Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Baggers

There is a SMLE stock on OFAS UK at the moment, I think. You may be interested.

Alan

Baggers said:
The last No.1 MK III I picked up a couple of years ago was a 1943 dated Australian Lithgow Arsenal rifle. Someone had Sporterized the forearm, but the metal looked good and the receiver was milled to accept a magazine cutoff. After some begging on the Enfield Collectors Forum for a cutoff and some wood and scrounging around in the spares box it now looks a lot closer to it's original issue configuration, but I sure would like to find a set of coachwood furniture and perhaps some Aussie marked metal bits to complete the transformation. Still, it looks great with a 1940 Mangrovite '07 bayonet mounted on it.

I think I still have the shortened forearm gathering dust somewhere, perhaps I should dig it out and rub some linseed oil into it. Then I could use it for some "big game hunter" pictures. :D

Cheers!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Baggers said:
The last No.1 MK III I picked up a couple of years ago was a 1943 dated Australian Lithgow Arsenal rifle. Someone had Sporterized the forearm, but the metal looked good and the receiver was milled to accept a magazine cutoff. After some begging on the Enfield Collectors Forum for a cutoff and some wood and scrounging around in the spares box it now looks a lot closer to it's original issue configuration, but I sure would like to find a set of coachwood furniture and perhaps some Aussie marked metal bits to complete the transformation. Still, it looks great with a 1940 Mangrovite '07 bayonet mounted on it.

I think I still have the shortened forearm gathering dust somewhere, perhaps I should dig it out and rub some linseed oil into it. Then I could use it for some "big game hunter" pictures. :D

Cheers!

And to think of how many we had of the these in the Q store in school cadets in the late 60s. We even fired them at the rifle range and took them on exercises to use with blanks:p ....then a lot changed and cadets have no firearms any more to train with.[huh] [huh] :rage:

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Here's my Shearling Adventure Jacket and Mark VII replica ready for a cold-weather adventure:

magnoli-shearling.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Baggers

Practically Family
Alan Eardley said:
Baggers

There is a SMLE stock on OFAS UK at the moment, I think. You may be interested.

Alan

Thanks, Alan, but perhaps I'm missing something. All I could find was mostly Indian wood with the screw. Feel free to PM a more "directed" hint. ;)

Cheers!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
The men have Royal Artillery arm of service tabs on their topees - the one on the left is indistinct in B&W but the one on the right is clear and is unofficial but common. Sola topees are present so it must be after 1937. I would say these guys are from a Field Detachment (maybe the 85th) of the Royal Artillery in North West India (as it was then).

The shirts look like aertex and were standard issue in various patterns from the late 30s to the 50s. In the field, they took time to arrive so I would guess this was taken around 1939 or later. They appear in both pullover and button through forms - officers' private purchases make it bewilderingly complicated. The darkness of the buttons makes me think these were made in India. It's a bit unusual to see short-sleeve versions before WW2. The 1950 pattern aertex shirt is very much the same and is still reasonably common in both KD and JG.

Alan

carter said:
The battledress blouse on the left looks like a pullover. The one on the right appears to be full-buttoning.

Does anyone have any information on these?

Were they standard issue for North Africa and/or the tropics?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
BW, nice lid! Where in Indiana are you? I did my MA at Ball State, and was in the Reserves at Ft Wayne.

RockBottom, that's a great shot! Where were you? Here's a chair more to my liking these days:

johnzebrachairsm.jpg

Someday when all you gentlemen of adventure come to visit me at my estate (after I win the lottery, of course), my library will be well appointed with comfortable chairs like this for brandy and cigars. Then the next day we'll venture out for the hunt.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
RockBottom, that's a great shot! Where were you?

It was one of the Baghdad palaces. I was in so many I don't remember exactly which one it was. Since the Engineers were using it at the time, it was the only one with running water and toilets that worked!

There are other shots from Iraq (and elsewhere) in the "travels" section of my web gallery.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I drink nearly that much coffee in a day, or so it seams.

Who has action photos to post? That is, in the bush actually using gear and clothing - hunting, camping, trekking, fishing............ How about accessories, knives, compasses, binoculars..................

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
nobodyspecial said:
I drink nearly that much coffee in a day, or so it seams.

Who has action photos to post? That is, in the bush actually using gear and clothing - hunting, camping, trekking, fishing............ How about accessories, knives, compasses, binoculars..................

Does fly fishing count?

DSC_1597.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hello to another fly fisherman RB. One of the very best ways to spend a day.

Interested to talk more with you about it here at the Lounge. I'm counting the months to true dry fly weather here ;)

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Smithy said:
Hello to another fly fisherman RB. One of the very best ways to spend a day.

Interested to talk more with you about it here at the Lounge. I'm counting the months to true dry fly weather here ;)

Are you still at Trondheim? I mentioned in another thread that I'll be there in March.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany