Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The age & possible value of a Stetson hat?

Buckland

New in Town
Does it have a BOP imprint? Stetson made several models that resembled the BOP, most notably the Austral. Is that a no. 1 Quality die on the sweat too? That was the bottom of the Stetson quality scale (though, to be sure, a very nice hat with quality well exceeding today's hats).

Putting a dollar value on something is difficult as ebay prices are fickle. That's a pretty old one though, so I would guess north of $200 for a 7 1/8
I am not 100% sure it's a Boss but the measurements do correspond, from the research I have done. From what I found it was made between 1900-1920. I did a little looking and the original owners name and address was on the Hat band and with a little research on Ancestry.com I figured out who he was. The cool thing is it actually fits me but I'm scared to wear it because I don't want to damage it, knowing it around 100 years old. I guess it's a shame to keep it stuffed in the box though so I will wear it carefully on occasion. I will post a few more images to hopefully pin down a little more information if possible.
20190603_072744.jpg
20190603_072725.jpg
20190531_140817.jpg

Attachments

• 20190603_074417.jpg
    20190603_074417.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1,293

Buckland

New in Town
That's a great looking hat and I don't think you're far off on the age. Is that the size tag near the sweat seam. Not everyone can pull off that low crown, flat brim look. You've got it down. Wear that hat. You won't hurt it.
Thanks for the opinion It is a 7 1/8

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
That's a fantasric hat. Get it out and give it some air!

I am not 100% sure it's a Boss but the measurements do correspond, from the research I have done. From what I found it was made between 1900-1920. I did a little looking and the original owners name and address was on the Hat band and with a little research on Ancestry.com I figured out who he was. The cool thing is it actually fits me but I'm scared to wear it because I don't want to damage it, knowing it around 100 years old. I guess it's a shame to keep it stuffed in the box though so I will wear it carefully on occasion. I will post a few more images to hopefully pin down a little more information if possible. View attachment 174757 View attachment 174758 View attachment 174761

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

I've got one that was attacked by moths that I wear, yours will be fine! I almost wore it today after reading this thread this morning.

20180727_080109-2-jpeg.128570

That's the BOP die mark....I don't know that we've ever seen one on the lounge.

We've had these discussions on the lounge before, with the Open Road for example, and whether or not they 'count ' without an embossed sweat. Unfortunately, as far as I know, we don't know conclusively whether the BOP was always stamped with that die mark. It was offered in No. 1 Quality according to the above 1900's Stetson catalog.

If the sweat didn't burst apart when you folded it down, you're good to go (though don't make a habit of it). It's probably not a bad idea to lightly condition the sweat, but those old Stetsons are well made. A "low end" No. 1 Quality hat of that era puts any modern Stetson to shame quite handily and during its time would not have been a "cheap" hat so much as it was the "value" version of a Stetson. Like say, the least expensive BMW is still a BMW.

We have one or two threads on No. 1 Quality Stetsons, they're generally quite well regarded.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-no-1-quality.42163/

I am not 100% sure it's a Boss but the measurements do correspond, from the research I have done. From what I found it was made between 1900-1920. I did a little looking and the original owners name and address was on the Hat band and with a little research on Ancestry.com I figured out who he was. The cool thing is it actually fits me but I'm scared to wear it because I don't want to damage it, knowing it around 100 years old. I guess it's a shame to keep it stuffed in the box though so I will wear it carefully on occasion. I will post a few more images to hopefully pin down a little more information if possible.

The No.1 Quality was Stetson's staple - not the most expensive and not the least expensive offering at the time, which is likely 1920s. Guessing the label on the sweatband is a price sticker - can't read it from the photo. The No.1 Quality was used for many different styles. The sweatband likely has a LOTXXXX stamp imprinted on the back of the sweatband near the front of the hat. If you can read it safely, it might help to fit it on the Stetson timeline a little more closely. Earlier examples have the mark imprinted vertically on the sweatband.

Buckland

New in Town
The No.1 Quality was Stetson's staple - not the most expensive and not the least expensive offering at the time, which is likely 1920s. Guessing the label on the sweatband is a price sticker - can't read it from the photo. The No.1 Quality was used for many different styles. The sweatband likely has a LOTXXXX stamp imprinted on the back of the sweatband near the front of the hat. If you can read it safely, it might help to fit it on the Stetson timeline a little more closely. Earlier examples have the mark imprinted vertically on the sweatband.
Thanks for the help figuring this out, it does have a lot5753 the sweat band is remakably in good condition but I'm not going to make a habit of pulling it down. It has an additional stamp as well but I have no clue as to what they mean. From what I've read stetson had the records destroyed some how, but maybe there's hope. I'll upload a couple more photos.
20190531_194914.jpg
20190531_194914.jpg

Attachments

• 13718.jpg
    13718.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,312

Buckland

New in Town

I've got one that was attacked by moths that I wear, yours will be fine! I almost wore it today after reading this thread this morning.

We've had these discussions on the lounge before, with the Open Road for example, and whether or not they 'count ' without an embossed sweat. Unfortunately, as far as I know, we don't know conclusively whether the BOP was always stamped with that die mark. It was offered in No. 1 Quality according to the above 1900's Stetson catalog.

If the sweat didn't burst apart when you folded it down, you're good to go (though don't make a habit of it). It's probably not a bad idea to lightly condition the sweat, but those old Stetsons are well made. A "low end" No. 1 Quality hat of that era puts any modern Stetson to shame quite handily and during its time would not have been a "cheap" hat so much as it was the "value" version of a Stetson. Like say, the least expensive BMW is still a BMW.

We have one or two threads on No. 1 Quality Stetsons, they're generally quite well regarded.

I'll see if I hap a better picture of the die mark and repost it, I appreciate anything you have to offer thanks again.

Thanks I'll try and post a better photo of the die mark but it might be getting blury because of compression issues when downloading from my phone.

Attachments

• 20190603_072709.jpg
    20190603_072709.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,218

Buckland

New in Town
That is awesome, I found the picture with the earthquake damage but never found the others. I managed to find the original owners address in Modesto Ca on a census with his name and information he graduated from Stanford and was a chemist, it's pretty cool that I found all that out from writing in a hatband.

Buckland

New in Town

Thanks that's a great looking hat those mothes sure like hats, my hat has a little bit of moth damage I am thankful they weren't very interested in it.

AMD

New in Town
Hi, I've got this hat and trying to get a value for it. Looked it up and see that it is 1940's ish because it says Royal Stetson DeLuxe instead of Royal DeLuxe Stetson. But all the hats I come across have a "name" like Open Road, Whippet etc. I don't know the name or type of hat this is and having a hard time finding something
similar online so that I can try to look up the value. Any help is appreciated.

stetson01.jpg stetson02.jpg stetson03.jpg stetson04.jpg stetson05.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hi, I've got this hat and trying to get a value for it. Looked it up and see that it is 1940's ish because it says Royal Stetson DeLuxe instead of Royal DeLuxe Stetson. But all the hats I come across have a "name" like Open Road, Whippet etc. I don't know the name or type of hat this is and having a hard time finding something

Most hats didn't have a name embossed on the sweatband. Assigning value to vintage hats is always perilous as ebay is fickle and interest comes and goes in waves. Size 7 is relatively small, but definitely more saleable than 6 7/8.

View attachment 194203 View attachment 194204 View attachment 194205 View attachment 194206 View attachment 194207

I do like the triple stitched overwelted brim treatment. As Jared said, most hats didn’t have their model name anywhere on the hat. It’s often impossible to determine what exact hat you have without additional provenance.

We don’t usually do valuations, but it doesn’t look like it would bring more than the cost of dinner (no drinks) at a modest restaurant for you and your wife. Then again, someone might love it and pay above market price. If it was 5-6 sizes bigger I’d make you an offer. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge!

Brent’s answer drew me over to this thread and even though folks on here don’t really like pricing hats, it really made my day to read all the kind responses to the lightly camouflaged “How much can I sell this hat for?” question.

I am on board with the other answers so far. As you noted, browsing around the Lounge will eventually get you the date of the hat - early 40s to probably 47 or 48, if I recall the generally accepted (but still debated) date for the switch from Royal Stetson Deluxe to Royal DeLuxe Stetson. These were $12.95 hats at the time.

Using my equally imperfect eBay sale memory, these in a size 7 (small for today’s market) can sell for a pretty broad range, the dinner without drinks quote is perfect. There are always exceptions as mentioned above. If two folks want to fight over a hat it might go higher, if for some reason no one notices it might just languish in eBaygatory.

One question: does the hat fit you? Wear it!

2nd Question: Have any more?

It’s a great hat!

All the best,
Daniel

View attachment 194203 View attachment 194204 View attachment 194205 View attachment 194206 View attachment 194207

Last edited:

AMD

New in Town
Hi thanks for the responses. I found this forum and this thread in particular from Google searches. The thread is named age & possible value of a Stetson hat, so I just hopped on with my hat hoping to get an idea. I get that it's tricky to give a value.
To answer Daniel's two questions, no it doesn't fit and I'm a baseball cap guy. And why yes, I do have another hat. Thanks for asking.

This one looks similar but doesn't say Stetson. It's Lee Fifth Avenue Water Bloc, Black Label. Also size 7.

leehat01.jpg leehat02.jpg leehat03.jpg

Hi thanks for the responses. I found this forum and this thread in particular from Google searches. The thread is named age & possible value of a Stetson hat, so I just hopped on with my hat hoping to get an idea. I get that it's tricky to give a value.
To answer Daniel's two questions, no it doesn't fit and I'm a baseball cap guy. And why yes, I do have another hat. Thanks for asking.

This one looks similar but doesn't say Stetson. It's Lee Fifth Avenue Water Bloc, Black Label. Also size 7.

View attachment 194372 View attachment 194373 View attachment 194374

Another nice hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just Daniel

One Too Many
That Lee hat is pretty cool, we’ll have to try to convert you over to fedoras!

View attachment 194372 View attachment 194373 View attachment 194374

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR