Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

The good materials may wax and wane in popularity but they never truly disappear. Our time is one of modern astetics where the designs are cookie cutter and the quality is based on accounting values and streamlined manufacturing techniques. Quality may slip to the wayside with the norm of large scale manufacturing but there are usually some hold outs maintaining standards of material and construction. The best is usually hand made and companies that continue that have bucked the trend and stuck with what they specialized in from early on as they tend to be establish companies with the old formula already established.

The tough parts of buying such goods tends to be:
1) finding the company- so often the old guard doesn't have a good web prescence.
2) Paying for the goods- Yikes! When buying the best the prices are comensurate with the quality of materials and hand construction and that means "It's gonna cost ya!"

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Been obsessed with buying 78rpm records again, lately.
But I got a "Duckback" ,from Calcutta, rainmac, like a beltless officers riding mac, that's been getting a lot of wear lately. Got that 1908 pattern large pack you led me on to, with the 'India style' webbing,long thin straps,I'm very happy with. Blancoed with Saphir shoepolish in a sand colour.
Some deadstock boots and a bag of hobnails that I wanna put on 'em.
Nice an' WIDE eight-piece tweed cap, from London. Algots workjacket.
A very nice sleeved vest/kletterjacke, in corduroy and moleskin. Dutch, 30's.
Another trench watch, 'cause they always break down after a while.
No catalogs, lately. Missed out on a very nice heavy black corduroy peacoat today. Let it hang in the shop last week when the sun was shining. Looking for a nice Dufflecoat and WW1 US navy trousers(repro).

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
David Conwill said:
I think the "Classic Workwear" thread is the new Adventurer's Gear thread.
Lots more of us have easier access to farms and old industrial areas than we do Africa.

-Dave

So, you go and pop rivets and bale hay in your spare time?

The workwear thread's all about stuff that's cheap and/or has a chinstrap, lately. Anyways, you can get it at the mall. Hardly any vintage/golden era stuff on there anymore. Good, vintage workwear, I like, very much.

Amsterdam is no Africa but I'll wear khaki's and even a pith helmet riding my bike on a hot day. I wear walking gear and a pack when I go thriftshopping/fleamarketing for the day. I like the 'straight from the boat' or 'off the mountain' look, even though I can't stand heat and I'm afraid of heights.;)

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Mysterious Mose said:
So, you go and pop rivets and bale hay in your spare time?

Rivets, maybe, but I steer clear of farm work if I can avoid it. I don't even garden.

My only point was that it's easier to dress to fit your surroundings. So if, like me, you live in a farming community, you might be interested in overalls and work boots. Or if, like me, you work in a city filled with the remnants of the once-glorious domestic auto industry, you might be interested in 8-panel caps and chambray shirts.

Even my interest in adventuring gear tends to run more toward what fits in in the north woods, than what would work well in more tropical climes; which is what I most often see in this thread.

I do own a pith helmet, but since I have switched to a gas mower, it waits patiently for me to take it to Bonneville.

-Dave

Creeping Past

One Too Many
My only point was that it's easier to dress to fit your surroundings. So if, like me, you live in a farming community, you might be interested in overalls and work boots. Or if, like me, you work in a city filled with the remnants of the once-glorious domestic auto industry, you might be interested in 8-panel caps and chambray shirts.

Even my interest in adventuring gear tends to run more toward what fits in in the north woods, than what would work well in more tropical climes; which is what I most often see in this thread.

Once again we run up against our old nemesis, the giddy limit.

Context is always worth bearing in mind - I'd not wear speedos and a fascinator at a funeral, for instance. I tend towards keeping my dress action-appropriate, so no hiking stick, bulky rucksack, breeks or hiking boots in town for me, generally, although khaki is good throughout the summer. But I shouldn't like to feel constrained by some area/region/locale-specific heritage dress code.

Thankfully, England's managed to escape the made up regional or national dress stylings of the European mainland. It's strange to see people in the US adopt a similar semi-formalised approach to local/regional dress to that found in some parts of Europe.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Damn the giddy limit!
"Ridicule is nothing to be scared of!" Adam and the Ants

Funny you mention national dress. I can spot a Brit from across the street, here in Amsterdam (shaved head, football shirt in mid winter, terrible sunburn in summer)
Most continentals look alike to me.
Anyway, everybody, wear what you want.

Creeping Past said:
Thankfully, England's managed to escape the made up regional or national dress stylings of the European mainland. It's strange to see people in the US adopt a similar semi-formalised approach to local/regional dress to that found in some parts of Europe.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
:eusa_doh:

It's true that many of my countrymen make a brain-dead beeline for the primary colours of football.

You're right to highlight my overplaying the English leapfrogging of the 19th century national dress code, which the Scots and Welsh and Irish leapt right into. And I should add that there are even some atavistic clog-wearers right here in England... :eek:

Mike K.

One Too Many
Now this is what I like to find online...a great collection of classic outdoor apparel & gear along with links to retailers. I really like those field note books!
http://www.theconstantskept.com/page/12

3480737917_01af2c2a90.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mysterious Mose said-
"Some deadstock boots and a bag of hobnails that I wanna put on 'em."

We need to see those!

"Algots workjacket."

Sounds like something I would have... Algots= Swedish(as you are aware)

"A very nice sleeved vest/kletterjacke, in corduroy and moleskin. Dutch, 30's."

Want it!

"...and WW1 US navy trousers(repro)."

Please elaborate...

B
T

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Now in Adventurous Colour !

Here's some lousy as ever pics:

Boots and nails:
036.jpg

033.jpg

I've undeadstocked 'em. They're very comfortable. I'm thinking about light pattern hobnailing as described in Denig's catalogs. For touring, there's nothing to climb here anyway.

Kletterjacket No.1, moleskin with corduroy panels:
047.jpg

029.jpg

No.2 (it's got a brass earmark in the pocket from the governmental clothing supplies, for the poor, prisoners etc.):
040.jpg

Lovely round shaped backs:
042.jpg

(There's more fabric in the side adjuster belts than in a modern pair of 501's.)

Tourist outfit, with a pair of melton, dropfront, reinforced seat cycling plusfours:
037.jpg

Flannel pullover shirt, itchy but warm:
048.jpg

Adventure accoutrements:
034.jpg

Sunnies, watches, and some 20th century traditional native british national folklore items.

And the Algots, like the trousers and shirt, army/work but very nice:
043.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn