Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Epito me

Marc Chevalier said:
How about annoying pronunciation?
Drives me nuts when folks pronounce the word "anti-Semitic" as "anti-Semetic".

It really makes me laugh, when folks pronounce pronunciation, pronounciation-
highlighting their own fault, as they tick off others for same.

I don't hear the anti-semetic one so often.
I guess I just don't move in the right circles.

But nucular was pretty bad- 2 terms of "nucular, nucular, nucular..."
I don't know if it's annoying but it makes the utterer of the nucular seem like a total Ägg-
when nucular is the topic and they're supposed to know something about it.
Politicians, or experts really should know their stuff and speak properly.
An adult saying nucular, is like a child saying chimbley, instead of chimney. Veridiculous.

Are folks really so uptight that other peoples' speech flaws actually do
drive them nuts..?

B
T

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Ethan Bentley said:
Executive Milkman
Executive Customer Service Ambassador (maybe they would get to wear a red sash?)
This sounds like the individual doesn't know what they want to say.

Doesn't it?! Hearing this language used in real time, its like they're saying so much- yet, nothing at all.

BTW, great Orwellian reference ;)

Paisley said:
I don't like "How's it going" or "What's happening" instead of "Hello" or "Hi." I start thinking about how it is going or what is happening instead of just saying hi back.

Speaking of dating sites, yesterday's paper included a study of response rates for certain phrases. "How's it going" had the highest amount. A matchmaking professional said it succeeds because it gives the person something to say back, whereas "Hi" or "Hello" does not.

Personally, I find it easy to respond: I say "Hello" back. lol

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Me, I'm plenty forgiving, and don't pretend to be perfect, but still these little things annoy me.
One of the worst, and already mentioned here, is "you know, you know, like, you know, like...". So maddening. Particularly encountered in an interview, whether with an athlete (they're notorious for it here in the US), or even a celebrity or public persona. If only people would actually form a complete thought before opening their mouths.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
C-dot said:
Speaking of dating sites, yesterday's paper included a study of response rates for certain phrases. "How's it going" had the highest amount. A matchmaking professional said it succeeds because it gives the person something to say back, whereas "Hi" or "Hello" does not.

Personally, I find it easy to respond: I say "Hello" back. lol

So that's what my problem is: my expectations, which I thought were sufficiently low, are still too high.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Very interesting thread. One particular phrase or set of words I can recall that annoy me ever so slightly are "so I says...". Originally I thought it was a regional thing, as the only person I'd heard it from was a coworker from Wisconsin. But over the years, I've caught it in conversations with folk from all over the place. At times, I've found it annoying simply because whoever says it uses it a lot. But most of the time I shrug it off...and just take it as casual American English, kind of like saying "ain't" or "y'know".

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I had a coworker who would say, "Hows come?" (That's not a typo.)

Also, she'd call our Houston office and say (every time, I think), "Houston, we have a problem. Hahahahahaha!"

Then there's "nother." As in, "a whole nother ballgame." The word is other as in an other.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Had an idiot in the office. The sort of idiot who makes you wonder if they can possibly be that dumb, or if they are just trying to get out of working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8panelnewsboy