hat squad. I'll be wearing a fine fedora to it.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Now I know why this feels familiar. It is based on the story The Adjustment Team by Phillip K. Dick. Those that know their Science Fiction have see other adaptations of his books. Blade Runner, Screamers, Total Recall, Minority Report, Scanner Darkly & Paycheck are just a few. If you are a a Radio Classics fan you've heard two of his stories on X Minus One, 'Colony', and 'The Defenders'.
So, knowing the body of work from which this story is based, it should prove very interesting. On top of it, I am a Terrance Stamp fan. I like his dry style.

It also looks like there are going to be two more of Phillip K. Dick's stories adapted to film, King of the Elves & Flow my Tears, the Policeman Said. Also it looks like they are going to remake Total Recall but are going back to the book.

Cheers!

Dan

mad_mod

New in Town
What brand of hat is Matt Damon wearing? I've been looking for a nice grey stringy brim straw fedora for a
while and can't seem to find one at present...Still kicking myself for letting a nice vintage Dobbs one
pass me by on e-bay.

NotsoGolden

New in Town
I, for one, am intrigued by what I've seen. It reminds me somewhat more of Blade Runner than Dark City, but still has a different feel from either. It seems a bit diesel-punk, unlike Blade Runner's future setting...but it doesn't necessarily seem to fit totally into the Golden Era either. Perhaps an idealized society based more on the present or not-too-distant future?

I'll be seeing it...and likely wear my fedora as well.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I saw this movie as a captive audience, so to speak, as I was on a plane home from our honeymoon in Puerto Rico.

The plot seemed to be a combination of elements from The Matrix, It's a Wonderful Life, and any of a hundred 'boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl' stories.

What disappointed me was that I didn't seem to care all that much about any of the characters, and I should have, because I know what types of movies I like. I think much of it had to do with where I was which was on a 737. It was hard to hear over the engines (we were in the center of the plane, over the wings), and the crappy screen.

The explanation about the hats made a little bit of sense, but seemed silly, which is not what I wanted concerning hats.

Maybe I'll try to watch it again in a more comfortable environment and see what happens.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I saw this movie as a captive audience, so to speak, as I was on a plane home from our honeymoon in Puerto Rico.

The plot seemed to be a combination of elements from The Matrix, It's a Wonderful Life, and any of a hundred 'boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl' stories.

What disappointed me was that I didn't seem to care all that much about any of the characters, and I should have, because I know what types of movies I like. I think much of it had to do with where I was which was on a 737. It was hard to hear over the engines (we were in the center of the plane, over the wings), and the crappy screen.

The explanation about the hats made a little bit of sense, but seemed silly, which is not what I wanted concerning hats.

Maybe I'll try to watch it again in a more comfortable environment and see what happens.

This pretty much covers how I felt about the movie (which I also saw on the plane on the way over to NYC)....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy