Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab

Yes, yes, we all know that language is continually evolving and those of us who grew up with certain phrases don't always take well to what may replace them. We also know that along with those who bemoan the changes there will be those taking shots at them because they're not instantly accepting of all changes. It has always been thus.

The primary issue I have with the use of "No problem" as a substitute for "You're welcome" is one others have referred to. To me the subtext is "No problem... this time." or "You're lucky I was in the mood to do it." At what point, exactly, does asking someone for a favor or asking someone to do their job become an actual problem?

The times I tend to use "No problem" is when something could have been perceived as a problem such as getting jostled/bumped into and the other person apologizes ("Excuse me!" "No problem.") or other situations where you might say "That's OK" or something along those lines.

I've never heard the phrase "Good looking out" and not sure I would have understood it unless the context was clear.

While we're on the subject of peeves, "PIN number" or "ATM machine" equal "Personal Identification Number Number" and "Automated Teller Machine machine." lol

Mr. Godfrey, thanks for the link! It's hilarious! lol

Whoops! The thread merged while I was typing the above post!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Woo-Hoo is merely a cheap and shabby knockoff of "Woo Woo," a fine Golden Era exclamation made famous by such diverse personalities as Hugh Herbert, Etta Candy, and Daffy Duck. As usual, modern pop culture can come up with nothing new or non-derivative.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
after spending approximately 15 years skateboarding i am guilty of using, and doing my best to stop, the inappropriate use of the word....

....DUDE!

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I absolutely despise being referred to as "Chief" or "Big Guy"... I am not of American Indian descent, and although I am on the chubby side, I don't believe it warrants "Big Guy"...:mad:

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
JohnnyGringo said:
I absolutely despise being referred to as "Chief" or "Big Guy"... I am not of American Indian descent, and although I am on the chubby side, I don't believe it warrants "Big Guy"...:mad:

I hate being called "Boss." I work with a man who is a former inmate (hell of a nice guy, though) and he calls me that all the time. We're coworkers, and I am not a prison guard!

Lee

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Dixon Cannon said:

What?...next we'll be saying "Oi!" and grimacing like Jacko?!

-dixon cannon

lol What's wrong with Oi!? Where I come from it's said all the time (mostly by working people). I think it has a Jewish origin and came to London via Jewish immigration.
Who's Jacko? (really I don't know):)

'Innit'? - Means: 'Isn't that so' and is often used in conjunction with 'Know what I mean'(pronounce knaw't I mean). Often sentences will begin 'Innit, knaw't I mean' to which the appropriate response should be 'No' but is often more likely to be 'Hmm'.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
As long as we're griping about dialect, will somebody PLEASE tell all the TV/weather bozos that there is no such genuine New England phrase as "nor'easter?" All the old salts I have ever known -- and I've spent my whole life in prime Old Salt territory, and am a native speaker of the dialect --have without fail pronounced it "No'theastah." All attempts I've ever seen at justifying the phony pronounciation are pure bogosity. Nobody around here ever heard it before about 1978.

Saying "Nor'easter" is like going down South and saying "Youse All."

Yaaarrrrr … Mehearties.

nor'easter is, to be fair, a British sailor's term. Where i grew up there were a lot of fishing vessels, and may of these men used the word nor'easter and others like that. Nor'easter is of a very colloquial Norther English way of saying/pronouncing notheastern/northeastward.

bk

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was at a party the other night, where one old friend brought her daughter along. The daughter was just in from a well-known upper-crusty, top-drawer eastern university. She was just in for the weekend for a family event. I've know them for years, and she didn't speak like this before going away to college.

She was talking about a conversation with a friend, and each quote was preceded with "So she's like..." and "So I'm like..." and "So she's like..." After about 20 volleys of rapid-fire quotes back and forth of that type :rage: , I headed for a fresh martini and more hors d'ouevres before my eardrums exploded.

Her mother caught up with me a little later, and we were chatting. In quoting someone else, she launches in with, "So at lunch last week, Betty was like..." :eusa_doh: I said, "Nip it in the bud right now. Betty wasn't like, Betty said, Betty stated, Betty launched in with, but Betty is never like." "Oh no, I didn't, did I? It's rather infectious." "As with all infections, medicate, innoculate, vaccinate, whatever it takes to kill it in its tracks. There's nothing sadder than a 50-something respected businesswoman sounding like a pre-teen Paris Hilton wannabe."

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Irregardless of our little proper english foibles language evolves even though we all hoped it would evolve to a more consistent and uniform language and yes higher level but we all know water and laziness seeks it's own level. There is a movement afoot to eliminate the standard dictionary and replace it with phonetics. Esperanto anyone? When I typed in irregardless spell check just rolled over and accepted it and when I just misspelled it spell check corrected me!

spelling correction, Thanks Marc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart