Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Attire of NBC's Hannibal

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Gentlemen,

I was wondering if anyone else here has become a viewer of NBC's Hannibal, and if so, what he/she makes of the clothing choices for Hannibal Lecter. The costume designer has made several interesting choices in dressing the characters, choosing monochromatic palettes for the majority of the cast while dressing Lecter in outfits that look like they've been lifted from the advertisements at the front of an issue of GQ. Of particular note are Lecter's alternating Boardwalk Empire/candy-colored clown suits, coupled with the choke-a-camel windsor knots they've insisted on putting him in. Examples:

Hannibal_starring_Hugh_Dancy__Mads_Mikkelsen_and_Laurence_Fishburne_to_air_on_Sky_Living_in_the_UK.jpg

tumblr_miy9hmySo31r7fh6do1_1280.png

Any comments? A European gentleman on another forum commented that giant windsor knots are something of a contemporary fashion trend among the haute couture of Europe, so I'm wondering if the costumer is taking that as an influence, owing to the character's European heritage. Then, I can't imagine Thomas Harris' character dressing so ... garishly. With the literary Lecter having been apprehended sometime in the 70s, it'd be like having a flashback in Silence of the Lambs with Anthony Hopkins in bell bottoms and a love medallion.

tweed junkie

New in Town
I like the way Hannibal dresses. The spread collar shirts he wears requires a larger knot, although some of his knots are a little too large.

His manner of dress is meant to separate himself from everyone else. The peaked lapel 3 piece suit represents a throwback to movies from the 30's when vests and peaked lapels were more common. His suits, clearly not available from JC Penney, also show that he took great care in purchasing his clothes from expensive places that most people don't shop.

In contrast, Will in his jeans, sweaters, and sportcoats is meant to be the business casual everyman that shops at the mall and people can identify with.

Ironically, I found your post trying to figure out the brand of suit Hannibal's character is wearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic