Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
NY_Confidential said:
It's kind of generally expected that 20 people will bump into you on the sidewalk in Manhattan...

That's why I love Manhattanites - They're so slick and urbane, its heartwarming lol

Feraud

Bartender
NY_Confidential said:
In New York, I generally don't think we say anything to someone we bump into. It's kind of generally expected that 20 people will bump into you on the sidewalk in Manhattan -- there's just too many people!
Actually the city is not that crowded.
A quick round of "excuse me" should be expected from both parties in most instances of people bumping into each other. Doing so may be the difference between going on your way and this tragic alternative.

Cigarband

A-List Customer
NY_Confidential said:
In New York, I generally don't think we say anything to someone we bump into. It's kind of generally expected that 20 people will bump into you on the sidewalk in Manhattan -- there's just too many people!

I have read that you could take the Earth's entire population,
put them in an area the size of Texas and the population density would still be lower than Manhattan.:eek:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
"Nucular" is totally annoying. Speaking of mangled words, I recently attended an introductory sociology lecture with a friend in the course. One of the first things the professor mentioned was the pronunciation: NOT "soshiology."

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
Ad words that no one uses in real life. "Zesty" comes immediately to mind.

I heard the word used just last week at the diner table by a 60ish British author to describe his beautiful 20ish Latina girlfriend. And she was.......:)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
I heard the word used just last week at the diner table by a 60ish British author to describe his beautiful 20ish Latina girlfriend. And she was.......:)

Maybe she gets it from Zest soap? lol That's what I think of when I hear the word.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There is no current phrase that makes me want to strike the speaker a sharp and decisive blow across the back of the head with a kitchen chair more than "Tasked With," as in "Joe was tasked with a job." Joe was *assigned* a job. Now do it, before I whack you with a kitchen chair.

(And yes, I'm well aware that this usage can be found in 14th Century British literature. I don't care if you're wearing a doublet and a ruff, I'll still want to crack you across the cranium with a kitchen chair.)

TallulahDahling

New in Town
"LIKE"

So I like called my boyfriend and he was all like why are you calling? And I was like, why are you asking me that and he said like I gotta go get my hair cut and I like said, "Whatever!" :rage:

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
The one that makes my blood boil: "get my blank on"! I'm going to the bar and get my drink on. I'm going to the club to get my dance on.

MsStabby

One of the Regulars
The passive past tense, i.e., "I was remembering..." What happened to the assertive present tense, i.e. "I remember..."?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace