Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
bruce wayne said:
so let me get this straight, you have a center pumpkin on the FRONT axle? did you have to do any adjusting of the transfer case?
i use to be really, really, into early jeeps (pre-chrysler). i remember finding a fiberglas body kit call the hum-j7 that was a cross between a cj-7 & a militay humvee. it would allow one to run 35 inch tires without a lift of any kind!!!
Actually, I was typing faster than i was thinking! The rear axle is a Dana 44, center differential, but the front axle is the original Dana 25, with the offset differential. I'm still finding my way around this thing, and remembered the details wrong! I'me still not sure which Tremec transmission is in this thing, just that it is a 4-speed with an overdrive.

Highlander said:
Mojave Jack, where'd you get the cool safari hat. I need one, I plan to go to Africa next year and need to get a good hat broke in...(I have two safari jackets, trying to see which one I like the best and break them in a bit so they aren't Band Box New)..
Highlander, Thanks for the compliment! The hat is an Akubra Riverina, and the many of us here at the Lounge that now have them owe it to Mike K. I saw his when he sported it at the Queen Mary in 2007, and vowed to get one myself. I was not the only one admiring it!

Here's Mike's original thread:

The Perfect Safari Hat

And here are a number of us jumping on Mike's band wagon:

Akubra Riverina safari-ized

There's some discussion in this thread, too, back about 50 of the 101 pages of this thread! lol

Mike K.

One Too Many
Why thank you Jack...and Highlander. The next safari hat conversion is underway and nearly complete. This one is shaping up to be even better than the Akubra Riverina!! I'll post pics as soon as I am finished.

Mike K.

One Too Many
I was recently searching the web for some safari-related stuff (go figure, right? lol).
Anyway, I stumbled upon this very unique early-1900's toy set and thought I'd share it with everyone. Oh, to have one of these in my collection!!

http://www.oldwoodtoys.com/teddy_roosevelt1.htm

JLTRPanoramaBurnedR950.jpg

Adventurer`s Gear

Great thread,I am curious,how many Loungers have been to the dark continent on a big game safari?I see a lot of so called "Safari Wear" pictures, but how about so photos of you folks out there with your .416 double rifles,sitting next to some big game.Anyone?

Mike K.

One Too Many
bburtner@moran said:
Great thread,I am curious,how many Loungers have been to the dark continent on a big game safari?I see a lot of so called "Safari Wear" pictures, but how about so photos of you folks out there with your .416 double rifles,sitting next to some big game.Anyone?
They already exist, but you're looking in the wrong thread. Try here:

The Steamer Trunk: Adventure! Fedora Lounge Folks in Action!
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=30122

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mojave Jack said:
Actually, I was typing faster than i was thinking! The rear axle is a Dana 44, center differential, but the front axle is the original Dana 25, with the offset differential. I'm still finding my way around this thing, and remembered the details wrong! I'me still not sure which Tremec transmission is in this thing, just that it is a 4-speed with an overdrive.

Highlander, Thanks for the compliment! The hat is an Akubra Riverina, and the many of us here at the Lounge that now have them owe it to Mike K. I saw his when he sported it at the Queen Mary in 2007, and vowed to get one myself. I was not the only one admiring it!

Here's Mike's original thread:

The Perfect Safari Hat

And here are a number of us jumping on Mike's band wagon:

Akubra Riverina safari-ized

There's some discussion in this thread, too, back about 50 of the 101 pages of this thread! lol

the original how-to for the pugarre band is gone, do you happen to know of any other how-tos out there?

thanx!!!
Charlie

NelsAnderson

New in Town
Mojave Jack said:
I see a '37 pattern envelope water bottle carrier in your gear, too. How 'bout a few details on the other items, like your compass, binos, and chukka boots? I use a '37 pattern and an '08 pattern water bottle almost daily. I have thew '08 in the Willys right now. I've also had my eye out from a British haversack like yours, too.

Been meaning to further respond to this, but it's been a busy week! Here's another interesting item that came me via eBay:

compass1.jpg

compass2.jpg

It's kind of tough to photograph shiny glass and mirrors but I think you get the idea. I had seen this style of very fancy compass come up on eBay regularly and decided I had to have one. After some research I found that it's a bit more than just a compass, it's a replica Brunton Pocket Transit, a design that goes back to 1894.

Brunton is still in business and you can still buy one new, if you want to spend some serious money on a compass!

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=144

The "Stanley London" name on it indicates a British heritage, which was also something I wanted. More research, though, indicates that even though it looks old and relatively authentic it's probably a fake and not particularly accurate in real use. On the other hand, it was not expensive and it does look the part but perhaps someday I'll find a more proper authentic adventurer's compass.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
SPOT

Jerekson said:
...okie dokey then.

Sorry, I just don't want to bore the others. Besides, talk about oneself too much and it may be taken as self-aggrandizement by others, at least in these parts, IMO.

Getting back to adventure gear, does anybody here use SPOT on their adventures. SPOT is a personal satellite tracker. It pings a satellite and then sends your coordinates to the web. These can be posted on public or private sites. I use SPOT mainly for peace of mind for my family when I am out on non-standard type travel. As an example, here is a screen capture of a recent solo motorcycle ride I did into Mexico a couple of months ago. You can see I started pinging again in Saltillo and then rode north to the border and crossed over in Del Rio, Texas. In addition to the map, SPOT posts your last known coordinates on a side bar. It also sends e-mail notifications to those that you designate. There are also emergency buttons on the unit to call for immediate assistance. If something happens catastrophic, it's also a good locator beacon to find the body. The unit sells for less than US $200, and works as advertised. Small sized. You can clip it to your epaulet or web gear, or as in my case to my motorcycle roll bag.

SPOTleg3.jpg

NelsAnderson

New in Town
Martinis at 8 said:
The unit sells for less than US $200, and works as advertised. Small sized. You can clip it to your epaulet or web gear, or as in my case to my motorcycle roll bag.

I'd heard the term before but didn't know exactly what it meant. That's a very clever device for anyone going off the beaten path. Is that $200 charge all of it, or are there monthly service fees too?

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
NelsAnderson said:
I'd heard the term before but didn't know exactly what it meant. That's a very clever device for anyone going off the beaten path. Is that $200 charge all of it, or are there monthly service fees too?

Here's the link http://www.findmespot.com/en/ Click around and you will find pricing. Yes, there is a service and additional levels of service for purchase. I still find these cheap. For adventure trips SPOT is a very minor cost IMO.

I would also recommend something like MedJet assist for medical evacuation.

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
Those pocket transits are nice, but they aren't really designed to be your everyday "find your way around" compass. The direct read feature of east and west being reversed still gets me at least once every time I have to use mine for that. Nels, that older brass one you have looks really swell.

-Allen

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Correct. These are being reproduced (in an 'aged form') on a wide scale.

NelsAnderson said:
The "Stanley London" name on it indicates a British heritage, which was also something I wanted. More research, though, indicates that even though it looks old and relatively authentic it's probably a fake and not particularly accurate in real use. On the other hand, it was not expensive and it does look the part but perhaps someday I'll find a more proper authentic adventurer's compass.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Gatsby84 said:
Those pocket transits are nice, but they aren't really designed to be your everyday "find your way around" compass. The direct read feature of east and west being reversed still gets me at least once every time I have to use mine for that. Nels, that older brass one you have looks really swell.

-Allen

We used to use these in the Army to lay the mortars. I believe this is still done as a manual back up.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Martinis at 8 said:
Sorry, I just don't want to bore the others. Besides, talk about oneself too much and it may be taken as self-aggrandizement by others, at least in these parts, IMO.

Understandable. I've never seen you speak of it before personally - is there a thread I missed? I'm interested...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran