Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
As Lady Day was originally saying, using "sorry" in place of "no", is just plain modern speak manipulation. Just like when your boss says, "Why don't WE go ahead and..." what they really mean is "Why don't YOU go ahead.."
As for using "sorry" in place of other more pertinent forms of apology or excuse, it is certainly better than the big old science I usually get here.

I was astounded the other day at the airport when a chap hauling his luggage off the carousel, headed straight for me with a huge box, promptly smashed into my arm and then gave me a dirty look for being in his way. After replying to his look with, "And where shall I send the bill for my damages?" he chose to change his route rather than apologise.

helenhighwater

Familiar Face
It's like when they divert your train to the point where you've got an extra hour or two added to your journey, and they say "we are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause to your journey." No you're not. If you really were sorry you'd let us travel for free, give us free drinks, pay for our phone calls to people we'd arranged to meet up with at the end of the journey or... heck... not have such a rubbish public transport system.

But if someone bumps into me I'm pleasantly surprised if they say sorry. Where I live, no one talks to each other! Wow, I got an apology!!! lol They'll just barge past and not care. Ignorant, impolite and deeply annoying. I normally shout after them "Perhaps you'd like to say sorry?"

"Excuse me" and "pardon" I tend only to hear when someone's either a. struggling to hear someone speak, or b. has released an involuntary bodily gas.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
helenhighwater said:
It's like when they divert your train to the point where you've got an extra hour or two added to your journey...
"Excuse me" and "pardon" I tend only to hear when someone's either a. struggling to hear someone speak, or b. has released an involuntary bodily gas.
lol Reminds me that London Underground periodically make announcements on the platform that 'There is a good service currently'. They actually mean 'the service is as advertised'.
As for 'pardon', I would think it should be uttered only by those involved with the Law or when making an attempt at the French language. Any other use of it marks one out as too 'polite' to be upper class and too polite to be working class. What you have left is the horrible aspiring Middle class.:( Any substitute for 'pardon' is preferable. (What?/ a smile/ even... sorry or 'I beg your pardon').
Of course saying this probably makes me a snob. But I'm not sorry..:)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
helenhighwater said:
It's like when they divert your train to the point where you've got an extra hour or two added to your journey, and they say "we are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause to your journey." No you're not. If you really were sorry you'd let us travel for free, give us free drinks, pay for our phone calls to people we'd arranged to meet up with at the end of the journey or... heck... not have such a rubbish public transport system.

There's probably nothing else the employees can do but say "sorry." At least that's something. I used to go out with someone who would show up late, not show up at all, eat and run, etc. He never offered a word of apology.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
There's probably nothing else the employees can do but say "sorry."

Exactly...and if they used "we offer our sincerest regrets'...then we would be here arguing the -non meaningfulness- of that overused phrase...;)

The thing here is ...it does not matter -which- phrase is used...its all in the meaning behind it....so if its not 'I'm Sorry'..it will be something else overused and thus meaningless...that's really part of the nature of language.

SuperKawaiiMama said:
As Lady Day was originally saying, using "sorry" in place of "no", is just plain modern speak manipulation. Just like when your boss says, "Why don't WE go ahead and..." what they really mean is "Why don't YOU go ahead.."
Which some of us are known to greet with "Is there a mouse in your pocket?"... (me, that's if I'm in a good mood--in a bad mood, I'll suggest it's "something else" not detailed here in their pocket.)

----------------
Now playing: John Barry - Necros Attacks
via FoxyTunes

cecil

A-List Customer
stephen1965 said:
About a year ago, in the English press there were articles about the mother of Prince William's girlfriend. (Can't recall her name). Anyway, apparently she would say 'Pardon?' (non U) when she meant 'What?'.(U = upper class, non-U means aspiring middle class)

Wow! I never knew about this distinction. I used to get in trouble from Mum if i said "What?" instead of "Pardon?". It was rude. But I'm not even middle let alone upper class, so I guess Mum knew best, as usual!

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
cecil said:
Wow! I never knew about this distinction. I used to get in trouble from Mum if i said "What?" instead of "Pardon?". It was rude. But I'm not even middle let alone upper class, so I guess Mum knew best, as usual!
I'm not an expert on this but I suppose that the upper class (U) can afford to be 'rude' or direct about what they say and what they want. The so called non-U Middle class are less direct and try to be 'polite' like a servant is polite to his master. Also it might have something to do with the idea that non-U words like 'pardon', 'serviette', 'toilet' seem to be derived from the French. As if knowing French meant you were attempting to climb the social scale. This is looked down upon in England. It's complex and I suspect that it goes back to the time of the Norman conquest where the nouveau riche spoke French. I'm not sure about this though.. The point is that the non assertive and indirect and overly polite 'pardon' and 'sorry' are frowned upon and even despised (in England)as an indirect threat to the proper order of things as they indicate a failed attempt to 'rise above your station'.[huh]

Miss RM

Familiar Face
[/quote]The point is that the non assertive and indirect and overly polite 'pardon' and 'sorry' are frowned upon and even despised (in England)as an indirect threat to the proper order of things as they indicate a failed attempt to 'rise above your station'.[huh][/QUOTE]

Wow, I guess I'm trying to 'rise above' my station, then! I was always taught that to say 'What?', instead of saying, 'Pardon me?' was the height of rudeness. This thread is getting a little silly, really. There are clear regional differences in what is considered polite and what is considered rude. It would do us all well to consider this!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Miss RM said:
This thread is getting a little silly, really. There are clear regional differences in what is considered polite and what is considered rude. It would do us all well to consider this!
Thank You, Missy! This thread was silly from the get out.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Viola said:
My mom would say 'From the git-go.' lol
Vi, your mom would be entirely correct. I'm really rusty on my Golden Era slang.:eek:

Plus, there's a Caribbean rum tasting involved...............[huh]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Lady Day said:
I find that amusing from the second highest poster in the thread ;)
But most of my posts were :eek:fftopic: As they usually are.:eek:

But, way to spin it, Lady.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR