Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Speedbird, welcome to this forum first and thank you for the in depth advice.

It is July, but when my brother did it a few years ago someone in his group ended up with hypothermia as a result of not changing out of wet clothes. Therefore, summer or not I want to be prepared for the worst. I fully agree that Dartmoor may be a ba***rd of a place and I don't intend to let it get the better of me.

As for not being retro, I understand what you mean about having to go by the guidelines and not making it a fashion parade. My intention was to find items of clothing which are allowed by the guidelines but have some classic style to them. An example would be my military surplus shirt which I'm fairly sure I would be allowed, but has some vintage appeal to people like me.

My trousers are Craghoppers, and I think I'll stay with them as I've tried and tested them so I know they work. I even wore them sailing once (in summer) and found they were quite good for that. Same with the boots. I know for certain that they will work as well as looking after my ankles. They have been worn it but not been used much beyond that, so they are in good condition.

I will see about breathable jackets, but out of experience I like my plastic because I know that no matter how much rain I get it will never soak through. With other materials I'm always worried whether they will eventually soak through. But I'll ask my leaders and look around to find a good solution.

I will take your advice and get gaiters. I might allow myself to colour combine them with my trousers, but I'll certainly place function over fashion.

As for the hat though, I'm afraid I can be a very stubborn fool there. I will take a wooly hat, but I'm unlikely to wear it in anything other than an emergency. I dislike wooly hats and only the worst case scenario could make me wear one. I realise a tweed deerstalker is about the most ridiculous looking thing someone of 17 could wear, but I think my friends by now appreciate my odd dress sense. But I also say deerstalker because I think it should be functional enough if it's cold.

So thanks again for the advice. I will definitely take it as far as keeping my current trousers and boots go, and I'll make sure I take anything too stupid (aside from the deerstalker).

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Dartmoor

Hey Mr Alan .... that's superb to read and hear .... you obviously know what you are about - I kind of still disagree with you on the waterproof ... but as long as you know you will get wet from the inside if you don't ventilate, then you can deal with that. Your military shirt will be perfect - I always used to use army og polycotton shirts 'cos I hated the itchy woolly type and RN No8 working shirts - they are still my fave in some ways. You can easily do retro/vintage style safely but it does take a bit of thinking about. What works well in one climate won't suit another but there are good and viable options out there. It's just sometimes the only really viable natural choices i.e. wool gaberdines and ventiles are hugely expensive or make you look like a budding super dooper paratrooper - think the widely touted and sometimes fake SAS and Para Smocks, which are quite good but not ideal for a D of E trip where the group needs to be visible not camo'ed up.

With regard to the deer stalker, I honestly couldn't think of a more suitable bit of head gear in so many ways - the prospect of a 17 year old tramping across Dartmoor in one is priceless and if you have the confidence and 'cahunas' - then absolutely go for it! I just didn't think a young guy would even consider it but I was wrong! So all power to you! I admire your stubborness and you probably won't need the woolly hat or sunhat in that case. (It might be too warm as a sun hat though - perhaps throw in the boonie hat somewhere?)

I really think you will have a good trip - Dartmoor is amazing and so beautiful and wild. If you prepare for it, all will be fine. When things go wrong mostly it is poor preparation. Occassionally, bad weather events occur unexpectedly but if you prepare for that as well, things generally turn out ok.

Thanks for the welcome to the forum! I really enjoy it.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I agree that overdoing it isn't the best idea and I don't want to look like a wannabe soldier. Hence I think a military shirt will be fine if worn with regular walking trousers. I agree with you that paratrooper trousers may be a bit much.

I am certainly confident enough to wear a deerstalker I think. I wear a fedora on a daily basis (when not in school uniform), and when going out I wear a three piece suit. A deerstalker is not too much considering it will only be my friends who see me anyway. I also can't think of anything more appropriate considering that The Hound of the Baskervilles takes place in Dartmoor. :rolleyes:

I'm with you on preparation. It was my brother's preparations which allowed his group member to be saved when he had hypothermia. In my case I'm preparing by asking the experts here what's best.

I am looking forward to conquering Dartmoor though. I have been told about its beauty (when the visibility allows it to be seen of course).

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Speedbird 'Adventuring'

I thought I'd post a pic of me adventuring last summer .... and whilst little or none of what I am wearing is vintage or khaki in the truest sense... I like to think I was taking influence from my love of historic desert exploration/travel.

The photo itself was rubbish complete with telegraph post growing out of my head - as so often when one is in the photo, rather than taking it - so I did a rough cut out but unfortunately my pc skills aren't great!

I am wearing a cheap straw (I considered it disposable for the trip as I knew it would get wrecked), a shemagh, traditional Clark's style suede desert boots, an unbranded cotton vest (very robust, I've had it years and the press studs and zips all still work - only one gripe, no poacher pocket to the rear), the shirt is an old one by Trespass with twin chest pockets with pleats and sleeve roll up tabs and is beautifully comfy in hot weather.

DSCN0106-2-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Now, this outfit was practical and suited the task in hand - but lacks the style and grace of so much of what I have found in this thread so far. I look like a sack of spuds! So for the future I am taking inspiration from BT, Mojave Jack, Baggers and all you other stylish gents! I look forward to posting a pic after some style has rubbed off - a kind of pre - FL and post - FL look!
;-)

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Deer Stalker

Mr Alan

Nowt wrong with a woolly hat, even Mr Mears wears one!

However, Tweed & Dartmoor = Sherlock Holmes :D

Sherlock_Rathbone_Pic01.jpg

Such style oh, and the pipe smoke keeps the midges at bay ;)

Do heed Speedbirds advice though, you cannot beat the voice of experience.

Have a good time what ever you choose.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Here's a couple more:

HomePictures713-1.jpg
[/IMG]

HomePictures712.jpg
[/IMG]

Same problem - as stylish as a sack of spuds!

Now, would a pullover airtex KD shirt and trousers solve the lack of style? Or as I fear - maybe just a honest to goodness diet and exercise regime? :eek:

PS: sorry for huge photos - didn't expect that!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Speedbird- You'll get there soon enough.
The hunt is fun- the thrill of the chase, the hunt for clothes and gear,
new repro, junk/antique shop, auction, eBay.
Satisfying your needs and eye with some clever lateral thinking and
puzzle-piecing.
I'm hoping you've bookmarked some of the links that you've discovered in
the 2700 odd posts in this tome(tomb) of a thread!

Remember- there's a lot of good, affordable gear available from the various reenactor uniform vendors, which can be "eclectically combined" and it's not so hard to avoid a totally military look- although much of the famous adventurers' wardrobe and gear was typically military, or military inspired.
It can be quite surprising to discover that you can buy clothing sold in a niche market online, for less money than what you find on the high street.

Oh yes- you did mention Aertex and KD, so I guess you'r4e on the right track!

London, eh? North, or South?

BTW, nice Camel.

B
T

Speedbird

A-List Customer
nice camel..... not mine though!

Hello BT

Lol - gotta love camel!

With regards to vintage clothing and stuff I have flirted around the fringes for as long as I can remember; DJ's, collarless dress shirts, silk scarves and black jeans were a staple going out on the town rig when I was in my teens, with denim battle dress, og shirts, navy No 8 shirts, bundeswehr shirts etc for casual wear etc. I have never been able to pass by a surplus store without going in for as long as the invariably grumpy owners allow! I have spent far too much time and money in vintage clothes stores and charity shops on all sorts of good, bad and indifferent clobber over the years! I have always had a bit of a thing for hats, bush jackets and especially flying jackets. 20 years ago I thought I might make a living from it - I worked for a while for Flip/Mash on the Avirex UK set up - I even wrote to Jeff Clyman for a job in NYC. He actually replied too! I eventually worked for the Cockpit Clothing Co in Southampton for a short while. I have read some nice things about our Irvin replicas which, for for their time, were good. Alas, that didn't last. I had to get a proper job!

I have kind of rambled and wandered my way into Fedora Lounge by way of a bit of re-enacting and a gradual reawakening of latent desires to be like Bagnold, Shaw, Almazy, Chapman Andrews et al. This is where my true adventuring nature lies - I really want to find Zerzura... I think my spiritual home is Shepheard's!

I have noted from your posts you have been amassing a quite spectacular array of alpine and in particular, desert exploration gear with a view to manufacturing yourself - but some of these date back a couple of years. Are you any further down that road?

BTW - SE London, by the old staff college.

Speedy

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Greenwich?
Yes, I was thinking SE.
I was living in Blackheath for a couple of years, then Lewisham.
I was a regular at Mad Mike's, Lee Green.

My plans have gone forward and backward many times-
even as recently as last week, they went back into last century.
I'll keep trying...

Thanks for reading my posts, they were getting cobwebby.

That Lost Oasis book is great.

B
T

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Kippling Blazer...

Well, this one finally came down in price, & they even had my size. So, I just ordered one from J. Peterman. Should be here by March 1st.
http://www.jpeterman.com/Mens-Items/The-Kipling-Blazer
2594.jpg

I'll post some real pics when it comes in. It reminded me of some coats that BellyTank had posted here early on that I had admired. Hopefully this will make a nice three season coat for just about any activity. I may have to take this up to our hike to the top of Mt. St. Helens later on this year. At an elevation of 8,365 Feet it's not quite high enough to add an edelweiss pin to my cap but it'll be fun anyway.
1266px-Mount_St_Helens_Summit_Pano.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Nice jacket

... great style ... and I followed the link to the website ... some other nice goodies too - but mostly I think I will look only in the 'last chance' sale section!

I think Mt St Helen's probably deserves a small edelweiss - are there rules about such things - probably I suspect, I don't know but if I walked up to the blown crater of Mt St H in a bush jacket I'd probably want to mark the occasion with some token or other :)

Baggers

Practically Family
Re: Kipling Blazer

I saw this item when it first hit the catalog and was intrigued for a moment until I saw the price. I'll be curious to read your comments after it arrives. As someone who has drunk the J. Peterman Kool Aid with great gusto in the past, I can say with authority that they can be hit and miss at times. But when it's a hit, it's a solid one. However...

What Price Glory recently introduced their UK Army Officer Khaki Drill Service Dress Tunic. I ordered one, and it's currently sitting on a hanger waiting for me to get the sleeves cuffed. At only $68 USD, it's has all the features of the Kipling Blazer and more. Proper khaki drill material, bellowed lower pockets, removable brass belt hooks and waist belt with a brass two pronged buckle, and brass British General Service buttons attached with split rings. The sleeves are unfinished so that one can get a custom fitting and have a pointed false cuff. And It's a perfect match for their KD officer's trousers if one wants the full ensemble. Also, I've bought a set of brown leather buttons to swap out with the brass ones for a less militaristic look when conditions warrant.

If I trash this jacket, I won't shed nearly as many tears as I would over the J. Peterman version. In fact, I'm thinking of getting a spare to toss in the drawer just in case I do.

Cheers!

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
DanielJones said:
. At an elevation of 8,365 Feet it's not quite high enough to add an edelweiss pin to my cap but it'll be fun anyway.

Just out of curiosity... What is the appropriate elevation at which one can claim this edelweiss pin? I was under the impression it was just an Alps accomplishment and not a general elevation achievement.

Either way it makes me want to go mountain climbing now.

-Allen

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
Gatsby84 said:
Just out of curiosity... What is the appropriate elevation at which one can claim this edelweiss pin? I was under the impression it was just an Alps accomplishment and not a general elevation achievement.

Either way it makes me want to go mountain climbing now.

-Allen

This page has the info you my require.

http://www.vincelewis.net/edelweiss.html :)

but I would say this high
41-003_jpg.jpg

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Speedbird said:
I would be interested in this if still available?

Speedy

I still have this, I just saw your post! I see you are in the UK, and I will warn you: shipping will be an absolute bear. I have been aiming to get a British Army Bergen for years and shipping from the UK to the US on these babies is HIGH. However, I am willing, if you are.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
rucksack

Hi Trotsky ....

PM sent ... I wish I had a British one to swap with you, like for like and just cover postage each ... or better, if only I was travelling to your side of the pond.

Speedy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy