Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
My all time hates, which are numerous, include: "24/7" which is now being used on the BBC news.

"I'm loving it"

The incorrect usage of the word "of" for example, "I should of", which should clearly be "I should have"

Substituting the phrase "She said" or "He said" with "She goes" or "He goes"

"Aks" instead of "Ask"

Anyone who mimes or mimics inverted commas whilst they are speaking to you.

"Ditto"

Oh, and the recent trend to start spelling definitely with an "a" that has started to appear.

My speech and grammar are far from perfect, but I do think that it is important to try.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
C-dot said:
Oh boy :eusa_doh: I took a Management Fundies class in high school, and it was all corporatespeak:

Fast Track
Key Enabler
Incent
Talk Track
Up-selling
Integrated Solution

and my personal favourite: Customer Service Ambassador.

On a dating website, almost all my matches said, "I think outside the box." They all lived very conventional lives (corporate job, house in the suburbs, enjoyed reading and hiking, and of course "[took] time out to smell the roses"). Am I that bland, too? :eek:

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Can I please never hear "awesome" again, ever?

Server: "how's your salad?"
Me: "fine, thanks."
Server: "awesome."
Me: [huh]

My salad being fine fills the server with awe? Poor boy needs to get out more.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"For Your Convenience..." on signs in stores, as in "For Your Convenience, This Entrance is Monitored by Video Surveillance." No, it's not for my convenience, it's to keep people from walking out the door with the merchandise. If you have to monitor, it's fine with me, but please don't try to convince me that you're doing me a kind favor by doing it, or that you have to sugar-coat your intentions to keep me from being scared away.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
"For Your Convenience..." on signs in stores, as in "For Your Convenience, This Entrance is Monitored by Video Surveillance." No, it's not for my convenience, it's to keep people from walking out the door with the merchandise. If you have to monitor, it's fine with me, but please don't try to convince me that you're doing me a kind favor by doing it, or that you have to sugar-coat your intentions to keep me from being scared away.

It actually is for your convenience due to the fact there is a recorded history that can be relied upon if there is an incident where you are accused of stealing. The recording will show that you are not a crook. :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I don't like "How's it going" or "What's happening" instead of "Hello" or "Hi." I start thinking about how it is going or what is happening instead of just saying hi back.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
With a little bit of this...

AllaboutEve said:
My all time hates, which are numerous, include:

Anyone who mimes or mimics inverted commas whilst they are speaking to you.

My speech and grammar are far from perfect, but I do think that it is important to try.

Ah air quotes, reminds me of the action to the Birdie Song / Chicken Dance.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6UV3kRV46Zs&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6UV3kRV46Zs&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Unfortunately there is rarely a chap with an accordion when someone is miming punctuation.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Overarticulation of foreign words and phrases in ordinary conversation, with the intent of impressing one's hearers with how multiingual one is. ("I'm running over to the --overenunciated -- Auhh Bonh Pahhn -- to get a --overenunciated -- cwahhhhsssssaawwwwn.") No matter how erudite they think it makes them sound, they always come across like Pepe Le Pew to me.

LizzieMaine said:
Overarticulation of foreign words and phrases in ordinary conversation, with the intent of impressing one's hearers with how multiingual one is. ("I'm running over to the --overenunciated -- Auhh Bonh Pahhn -- to get a --overenunciated -- cwahhhhsssssaawwwwn.") No matter how erudite they think it makes them sound, they always come across like Pepe Le Pew to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UEKbGXK6yk
lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL