The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Matt Deckard, May 22, 2006.

1. de Stokesay

de Stokesay One of the Regulars

I’m in my mid-late forties and I like to take naps every afternoon I can get away with it too!

When I was in Morocco in 2014, my wife had terminal cancer and it was about a year before she died, so we took lots of rest stops and naps in the afternoon. We still did and saw amazing things, as you can see from the pictures above, but we took our time about it. That’s why it took us a month to see what would have taken about two weeks if she had been healthy.

My new wife would really like to show her 16 year old daughter a third world country and how most of the world actually lives, and Morocco is on the list for our next trip when we can actually travel again.

Tiki Tom and Blackthorn like this.
  2. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

I'm sorry for your loss, my friend. I'm glad you are getting back on the road. The world has so much to see!

Tiki Tom likes this.
  3. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Morocco is an amazing place. Spent two weeks there once upon a time. Crossed the Atlas Mountains. Watched camels wading in the surf on the Atlantic coast. Explored the ruins of Roman cities. Amazing. Now I am 62 and am not quite ready to give it up yet... But I know the gale of time is approaching and I’ll soon have to reef my sails. But not quite yet... next summer we are heading east... heading towards retirement and passing through Asia to complete a circumnavigation that has been three years in progress (or 20, depends how you count.) As Blackthorn said, it’s been a good life. I’ve got no right to complain. My wife and I were discussing it the other day, and we are so thankful that we chose to adventure during our prime years (living overseas and spending money on experiences rather than objects). We’ve known so many people who said they’d save it for their retirement years, and then fate tragically stepped in to prevent them from doing so. We are grateful for every moment. It’s been especially gratifying to be so blessed as to raise our kids overseas and introduce them to so much. Sigh. I’m rambling. Wishing everyone a 2021 that allows travel... and satisfying memories of a life well lived for those who are hanging up their hat and whip.

Boyo, Bugguy, seres and 2 others like this.
  4. Blackthorn

Blackthorn I'll Lock Up

Tiki Tom, I see you live in Vienna. I spent two weeks in Austria last year, beginning and ending in Vienna. We spent most of our time in Salzburg, but a couple of days in Halstatt. We loved every minute of it. Austria is one of my favorite places I have ever been. I wish I had made. time for the Lipizanner Stallions, or however you spell it.

Tiki Tom likes this.
  5. Cornelius

Cornelius Practically Family

For this purpose I can strongly recommend Nicaragua. Lovely people, very welcoming, yet what they have stacked against them would shock most North Americans. A land where poets are national celebrities. And as a bonus, their dialect of Spanish is a particularly easy one to understand, in my experience [compared to, say, that of northern Mexico].

Tiki Tom and Blackthorn like this.
  6. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Yes, Austria is a wonderland for travelers, so beautiful and historic. It was purely by accident that I got a job here. I had been applying for jobs all over the place and this one just happened to be the one that came through. A match made in heaven. One of the best things about Vienna is it’s location. So much of Europe, the Mediterranean, and North Africa is just a short airline hop away. In my next life, I want to come back as my kids. :)

Great idea. Morocco would be terrific. Another easy-to-get-to idea is Sarajevo. Wife and I went there last year. It is called the Jerusalem of the Balkans. I have never seen such centuries old diversity in such a small city. Take a few steps and you cross from the Muslim to the Eastern Orthodox neighborhood. There are also Catholic and Jewish areas. A line in the main street marks the boundary beyond which alcohol cannot be sold. And the city still has the scars and blasted buildings from the war in the 1990s. Definitely a place that makes a person give serious thought to the problems of the world ...but also gives hope.

Cornelius and Blackthorn like this.
  7. de Stokesay

Thank you. Yes, I can’t wait until travel is once again possible. My new wife and I bought an adventure bike in August and want to do some travelling on it. Weekend camping trips, the. SoCal to visit some of my family, then someday when there’s more time available Istanbul to Beijing via the old silk routes through the ‘Stans.

Blackthorn likes this.
  8. de Stokesay

Morocco is indeed an amazing place, and I’m so lucky that I was able to spend a whole month there! It sounds like you have made similar choices to what I did. Good luck on your circumnavigation. I intend to circumnavigate by both motorcycle as well as sailboat. I just turned 47 so I’m hopeful that I have a bit of time left to adventure. I’ve seen parts of 5 continents so far but there’s so much more out there!

9. de Stokesay

Thanks for the recommendation Cornelius, I haven’t been to Nicaragua yet, although I did spend three weeks in Guatemala a couple of years ago. The only catch is that my wife’s ex-husband is quite protective of his daughter (and rightly so) so it would have to be a place that he deems to be “safe”. I’ll definitely keep it in mind though and perhaps work him up to the idea.

10. de Stokesay

I have a bunch of army buddies who were in Sarajevo in the 1990s and I’ve heard that it’s a completely different place now (fortunately)!

We were actually supposed to have gotten married in Slovenia this past August and were hoping to visit Sarajevo on our honeymoon, but obviously the whole plan got scrapped due to Covid.

11. deepestbluest

deepestbluest Familiar Face

I had trips planned to both Morocco and Namibia this year that had to be scrapped... :(

I feel your pain!

12. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

^^^^^ Yes, I can’t believe that it has now been a full year since I travelled outside of Austria. Funny to think that, maybe, from the early 1960s until 2020 all of us were experiencing the golden age of travel and didn’t even know it at the time.

Blackthorn and Big Man like this.