Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
stephen1965 said:
I'm not an expert on this but I suppose that the upper class (U) can afford to be 'rude' or direct about what they say and what they want. [huh]

In the eyes of their U peers, maybe, but to The One watching above, they probably can't truly afford it, lest they don't care to rise to that station. ;)

stephen1965 said:
The point is that the non assertive and indirect and overly polite 'pardon' and 'sorry' are frowned upon and even despised (in England)as an indirect threat to the proper order of things as they indicate a failed attempt to 'rise above your station'.[huh]

It's a bit like piling peas on the back of a fork. The absolute dumbest attempt to copy "manners" that i've ever encountered. [huh]

bk

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Miss RM said:
Wow, I guess I'm trying to 'rise above' my station, then! I was always taught that to say 'What?', instead of saying, 'Pardon me?' was the height of rudeness. This thread is getting a little silly, really. There are clear regional differences in what is considered polite and what is considered rude. It would do us all well to consider this!
I've been trying to rise above my station too by being as rude as I like but with but without any malice:)

PrettySquareGal said:
In the eyes of their U peers, maybe, but to The One watching above...
I think I know what you're implying but I don't know what you mean...

BK said:
It's a bit like piling peas on the back of a fork. The absolute dumbest attempt to copy "manners" that i've ever encountered.
Yep, copying "manners" is foolish. This U and non-U stuff seems to have practical applications.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, never let it be said that I was untrue to my working-class roots. From now on, it's gonna be strictly "HAH? WHADJA SAY?" and "OUTTA MY WAY BUB, COMIN THRU!" and "HEY WYNCHA WATCH WHERE YA GOIN, BUM!" for me.

As an aside -- the only thing more pretentious than the middle class aspiring to "upper class manners" is the middle class pretending to be working class in some desperate attempt to appear "culturally authentic."

irb

Familiar Face
LizzieMaine said:
Well, never let it be said that I was untrue to my working-class roots. From now on, it's gonna be strictly "HAH? WHADJA SAY?" and "OUTTA MY WAY BUB, COMIN THRU!" and "HEY WYNCHA WATCH WHERE YA GOIN, BUM!" for me.

I'm also fond of, "ONE SIDE, FATHEADS!"

LizzieMaine said:
As an aside -- the only thing more pretentious than the middle class aspiring to "upper class manners" is the middle class pretending to be working class in some desperate attempt to appear "culturally authentic."

Ah. You've hit the nail on the head there. There's nothing glamorous or ennobling about being very poor--it just sucks. I wish I could explain that fact to the Kids These Days[tm].

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
Jamie Oliver. 'nuf said

bk
:eek:fftopic: Baron I think you live(d) somewhere in East London if I remember some of your posts correctly...I was recently given a 'Keep Hackney Crap' badge but I can't tell if it's authentic or not :eusa_doh: Should I a) Wear it at all times b) Only when doing my organic shopping in Broadway Market c) Keep it at home but for seriously ironic outings?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
irb said:
There's nothing glamorous or ennobling about being very poor--it just sucks. I wish I could explain that fact to the Kids These Days[tm].

"It's no shame to be poor, but it's no great honor, either."

Viola

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:

"MAKE A HOLE, MAKE A HOLE!"

It is somewhat satisfying to reply thusly when one is bumped, I imagine: "YO, I'M WALKIN' HERE!" Actually showing my delightful regional authenticity, all complaints are more satisfying prefixed with "yo!"

What about those of us aspiring to the middle class? Did we hock please and thank you for rent money or something?

Yes indeed. But east of the Lea Valley, i'm afraid, so not really London i guess. I can think of little more horrific than Hackney. Square glasses trying to de-crap Hackerknee.

stephen1965 said:
:eek:fftopic: Baron I think you live(d) somewhere in East London if I remember some of your posts correctly...I was recently given a 'Keep Hackney Crap' badge but I can't tell if it's authentic or not :eusa_doh: Should I a) Wear it at all times b) Only when doing my organic shopping in Broadway Market c) Keep it at home but for seriously ironic outings?

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
What about those of us aspiring to the middle class? Did we hock please and thank you for rent money or something?

lol I guess you could say 'sorry', 'please', thankyou' every sentence if you really want to be middle class. The coffee's more expensive though and all that middle class guilt won't allow you to enjoy it. In my experience it get's you a better paid teaching job in the classless society we apparently now enjoy... (in England that is , don't know if it's the same where you are)

irb

Familiar Face
Paisley said:
"It's no shame to be poor, but it's no great honor, either."

Entirely correct (I mention for completeness' sake; I certainly didn't intend to imply the former. And excellent reference, by the by).

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
So in summary, some people here get perturbed if "sorry" is used incorrectly or one doesn't cry enough when it's uttered from the ground with knees bent, begging for forgiveness. Others get upset if "undeserving" classes of people take on the manners of old money in an alleged attempt to pose a threat to the status quo class systems. What does any of this have to do with vintage living?

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
PrettySquareGal said:
So in summary, some people here get perturbed if "sorry" is used incorrectly or one doesn't cry enough when it's uttered from the ground with knees bent, begging for forgiveness. Others get upset if "undeserving" classes of people take on the manners of old money in an alleged attempt to pose a threat to the status quo class systems. What does any of this have to do with vintage living?

No entirely sure, but if anyone is going to pose a threat to the class system they would have to stop saying 'sorry' for being 'undeserving' and just get on with it.

Perhaps there's a connection in being very 'choosy' about what one wears or how one lives and the things one says.:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass