Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Lotta Little said:
Also, I am totally in the wrong thread! Sorry, need coffee.

...missed morning java too, and walked past the Art Institute today,
and two blocks down Michigan Avenue had to turn around. :eusa_doh:

Like Salinger's Catcher in the Rye? :) :coffee:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
"Woo Hoo!" -- The Lamest of Expressions

In honor of Lady Day and her amusing peeve, I'll follow Tango Yankee's lead and offer up my own linguistic peeve for sacrifice. To wit:

"WOO HOO!"

It looks idiotic. It sounds idiotic. It is idiotic. It makes people who say it seem really, really dorky. Why won't this miserable exclamation just die?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Lefty said:
That seems close, but Sorry and No Problem aren't cliches. Based upon the posts in these two threads, I think that what we need is a thread called

"You're Not Being Polite in The Way That I Demand My Politeness"

or

"Act Accordingly - According to Me"

or

"Sorry Isn't Good Enough; Beg My Pardon"

:p

Three quips of the day, and by the same Lounger! A record! :eusa_clap

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
2vimejs.jpg

rumblefish

One Too Many
I like when common expressions get miss-said like; I could care less...:rolleyes: :eusa_doh: Huh??? I don't know how many times I've tried to explain to some one who uses this phrase (this way), that they've said absolutely nothing.:p

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I say "whoo" especially over the internet ...
"I just got accepted to harvard!"
"whoo!, good for you!"

It's like a whoop for me, Like at a ball game "whoo!!!" and a loud whistle [huh]

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Your point has me thinking there aren't many vulgarity-free expletives for excitement. "Yee Haw" and "Yippee!" don't seem much better. Someone will probably cringe at "Groooovvvvvineesssss" and "YippaYippaYippaMcCOY!" (OK, so I just made that one up), and no one can really do "YESsssssss! without shades of either Napoleon Dynamite or Marv Albert.

Maybe it's time to bring back "Dyn-O-Mite!"

I'll have to test it out and go find something exciting right now.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here is the place to pose those everyday utterances of speech that you take offense to for whatever reason.

Also, if the merge is somewhat awkward when we mash three threads together, it''s a good reminder to quote someone when you respond to them so that, should the thread be merged, your response still makes sense.
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart