Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art of Shaving

P

Paul

Shaving and Razors

I have noticed that in the last few years that shops are stocking more and more razors especially for ladies this is not a new market. This begs the question what did ladies use in the 40's or 50 's and later to shave the legs, did they just have the same type as the men use or were they also ladies ones?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I have seen many vintage ladies' razors from the 1950s and 1960s. Earlier than that, I'm not sure. My husband has a large collection of 1920s through 1940s safety razors, and some of them are quite "pretty" with filigree or celluloid handles, etc.

My grandmother always said she just used my grandfather's razors. I'm not sure if there was something specifically geared toward women at that point or not, but I would guess that there probably was.

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
I have an old safety razor called a Curve-Fit, I think that is the way it is spelled, that looks to be made for the lady in my collection of vintage razors. The head is curved so I am thinking it may be made for underarm shaving.

I am in the process of moving and will post a photo when we get everything unpacked and organized.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The first razor marketed specifically to women was the "Curvfit," which came on the scene in the '20s, and lingered on at least into the '50s --

bs0231.jpg

As you can guess from the shape, it was speficially designed for underarms, but presumably was used on legs too.

Many women waxed at home -- "Zip" brand wax, in a big yellow block, was widely advertised even before World War 1, with the slogan "It's OFF because it's OUT." I have used this stuff -- you can still get it in most drugstores -- and it's a rather painfully retro experience.

The little electric shavers started to come out in the late '40s/early '50s. I first used my mother's Lady Sunbeam when I started shaving -- she'd gotten it for a birthday present back around 1955 or so. They're elegant little gadgets that come in a lot of cute designs, and make for a neat collectible nowadays.

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
The first razor marketed specifically to women was the "Curvfit," which came on the scene in the '20s, and lingered on at least into the '50s --

bs0231.jpg

As you can guess from the shape, it was speficially designed for underarms, but presumably was used on legs too.

Many women waxed at home -- "Zip" brand wax, in a big yellow block, was widely advertised even before World War 1, with the slogan "It's OFF because it's OUT." I have used this stuff -- you can still get it in most drugstores -- and it's a rather painfully retro experience.

The little electric shavers started to come out in the late '40s/early '50s. I first used my mother's Lady Sunbeam when I started shaving -- she'd gotten it for a birthday present back around 1955 or so. They're elegant little gadgets that come in a lot of cute designs, and make for a neat collectible nowadays.

That is the one I was typing about. I saw it on eBay and thought my fiance would get a kick out of it. Strangely though, she does not seem to want to use it. :)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
*a bit of background...*
Women didn't start shaving their underarms and legs until more recent history, around WWI. Previously, shaved legs especially meant you were a prositute, and shaved armpits caught on only after different advertising campaigns showing women in evening dress with shaved armpits- and silent film stars stared showing up sans pit hair.

Caledonia

Practically Family
I didn't know that Lauren, thanks! You get so used nowadays to sans hair you don't think about it. I've seen a few waxing ads in my magazines. Was sugaring popular I wonder? And having seen those lovely razors, now I have another gorgeous accoutrement to search out (and pay for!).

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
Caledonia said:
I didn't know that Lauren, thanks! You get so used nowadays to sans hair you don't think about it. I've seen a few waxing ads in my magazines. Was sugaring popular I wonder? And having seen those lovely razors, now I have another gorgeous accoutrement to search out (and pay for!).
There are a few on eBay now between $7.95 and $20.00.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My husband shaves with cake soap and his vintage razors. I've thought about trying it, as not only is it much less costly than modern canned shave cream/gel and expensive blades for modern razors (like the Venus or the Mach III), but he also says he gets a better shave and doesn't cut or nick himself. He has a shea butter shave soap scented with lavender that I suspect would be ideal for legs. I'm still too chicken to try it, though! lol

P

Paul

Thanks all for clearing up my question.
I am sorry Caledonia if it's ended with you spending your money but they do look cute!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
My grandmother never shaved. She was born around 1920. She had blond hair, and rather sparse, which she said was because she didn't shave. She insisted that my dark haired mom not shave--which didn't work, my mom had to beg to be allowed to shave.

I imagine that before specialty razors that the aforementioned prostitutes shaved with straight razors or men's safety razors if they didn't wax.

I think that it is interesting that almost all 20th century "beauty" is inspired by women emulating prostitutes.

Makeup, shaving, abbreviated undergarments, short skirts, bared chests to name a few. And we wonder why some girls and women today look like prostitutes.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Why else, to catch a good husband of course! You can look naughty but only BE naughty with him ;)

Women dress as how they think men want to see them. It wasnt until later that I beleive women caught onto this and BANG, feminist movement!

I know thats a super condensed , freze dried explanation, but one none the less :)

LD

Last edited:

Trickeration

Practically Family
I'm coming in late on this, but here's the razor I just bought. When I saw how tiny it was, I just had to get one. It does work well, but the newer blades don't seem to be as sharp as the older ones. And I don't care for the shape of the case. I'd guess that by the picture on the box, this one is from the late 30's.
pict3213pt0.jpg

pict3212pk1.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
My grandmother used to light newspapers on fire and run it along her leg to burn the hair off! I know they were pretty poor, 12 kids, so I guess she couldn't afford razors- not sure why? But my Mom remembers her doing it when she was little.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo