Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mark G said:
Got the Beretta clothing catalog yesterday. Looks like a great safari jacket.

http://www.shopberetta.com/e2wItemM...tLink=012000100:008000191:008000053:008000184
Mark, did the wife relent on a safari-style jacket? I have to admit, I hesitate sometimes when I'm heading out the door in the new Riverina and I go to grab a jacket. I like the practicality of both the Riverina and the safari jacket, but it can be a bit much, especially when I notice I'm wearing a bush shirt, too! lol

Mark G

A-List Customer
Mojave, no, but I keep on trying. Even when I'm in Africa I sometimes feel out of place. Everyone is either in canvas or baseball hats. And I have a photo/safari vest but that's the last thing you want to wear... screams tourist.

I'm leaving on this Saturday for three weeks in Kenya (with four days in the Seychelles) and one of the airlines won't allow more than one checked bag. I usually check my hat box (bullet proof on more than four previous excursions) but now I"m stuck and wearing/carrying my hat for more than thirty hours is out of the question. I hope I can resolve this soon.

Also, I'm going to be going to Tsavo and hope to visit Patterson's man eaters den. You just can't do that with a baseball cap.

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Mark G, don't know if you've been to the Seychelless before, but it's gorgeous. Especially if you get out of the touristy areas. I've been there twice, most recently in November. My friend and I paid a local taxi driver to give us a driving tour of the island (Mahe). You must go to the waterfall in the national park. The Boat House restaurant is my favourite place to eat. They serve curried fruit bat - a local delicacy. I'll be posting pics in The Steamer Trunk when I'm back next week. We'll have to share stories.

Eric

Mark G

A-List Customer
Eric, thanks for the tip. We'll try and do just that.

This will be my first time and I'm looking forward to it. I've wanted to go since I read the "Hildebrand Rarity" by Ian Fleming as a kid (we're even staying in the same hotel).

Just hope the trouble in Kenya doesn't muck up the flights. (not that I'm trying to reduce the problems to one of an inconvenience to me)

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mark G said:
I'm leaving on this Saturday for three weeks in Kenya (with four days in the Seychelles). Also, I'm going to be going to Tsavo and hope to visit Patterson's man eaters den.
I want to go!! :cry:
Mark G said:
I hope I can resolve this soon.
Sure, take me along and I'll carry all the hats! :D

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On just ended travel to India I simply stuck my Sahib (aka, Akubra Riverina) on top of my bag in the overhead of the plane. Sometimes I would create a little niche for it between the end of the compartment and my bag. Once or twice it had the sides pushed in a little, but it was fine through probably close to 50 hours of air travel on both international and domestic flights.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Alan, I found the same thing on my recent trip out east. The only hat I took was my Whippet, and though it got bounced around the overhead a bit, it came out looking fine. The only thing I really worried about was getting dirt on it. If that's the case, Mark, you could take a small cloth bag or something that fits easily into your carry-on, and just put your hat into that when you put it in the overhead.

Mark G said:
Got the Beretta clothing catalog yesterday. Looks like a great safari jacket.

http://www.shopberetta.com/e2wItemM...tLink=012000100:008000191:008000053:008000184
Finally got a chance to sit down and leaf through this catalog, too. Man, I could spend a lot of money there!

These, in particular caught my eye:

img_catalog%5C70175470_L.jpg

Those would be nice out here, and though $178 is a bit steep, if they're good boots they might be worth it.

I also noticed these pants:Razorgrass Overlay Pant

They have all the features I look for in good field pants, but can never get. The only problem is, I could never justify $100 for pants for the field! In my job I could wear these for most days in and around the office, and just wait for them to reach the point that they are no longer acceptable in the office due to wear, and then they become field pants. That could be years, though! lol

There are also half a dosen shirts I'd love, but, alas, no talls. :mad: Dopes. Make some tall sizes already!

tonypaj

Practically Family
Mark G said:
Mojave, no, but I keep on trying. Even when I'm in Africa I sometimes feel out of place. Everyone is either in canvas or baseball hats. And I have a photo/safari vest but that's the last thing you want to wear... screams tourist.

I'm leaving on this Saturday for three weeks in Kenya (with four days in the Seychelles) and one of the airlines won't allow more than one checked bag. I usually check my hat box (bullet proof on more than four previous excursions) but now I"m stuck and wearing/carrying my hat for more than thirty hours is out of the question. I hope I can resolve this soon.

Also, I'm going to be going to Tsavo and hope to visit Patterson's man eaters den. You just can't do that with a baseball cap.

I worked in Kenya for two years in mid 90s, great country. And you're right, the locals (and anyone staying there longer) wear just shorts, jeans/khakis, and t-shirts, with any old hat. The safari gear is for tourists... Good luck, keep your eyes open, and stay safe.

tonypaj

P.S. My friends there keep giving very conflicting info about the security situation. Some say no problems at all, some are worried. But that's how it always is in Africa... The only advice I'd give to anyone going to a place like Kenya, try not to look like a target...

Mark G

A-List Customer
It looks as if I'm carrying/wearing the hat, and Mike, I'm bringing a shirt just like that except in khaki with a dark brown circle. I'm going to make them work for it.

kiltie

Practically Family
something kinda funny...

I happened onto this site a few months back when I was looking for pre-Gap Banana Republic stuff. While I was doing a little internet searching, I got a link that turned me onto a thread in here where a couple of people were talking about how they missed the old BR. So here are a few things I've gotten together. And before you ask, yes...I really am in the jungle in the pics...:p

Safari Jacket, Chambray shirt, pants, last generation of the fur felt safari hats; all Pre-Gap BR:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/nanner-safari.jpg

Non-BR Stetson straw, non-BR tie: cotton jacket, button down shirt, linen vest, pants, all pre-Gap BR:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/brfancy.jpg

BR does Indy: A2 type jacket, shirt, pants, Israeli Army bag, early (first?) gen. fur felt safari hat, all pre-Gap BR:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/nanner-indyz.jpg

Probably the last good thing out of BR: post-Gap linen jacket, pre-Gap safari shirt, early gen. fur felt hat:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/brsafari2.jpg

Some stuff: Safari jacket, Israeli Army pants and large gear bag, all pre-Gap BR:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/brstuff.jpg

So there's some adventure gear for ya...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred