Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Deer Hunters?

We have adventurers in this thread, and we have gun owners on another. Seems like the logical extension, at least in my neck of the woods, would be deer hunters. Anybody trudging off into the snowy north this weekend with their sporterized Krag to bag some venison? If so, what are you wearing?

I've seen my grandfather's old hunting garb, seems like it was a red-plaid, wool mackinac and a bright red stormy kromer cap. I don't suppose modern hunter orange versions of those items are available? Kinda ruins the look, though, unless you're only allowing B&W photographs.

-Dave

H.Johnson

One Too Many
It depends what you mean by 'greatcoat'. if you are referring to an ex-military greatcoat, these are very rare. For instance, the British single breasted service greatcoat was replaced in 1939. Not many other nations have ever used them as far as I know. I have scrounged military surplus stores for almost 50 years, I have only ever seen 2 or 3.

greatestescaper said:
does anyone have tips on where i can find an affordable single breasted greatcoat? every search i've done i've only found double breasted. the only single breasted greatcoat i've found was 300 bucks. i don't have that kind of money right now.

Kifaru

New in Town
Hello all, first post. Just for the record; I hate you all for making me spend an entire weekend reading a bazillion pages in this thread! The previous posts on creating this thread as its own section is spot on. There is so much info here that could be divided up into much easier to use bits.

When I get a better pic for an avatar I'll switch it but this one is my and my teenage sons racing across Morocco (thats his hand waving out the back at you.) I will post some pics later in the Steamer Trunk/Adventure thread from adventuring in Bahrain, Syria, Jordan and other fun places.

See you at the bar!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Kifaru said:
Hello all, first post. Just for the record; I hate you all for making me spend an entire weekend reading a bazillion pages in this thread! The previous posts on creating this thread as its own section is spot on. There is so much info here that could be divided up into much easier to use bits.

When I get a better pic for an avatar I'll switch it but this one is my and my teenage sons racing across Morocco (thats his hand waving out the back at you.) I will post some pics later in the Steamer Trunk/Adventure thread from adventuring in Bahrain, Syria, Jordan and other fun places.

See you at the bar!
Yes! Snagged another one!

Welcome, Kifaru, and now that you've primed the pump with promises of pictures of Morocco, I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
greatestescaper said:
does anyone have tips on where i can find an affordable single breasted greatcoat? every search i've done i've only found double breasted. the only single breasted greatcoat i've found was 300 bucks. i don't have that kind of money right now.

The Quartermaster Shop in Port Huron, MI carries a line of reproduction single-breasted greatcoats, but in a 19th Century style with a shoulder cape. I think they look rather dashing, and if accessorized appropriately could look the Golden Era part, at least in a more rural setting.

1603_CIV_GTCTS.JPG

A 42-44 long lists at $273.00 before options like cuff-length cape or sewn-on buttons.

-Dave

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Jerekson said:
Anyone seen Australia yet? ;)

I haven't seen it yet. I understand Ms Kidman wears a pair of the three-strap riding boots in a few scenes.

I have it "from a reliable source" that, Dehner, made her boots, for the movie. Four pair actually. Two for Ms Kidman, and two for her stunt-double. I mentioned it in the Australia thread, but that was in the hat section. It probably fits better in this one.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Personally I have a great liking towards the gunbelt set that the Drover wore. Very cool, and I'd like some more information on it.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
This is one of my local surplus shops. I have seen these coats 'in the flesh' (so to speak) and (in my opinion) they aren't heavy enough or itchy enough to be called a greatcoat, so I wouldn't class them as such. An overcoat, yes.

I can heartily recommend the shop, however. Sometimes thay have stuff on their website that they don't actually have in stock (hey, that's not unusual) but when you turn up there ther's always something to make your trip worthwhile.

It's right next to the famous Severn Valley steam railway which does some great 1940s week-ends.

Dinerman said:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24