Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Aero steerhide conundrum

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
I've read posts regarding Aero's steeerhide being far too thick/stiff to the point of being unwearable. I really like the colour and single tone of this hide based on pics. Are there any owners of Aero steerhide that have come to a different conclusion regarding its wearability?

I'm contemplating a Bootlegger (for riding) in steerhide but if the hide is so over the top and near unbreakable I will have to opt for something else. (Aero may have lighter steer just as nice looking as their heavy steer, unfortunately I get the impression that so-called 'medium weights' are often esthetically inferior in comparison and post break-in?).

I've read that Aero's steerhide ranges between 5 and 6 oz. which does indeed sound like saddlery :) I'm not sure what 5-6 oz. equals in terms of mm but I have a 1.2 mm cowhide and based on that I would think anything over 1.5 - 1.6 mm would probably be 'too much'.
Ted.

Last edited:

Dav

One Too Many
Hi Bonneville
As an owner of both steerhide and horsehide I can say that the steerhide is definitely not for the faint hearted it is alot stiffer when new and at the moment (not having owned the steer for that long) I'm not sure that it will ever be as soft as the horsehide but time will tell. I've had to return my steerhide Cheyenne to have some stitching repaired yesterday so have put the FQHH Highwayman back on and I was surprised how supple it felt by comparison, prior to the steer I thought FQHH was the toughest thing going now I'm not so sure.
On a seperate note was it you that asked me how heavy the steer Cheyenne was? Well as the post office yesterday the package weighed in at 5.4kg so the coat must be around 5kg.
I wouldn't say the steer is unwearable but it is harder work.

macguzzi

New in Town
I have Aero jackets in Horse and steer my steerhide ones are 25 years old and are very soft and supple as with any Aero jacket they take time to break in. If you use top quality hides that is the case, hides also vary in thickness as they are a natural product. They also do Horse in vintage and oil pull these are softer than standard heavy front quarter horse.

Edward

Bartender
Not all their steerhides are so stiff, either. My Aero MC in steer is as thick and feels as durable a the FQHH, but is considerably more supple. I suspect they may have different weights in steer, as they do in horse. Worth checking out with them.

Peacoat

Bartender
If I may ask here, since presumably steerhide always comes from bulls, and cowhide only sometimes comes from bulls, is steerhide generally thicker than cowhide?

A steer is not a bull; it is a used to be bull. Don't be led astray by marketing ploys. It is all the same.

Yes, Aero's steer/cow is a heavy duty hide, but it isn't that big of a problem to break in. Just about the same as my Vanson. Steady wear will do the trick.

Comeon Peacoat...
How can you even utter such remarks...
a cow is the more tender sex of the cattle breed...
specially if she's a heifer...
everyone knows who's tougher..even if it sounds like a lotta bull...
plus a steer has good reason to be thicker skinned....:D

HD

Seriously..from my perspective..bullhide is tougher than either steerhide or cowhide...but actual steer is somewhat more robust or has a crisper hand than actual softer cow. Of course some manufacturers label cow as steer...because it just sounds more rugged. Sorry..not trying to confuse things....but often all or any cattlehide is refered to as cowhide...just as a herd of cattle are depected as cows. When I lived on a farm..there was often a specific difference...unless Mom said to go down and herd the cows up to the barn. Then that mean't ALL of whatever they really were. Confused yet..? :cool:
http://www.sheplers.com/mens/bullhide/036303.html

HD

Last edited:

Sillyrib

Familiar Face
I had a steerhide cafe racer from aero that I sold because it was way too uncomfortable for everyday riding. It would have been impossible to ride for a long trip mainly in the shoulder and neck areas. It did offer very good protection in case of a fall however. I think the main areas that would be difficult to break in would be any areas where the leather is doubled up like the kidney belt area and action back. The action back is like 4 folded over heavy pieces of leather at the shoulder blades and I don't think this works very well with the heavy steer. Maybe if they replaced it with a thinner leather for more flexibility. Otherwise, you feel like Frankenstein when wearing it. These jackets should be worn skin tight. Maybe in 10-20 years it would have broken in but I don't understand anybody who would live through twenty years of discomfort to have a wearable piece of clothing.

JLStorm

Practically Family
to try and explain how stiff the steer is. I have a steerhide aero jacket and a b3 jacket that is 100% overlayed in midweight horse. Now granted, by steerhide is heavier than their normal stuff because I made a special request, its probably pretty similar overall. When I compare the pliability of my steerhide jacket to the b3, its like comparing a regular leather jacket to a high fill down jacket. Its like comparing a piece of cardboard to a newspaper in flexibility. After a 14 months my steerhid jacket still stands up on its own unzipped. My steerhide jacket weighs about 12 pounds.

That said, I love the steerhide, but I really have to be in the mood to wear it. Even though my b3 weighs 10 pounds its pretty effortless to wear because its more flexible, the steerhide on the other hand feels like wearing chain male. It is comforting in its strength and durability, but its also a bit of a workout to wear and you can forget driving a car in it...its just to much effort.

I still wear my steerhide plenty though and I really do love it, but effortless it is not.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I recently purchased an aged tan steer hide that was supposedly heavy steer hide from Aero, it isn't anywhere near as hard to break in as my HH jackets from either Aero or Vanson. It really didn't seem very "heavy" at all.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
.... My steerhide jacket weighs about 12 pounds.

Which model is your steerhide JL? For comparison sake I have a 'Brando' style moto jacket that was advertised as 1.1 - 1.2 mm. cow. It weighs approx. 5.5 lb.
Based on my Brando I would think anything over 7-8 lb. might be onerous, especially if bi-swing backs are involved as another member noted. Of course if your a 'manly man' anything under 8 lbs. is likely sissy weight. :)

JLStorm

Practically Family
Which model is your steerhide JL? For comparison sake I have a 'Brando' style moto jacket that was advertised as 1.1 - 1.2 mm. cow. It weighs approx. 5.5 lb.
Based on my Brando I would think anything over 7-8 lb. might be onerous, especially if bi-swing backs are involved as another member noted. Of course if your a 'manly man' anything under 8 lbs. is likely sissy weight. :)

Its a highwayman with some a few more inches length and cut roomy like the cheyenne. Here are a few pics. Its over 11 pounds but under 13, so I call it 12 pounds. It has a thin shearling lining in the body only. As a comparison, I have a schott 184SM jacket that is 3oz leather and it to is 5 or 5.5 pounds. Its not the weight of this jacket which Will said is more like 6 - 6.5 oz, (although even as a strong guy, it is taxing on the shoulders and neck area), its the stiffness when doing things like bending or moving the arms that can get taxing after a while. Now, in Aero's defense, I did call Will and tell him that I wanted the heaviest thickest leather they could find and thats when he directed me to a specific piece of hide he had. Its a really fun coat to wear and its enjoyable to break in, but an every day jacket it is not.

3935b552.jpg

ec893154.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot