Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hey Gijoe!

Questions for you. I was looking though some past posts and came across the photos of you in St. Gotthard from around 2009. In one of the pics you are wearing a Gebirgsjager Wind Jacket.
go18.jpg

I was wondering a couple of things. Is it an original or a reproduction? If a reproduction where did you find it and how good is the fabric? Does it do it's job and keep the wind out and some moisture?
Thanks for any input you may have.

Cheers!

Dan

xcubbies

New in Town
Since this thread has been quiet for a couple of days, time to start it up again. When I first posted some photos of my collection along the fringes was one set of footwear and more recently I've added another pair.

boots.jpg

Both come from Tag Safari:

http://www.tagsafari.com

The boots on the left are simply called the "Tag Safari Boot" and are made in Africa from cape buffalo skin. That makes them fit the safari theme I'm interested in. I've had them for a couple months now and off the shelf they've been comfortable and sized correctly. Though I'm not the most adventurous hiker I've put some mileage on them and have been satisfied.

The other pair are desert boots, safari boots, vellies or veldskoene depending on who you ask. I used to wear these all the time way back in high school and simply referred to them as "shoes"...having no idea of the origin. They have thick soles but soft uppers giving little support. Though sold by Tag Safari the label inside the shoes says "Bata" which seems to be an Italian company. Not that Italian shoes were bad but I was really hoping for African. I don't really find these all that comfortable for walking long distance...I wonder how they were used originally?

By the way, the background I've used in all these photos is also part of my safari themed collection...anyone recognize what it is?

Bata is an Indian company but with many stores in Africa. The desert boots are readily available in their shops in Kenya, RSA, Botswana, etc.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ok, finally some photos of my bergmutze. It was quite frosty this morning. Went out to take some close up pics of the plants with frost on them and got a frosty me as well.
100_6565.jpg

100_6562.jpg

It does do a good job of keeping the noggin warm.

Cheers!

Dan

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I just returned from getting a (long-overdue) haircut. While chatting, my barber revealed that she is in the process of becoming a Stormy Kromer retailer. I have been wanting to buy a Kromer hat for a while, and excitedly placed my order for a charcoal model in size 7 1/2.

She showed me their catalog, and I see they offer a whole range of classic outdoor products (Mackinaws, wool pants, gloves, etc.). Anyone have any experience with the rest of their line? She isn’t going to start stocking it yet, but if she does, I would like to support her.

If she would just go back to offering wet shaves, she’d be an absolute bastion of the classic male for the Saginaw Valley!

-Dave

Treetops

New in Town
Ok, finally some photos of my bergmutze. It was quite frosty this morning. Went out to take some close up pics of the plants with frost on them and got a frosty me as well.
100_6565.jpg

100_6562.jpg

It does do a good job of keeping the noggin warm.

Cheers!

Dan

I love your Bergmutze and was wondering where you got it. Also, did it come with the edelweiss pin? Thanks!

Canadian

One of the Regulars
Safari Coat Questions

Okay,

I recently acquired a safari coat (4 patch pockets, no belt, motocross style neck closing) and was wondering if it's based on a vintage design. It looks like a cross between a Mao jacket and something Steve McQueen might wear.

Could I maybe post a pic. If it's appropriate?

Tom

Somerled

New in Town
treasures on ebay at present NEW 59CM OR 60CM GURKHA FELT BRIMMED SLOUCH HAT & BAND, seller aberventure good service hat comes in firmin box as issued

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I was watching Legend of the lost the other night and was wondering what kind of vest that John Wayne was wearing. It looks like a simple number with two breast pockets and epaulets. The arm holes are parge and the shoulders sort of flair out as a short mock sleeve. Anyone here have any idea of what it is or was?

D87021D8-7C5A-4553-ACB2-D492075DB1F4.jpg

Annex%20-%20Wayne,%20John%20(Legend%20of%20the%20Lost)_01.jpg

Poster%20-%20Legend%20of%20the%20Lost_19.jpg

Poster%20-%20Legend%20of%20the%20Lost_04.jpg

My guess is that it is something made for the film, but I thought I'd ask and see if it was some sort of real outdoor garment.

Cheers!

Dan

WH1

Practically Family
I was watching Legend of the lost the other night and was wondering what kind of vest that John Wayne was wearing. It looks like a simple number with two breast pockets and epaulets. The arm holes are parge and the shoulders sort of flair out as a short mock sleeve. Anyone here have any idea of what it is or was?

D87021D8-7C5A-4553-ACB2-D492075DB1F4.jpg

Annex%20-%20Wayne,%20John%20(Legend%20of%20the%20Lost)_01.jpg

Poster%20-%20Legend%20of%20the%20Lost_19.jpg

Poster%20-%20Legend%20of%20the%20Lost_04.jpg

My guess is that it is something made for the film, but I thought I'd ask and see if it was some sort of real outdoor garment.

Cheers!

Dan

I seem to recall Wayne wore almost the same style vest in "Hatari".

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm currently armed with a full-bore 1930's Cocktail shaker, bottle of Gordons and bucket of ice, beside the Middleton Farm in the Aberdare Hills here. It's a dirty old job out here, but someone's got to do it :)
Chin-Chin..!
safari009-1.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dear Roving-Bohemian. There is a 'THREAD' already running on TFL which deals exclusively with 'women in adventure clothing' (so Safari gear). I'm currently mobile here so cannot access it, but either a search of possibly one of the kind GENTLEMEN in here will help find the thread - hint, hint. From what I can remember it's pretty extensive with lots of period reference photos of women with rifles and jodphurs...etc.
GOOD LUCK - Paddy.

iPhone Mobile Comms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo