Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
stephen1965 said:
No entirely sure, but if anyone is going to pose a threat to the class system they would have to stop saying 'sorry' for being 'undeserving' and just get on with it.

Perhaps there's a connection in being very 'choosy' about what one wears or how one lives and the things one says.:)

But this thread isn't about how we can be more choosy in what we say when we apologize and wear for that occasion, but rather is more about tearing apart the perceived shortcomings of others. I think the premise is petty. [huh]

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
"No problem!"

My current linguistic pet peeve along the same lines of Lady Day's thread about "I'm sorry" is the use of the phrase "No problem!" in response to "Thank you."

When, exactly, did this come about? I know it's been around for years but lately it seems to have almost completely replaced "You're welcome." I'm not even sure what it's supposed to convey. Is it "My doing whatever it was did not constitute a problem or inconvenience for me"?

Oh, for the Golden Age when people knew the proper response to "Thank you!" :D

Regards,
Tom

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
PrettySquareGal said:
But this thread isn't about how we can be more choosy in what we say when we apologize and wear for that occasion, but rather is more about tearing apart the perceived shortcomings of others. I think the premise is petty. [huh]

Fair enough but I'm pretty choosy about not apologizing unless I really mean it in which case I might say 'I'm sorry'. I would not use the term 'Sorry' as a way of telling someone I couldn't hear/see/understand them. I wouldn't use 'pardon' but would use 'what?' or ask them to explain because to me that seems clearer and more assertive. Just trying to be practical about what I'm aiming to communicate while trying to wear the most practical clothing for whatever I aim to do. This often leads me to vintage clothing. Of course, like all part-time anarchists, I love to wear a vintage tweed when smashing the English class system. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I *despise* that phrase. Oh, gee, I'm so GLAD it wasn't a problem for you to DO YOUR JOB. I'd HATE to INCONVENIENCE you by attempting to transact business.

I've made it a written rule for theatre staff that "No Problem" is never, ever, under any circumstances whatsoever, to be used in response to any customer at any time. On pain of incurring a dreaded trip to the manager's office, where it will most certainly *be* a problem.

The only correct response to "Thank you" for our staff is "You're welcome, sir/ma'am, and enjoy the show."

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
alfc.gif

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
:eusa_doh:

are we really going to start having threads on each bit of language that might (or might not) be annoying to others?

gonna get really boring around here if all we can come up to talk about is other people

Sorry! :p

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
My current linguistic pet peeve along the same lines of Lady Day's thread about "I'm sorry" is the use of the phrase "No problem!" in response to "Thank you."

Here we use the lingua "No worries, mate!" [huh] just as hideous lol

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That seems close, but Sorry and No Problem aren't cliches. Based upon the posts in these two threads, I think that what we need is a thread called

"You're Not Being Polite in The Way That I Demand My Politeness"

or

"Act Accordingly - According to Me"

or

"Sorry Isn't Good Enough; Beg My Pardon"

:p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In all seriousness, though, the reason why it's obnoxious and inappropriate in a business setting is that it puts all the emphasis on the person who has provided the service that he is paid to provide. In the service sector, as I tell each new kid we hire, your job is to *serve* the needs of the customer. It is not about *your* comfort and convenience, it is about *their* comfort and convenience. "You're welcome" says to the customer, "I am glad to serve you." "No Problem" says to the customer "Hey, it's not like I was doing anything more important."

As I say, obnoxious and inappropriate in a business setting.

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
Ha, Lefty-you nailed it. To me "No problem" is a perfectly fine response, along the lines of "Just doing my job." "No problem, Excuse me, Don't mention it, Oooh, sorry," and even the dreaded "My bad!" are the politenesses commonly used today. To think that other people are "incorrect" by using them or daring to suggest a more proper response seems to me to be terribly snobby, and bordering on thought-policing.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Depends on the setting, I guess. I say "no problem" all the time but on the street is rather different than in an office.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Agreed.

I'd add that "my pleasure" is almost always too much. It's unlikely that my patronage is the bright spot in your day, and we don't need to pretend otherwise.

LizzieMaine said:
In all seriousness, though, the reason why it's obnoxious and inappropriate in a business setting is that it puts all the emphasis on the person who has provided the service that he is paid to provide. In the service sector, as I tell each new kid we hire, your job is to *serve* the needs of the customer. It is not about *your* comfort and convenience, it is about *their* comfort and convenience. "You're welcome" says to the customer, "I am glad to serve you." "No Problem" says to the customer "Hey, it's not like I was doing anything more important."

As I say, obnoxious and inappropriate in a business setting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats