Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
wool is good. Old army greatcoats. Heavy wool army pants (I like the swedish ones). Great stuff. Keeps you warm, gives you some padding.

Story

I'll Lock Up
tonypaj said:
I prefer hotels...

Indeed. Beats sleeping on the floor of the tank's turret basket and having the guy on radio watch accidentally step on your head at 1AM. Or sharing the tarpaulin with three other smelly tankers on the back deck, waking up for a 4AM short count to a crisp coating of frost on everything. lol

Do they have the acronmyn F.T.S. in the Arme Francaise? :D

PS: (Topical) Wool socks!!!! But don't forget the foot powder.

WH1

Practically Family
Even today most of my hunting/camping kit is made of natural fibers, they are quieter in the brush. I also prefer the feel of cotton, silk and wool.

For knee high lace up boots a classic choice is the 16" tall linesman boot from Whites. Not cheap but will last a lifetime.

http://www.drewsboots.com/work.htm

For the clothing Filson is another classic product line. Waxed Tin Cloth is hard to beat for durability and waterproofing from a vintage product. I have been wearing the same tin cloth jacket with wool vest liner for over 10 years now and it is in great shape.

http://www.filson.com/home/index.jsp

When I first came in the military our standard cold weather gear was still the M1950 Korean War era wool shirt with windproof trousers. I still have a couple of the shirts for hunting. Hard to beat wool for staying warm, spent many comfortable nights in subzero weather with only natural fiber clothing worn loose and in layers.

WH1

Practically Family
I will start a photo journal of the bedroll project and post anything interesting! Does anyone have suggestions for padding - we were intending to use a foam of some sort but are open to suggestions. (Sorry if that is off topic!)[/QUOTE]

here is a link which has some information on cowboy bedrolls.

http://www.cowboycamp.net/bedrolls.htm

I use a piece of one inch foam rubber with a couple of heavy quilts or wool blankets. Good for summer.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
WH1 said:
I will start a photo journal of the bedroll project and post anything interesting! Does anyone have suggestions for padding - we were intending to use a foam of some sort but are open to suggestions. (Sorry if that is off topic!)

Now, I probably won't be sleeping on one myself, so please excuse this suggestion. How about kapok? It's natural, light and insulating.

Copper

One of the Regulars
Story said:
Hahahahaaha - check this out, $10 from IMA!
http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/products_id/1861

ABB2102.jpg

I wear a shemagh -also British Army Issue- under my Belstaff Trialmaster when riding in cool weather. Not wrapped around my head as in the photo mind you, just around the neck.

It is fantastic at keeping the draft out without getting too warm.

I'll be donning it for the morning commute in about 5 minutes, as a matter of fact...

Lion

New in Town
Creeping Past said:
Quite so, Dave.
From a personal perspective, I'm in uncharted territory as far as vintage outdoors style goes, because serious-minded outdoors types undoubtedly regard natural fibre-clad hillwalkers and mountain scramblers as anomalous, wrong-headed and foolish play-acting fops. For them, it's a kind of kitsch, because it involves using low-quality gear, as far as they are concerned, and being, practically, useless.

Check out some outdoors forums at random for some ripe opinions on using older gear.

Just curious, could you define what you mean by "serious-minded outdoors types"? I think I know where you're coming from, but wanted to check.

Natural fibers aren't going to die off any time soon. Especially for colder weather pursuits. There are still plenty of people who swear by wool and waxed canvas and swear at Gortex. There are even people out there who still prefer tumplines to hip belts. Personally, I don't think fashion belongs in the outdoors. Style yes, fashion no.

Leo

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Lion said:
Just curious, could you define what you mean by "serious-minded outdoors types"? I think I know where you're coming from, but wanted to check.

Hello Lion,

I'm talking about 'performance' people, who parrot brochures and press releases and link that second-hand information to obvious safety concerns.

Safety first, of course. But comfort and style come in joint second, in my book. 'Performance' isn't really an issue for me. But then I'm not looking to shave seconds off my personal best time for walking over a moor...

In my view, 'performance' gear is fashion gear, never mind if it's cutting-edge technology.

Lion

New in Town
Creeping Past said:
Hello Lion,

I'm talking about 'performance' people, who parrot brochures and press releases and link that second-hand information to obvious safety concerns.

Safety first, of course. But comfort and style come in joint second, in my book. 'Performance' isn't really an issue for me. But then I'm not looking to shave seconds off my personal best time for walking over a moor...

In my view, 'performance' gear is fashion gear, never mind if it's cutting-edge technology.

Thanks. That's what I thought. Never could understand the people who are all about how far and how fast. For me, it kind of defeats the purpose of being in the wild. To each his own.

Leo

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Thanks for some of the information and suggestions for the bedroll. We will be working on it this weekend a bit. We are still really not sure about what to use as padding - so we really appreciate the suggestions in that area a lot!

I just want to point out - in regard to the discussion about modern fabrics versus natural - that many of your high end gear is in fact re-introducing natural fibers as though they were brilliantly new. See any store for base layers ironically made out of this nifty fabric called wool! My husband and I always laugh that they act like it is something new!!

I really think that there is little difference for some (qualify that this does not apply to all gear) vintage gear and modern gear - I will let you know from personal experience after we attempt to hike Pikes Peak (from the shorter side) this weekend with our canvas rucksacks and whatever pseudo-vintage gear we decide to take along. I really feel that safety usually boils down to wise decision making rather than gear choices in most circumstances. I, of course, would not rely on vintage rope or something foolish like that - but in most cases other than weight old or new gear is just gear.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Mrs. Merl said:
Thanks for some of the information and suggestions for the bedroll. We will be working on it this weekend a bit. We are still really not sure about what to use as padding - so we really appreciate the suggestions in that area a lot!

Will you be taking photos as you progress?

Mrs. Merl said:
I just want to point out - in regard to the discussion about modern fabrics versus natural - that many of your high end gear is in fact re-introducing natural fibers as though they were brilliantly new. See any store for base layers ironically made out of this nifty fabric called wool! My husband and I always laugh that they act like it is something new!!

Is this re: the amazing merino resurgence? I tried a merino zip-front sweater on in a local store and was told it was good, "more like a fleece than wool"! I suppose he meant it was better than cheap woollens.

As it turned out, it was a poor product (can't remember the name) and the back of it turned to felt on my first excursion. That was when I was still using a nylon ruck. May not have happened with a canvas one.

in most cases other than weight old or new gear is just gear.

I'm with you all the way...

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Well, we have an annoying habit of taking pictures of everything (or at least I do!) So there will be pictures for sure - whether there are any worthwhile ones...:)

Was the product perhaps "Icebreaker?" I have not yet tried many of the new specialty wool products - they are sure cheaper at the thrift stores! I hate pilling (felting, balling, etc.) in most products - so that is not a good recommendation for that product - sorry you didn't have good luck. We have had good luck with the washable wool sweaters at REI - sadly they don't seem to have them right now at the one near us. They were pretty plain and standard wool sweaters - but machine washable!

For skiing my husband actually has a modern mountaineering jacket that layers in three - interestingly the vest is down and the liner is a wool blend and it works amazingly well and is multi-season as each piece is light weight and small - just a few points for "old-timey" natural fibers being just as good as new synthetics (and that they are still being used!) Sorry to go on so - I am just a huge fan of the versatility and usefulness of good ol' natural fibers!! I love wool!!

Crane's

Familiar Face
Wool is still considered one of the best materials for outdoor clothing. It insulates when wet. It can absorb 30 percent of it's weight in moisture without feeling wet. It is breathable. It's capable of body temperature moderation across a wide ambient temperature range. It's tough. In cold weather I wear very technical modern base layers combined with wool intermediate and outer layers. I get cold easily and this combination has worked very well for me in all kinds of conditions.

Now for the part that might get me roasted here.

I understand the lore of wanting to go "vintage" when on an adventure of a lifetime. The materials used were the best of there time. That was then and this is now. The new technical materials generally do a much better job than the old materials for the intended purpose at hand. One must keep in mind when outfitting themselves for the outdoors that Mother Nature can and will kill you if she gets a chance. I'm sorry but when it comes to outfitting a client or reviewing their equipment list I look at only one thing. That one thing is making sure they have the best chance of survival when things go very wrong. I'll go so far as to say that any of the adventurers of old would pick clothing and gear made from the new technical fibers if they were around today. Again, this is not about style, lore or anything else except survivability.

Flame away....

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Crane's said:

I understand the lore of wanting to go "vintage" when on an adventure of a lifetime. The materials used were the best of there time. That was then and this is now. The new technical materials generally do a much better job than the old materials for the intended purpose at hand. One must keep in mind when outfitting themselves for the outdoors that Mother Nature can and will kill you if she gets a chance. I'm sorry but when it comes to outfitting a client or reviewing their equipment list I look at only one thing. That one thing is making sure they have the best chance of survival when things go very wrong. I'll go so far as to say that any of the adventurers of old would pick clothing and gear made from the new technical fibers if they were around today. Again, this is not about style, lore or anything else except survivability.

No flames here, I understand perfectly what you're saying. But shall I say that my adventures will undoubtedly be a great deal less strenuous than yours. I try not to go into situations where my life depends on my clothing.

-Dave

David Conwill said:
No flames here, I understand perfectly what you're saying. But shall I say that my adventures will undoubtedly be a great deal less strenuous than yours. I try not to go into situations where my life depends on my clothing. -Dave
Hey Dave!

I just wanted to relate to you something that seems to come up here more often than I recall back in NY. Here is Southern California the wilds I guess are a bit more readily accessable and it seems that people get into trouble with some regularity. In the local mountains, people get lost from the trails and the campsites every weekend and have to spend a night or more out in the wilderness. Same thing happens in the desert, people get stuck and are unprepared for the time it takes to walk out or wait for help. Particularly in the mountains it is possible to have bad weather roll in while one is stuck or lost, at best the right clothing can make the difference between comfort and discomfort or at worst, life or death. Same thing can happen while driving and a winter storm traps a motorist. Being prepared makes the difference.

Again out this way, probably once a week you'll hear a story of lost and stranded people in the wilderness, which tends to point to the problems can come when you least expect it.

With best regards,

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Crane's said:
Mother Nature can and will kill you if she gets a chance. I'm sorry but when it comes to outfitting a client or reviewing their equipment list I look at only one thing. That one thing is making sure they have the best chance of survival when things go very wrong. I'll go so far as to say that any of the adventurers of old would pick clothing and gear made from the new technical fibers if they were around today. Again, this is not about style, lore or anything else except survivability.

Flame away....

Less a flame, more warm breath from me!

The adventurers of any age will acquire the best stuff money can buy. These days, and probably back in the day, there's also sponsorship to consider: who's wearing what for whom, etc.

With respect, this forum is all about style.

Like I said, for me it's safety first, style/comfort second. And if I'm going anywhere dangerous, I'll be sure to raise a moistened finger before sallying forth to see whether to don more woollens! Seriously, though, horses for courses, as we say round my way. Appropriate clothing always.

Edit:

So Crane, are you an adventure outfitter? Do you deal with the full kit list? Where do your clients travel to? How long have you been adventuring?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Crane's said:

Flame away....
No flames here, because you're absolutely right. In your situation you cannot afford the luxury of style over practicality or safety. Anyone undertaking any sort of activity that is potentially life-threatening is a fool not to take the appropriate precautions, be it hiking the Appalachian Trail or summiting Mount Everest. Mark G., for example, is a regular traveler to East Africa, and recounts the tales of the Putzi Fly, a rather nasty type of blow-fly. The Putzi Fly lays its eggs on wet clothing and when the unsuspecting owner puts on their clothing the eggs hatch and the larvae burrow into the skin to mature (for a really graphic series of photos illustrating this, go here). Apparently, however, the flies will not lay their eggs on synthetic fiber clothing, hence Mark wears only his quick dry clothing. Obviously anyone traveling to this area of the world would be well advised to a) take the time to learn and understand the risks, and b) leave their stylish clothes at home or bring an iron to kill the eggs. If they don't, well, that's termed "natural selection."

Like Mark, I have my quick dry shirts, wicking socks, cool max t-shirts, etc. for when I am working, and will not sacrifice practicality for cool points. But when I camp for leisure I prefer to do it in a manner reminiscent of the Golden Age. That's why I come here.

Having said that, however, there are numbers of people that are looking to recreate the entire experience authentically, just as there are some percentage of people that want to try and summit Everest without oxygen. Let's just hope they have properly prepared themselves...

A recent find

20 GBP in a surplus store. An Australian made 1950 pattern short jacket. The photos don't show it (well they do, if you look hard enough), but above he waistband there are 2 pleats either side of the midline on front and back, resulting in very blousy fit. It's a great jacket for spring days. The map pockets are very useful.

AussieIke1.jpg
AussieIke2.jpg

Double press stud wrist closure.

AussieIke3.jpg

Maker and defense dept. designations.

AussieIke4.jpg
AussieIke5.jpg

The fastners, "Carr Fast Australia".

AussieIke6.jpg

Cool deco lightning zipper.

AussieIke7.jpg

bk