Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Beefsteak Party: Meat for Meat's Sake

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
This Wednesday's New York Times reflected on the uniquely New York, and classically male, rite once known as the beefsteak party, beefsteak dinner, or simply the beefsteak. This was the good-natured feeding frenzy immortalized by Joseph Mitchell in The New Yorker in 1939 and later included in his fascinating anthology, Up in the Old Hotel.

In its heyday in the 19teens, a good beefsteak comprised the following ingredients:
-1 political, fraternal, or other club
-Lots of shell strip steaks, lamb chops, ground sirloin trimmin's, and bacon-wrapped kidneys, all broiled in an iron box cooker
-Sufficient beer, and then some, to wash down same, served in half-gallon growlers
-Butchers' aprons and caps to protect the celebrants, and brown butcher paper to protect the general surroundings
-Absolutely no tableware, dishware, glassware, napkins, side dishes - or, ideally, tables, chairs, or ladies

The Times points out that the beefsteak tradition disappeared from New York City as machine politics and community organizations began to lose their importance. Today it is strictly limited to North Jersey and to workingclass culture such as union locals.

The Big Apple, a NY pop culture blog, has more on the beefsteak phenomenon, but states categorically that it has "died out." Perhaps in the city. But once upon a time all walks of life were involved, such as these Wall Street traders gathered at the relatively refined precincts of Keen's Chophouse in 1938. (Look, they've got tablecloths, knives, forks...)

03beef600.1.jpg

What a way to eat meat, though. James Lileks would doubtless approve, as would Kreuz's and Smitty's, the BBQ minimalists of Texas.

If I could, I'd throw the entire Lounge a beefsteak. Gals, guys, Dems, Pubs, whoever - all you'd need bring is your appetite and your second-best duds, plus lots of stories, songs and laughter.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Very interesting, Fletch!

I've seen family photos of my grandfathers, one a New Yorker the other a Chicagoan, in attendance at what looks to be similar events. Though I've never heard the moniker.

Also, thanks for making my dinner plans for this evening so easy. ;)

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Fine. Fletch gets with the 'beefsteak' story and Tomasso finishes me off with the Smith and Wolensky link. Great. Just great.

"Honey, we're headin' to Mortons..."

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
More intel about the Jersey affairs:

- They are apparently not just predominantly male, but "all white". (Warning: animal rightist sneer penned by the author of an essay titled "The Immorality of Eating Meat." Includes the phrase gluttonous sexist beefsteak food orgy.)

- There is a competitive aspect to the modern rite. Meat is served on bread slices, which are stacked neatly in front of the eater, either to signify how much meat has been eaten or how little bread has.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Beacon, a midtown power-lunch restaurant, holds the last public beefsteak party in NYC. This year it's Feb. 5, but it's $115 a chair and space is supposedly gone very early.

(They ought to get rid of the chairs.)

Philadelphia, especially South Philly, has affairs known as "beef and beers," mostly for charitable causes. There, however, the term seems to apply to any informal feed where cow and suds are available.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Fletch, I read the article from the link. A quote from the second sentence "men sit shoulder to shoulder at long tables and gorge themselves on beefsteak soaked in a blood and butter sauce.":eusa_clap made me hungry. Is this Wrong? [huh]

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rumblefish said:
Fletch, I read the article from the link. A quote from the second sentence "men sit shoulder to shoulder at long tables and gorge themselves on beefsteak soaked in a blood and butter sauce.":eusa_clap made me hungry. Is this Wrong? [huh]

If it's wrong, I don't wanna be right.

As for the animal ethics commentary... :rolleyes:

The oh-so sensitive idiot uses a picture from '39 to pronounce the affairs as "all-white" when such is not mentioned in the article. Given the societal context of the photo, what is almost certainly a "membership only" men's group, prior to WWII, quite possibly only involving local members from segregated neighborhoods, to use that one out of context photo to criticize a beefsteak as a modern activity is just childish.

Even moreso is the critic's claim that they are "men only" events when the article clearly states that womens presence has been controversial since the '20s (such can only be controversial if women did attend at times) and when the modern promoters state that men often feel uncomfortable being self-described gluttons (yet another criticism addressed in TFA) around women, again, that can only happen if they are, in fact, attending.

Same old "I superciliously disapprove so I will use invalid argument techniques and outright falsehoods and misrepresentations to evoke an emotional response" claptrap so common among those who would nanny us for "our own good". :mad:

Leave people the hell alone do-gooders.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
This Wednesday's New York Times reflected on the uniquely New York, and classically male, rite once known as the beefsteak party, beefsteak dinner, or simply the beefsteak. This was the good-natured feeding frenzy immortalized by Joseph Mitchell in The New Yorker in 1939 and later included in his fascinating anthology, Up in the Old Hotel.

In its heyday in the 19teens, a good beefsteak comprised the following ingredients:
-1 political, fraternal, or other club
-Lots of shell strip steaks, lamb chops, ground sirloin trimmin's, and bacon-wrapped kidneys, all broiled in an iron box cooker
-Sufficient beer, and then some, to wash down same, served in half-gallon growlers
-Butchers' aprons and caps to protect the celebrants, and brown butcher paper to protect the general surroundings
-Absolutely no tableware, dishware, glassware, napkins, side dishes - or, ideally, tables, chairs, or ladies

The Times points out that the beefsteak tradition disappeared from New York City as machine politics and community organizations began to lose their importance. Today it is strictly limited to North Jersey and to workingclass culture such as union locals.

The Big Apple, a NY pop culture blog, has more on the beefsteak phenomenon, but states categorically that it has "died out." Perhaps in the city. But once upon a time all walks of life were involved, such as these Wall Street traders gathered at the relatively refined precincts of Keen's Chophouse in 1938. (Look, they've got tablecloths, knives, forks...)

03beef600.1.jpg

What a way to eat meat, though. James Lileks would doubtless approve, as would Kreuz's and Smitty's, the BBQ minimalists of Texas.

If I could, I'd throw the entire Lounge a beefsteak. Gals, guys, Dems, Pubs, whoever - all you'd need bring is your appetite and your second-best duds, plus lots of stories, songs and laughter.

I'm vegetarian but, jeeze and heck, I'd come... but I'd also bring a bib.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jake_fink said:
I'm vegetarian but, jeeze and heck, I'd come... but I'd also bring a bib.

I'd supply the bib and steam the heck out of a nice vegetable medley for ya. :eusa_clap

It's about the camaraderie in the end.

tonyper

Familiar Face
Beef..........

I too read the Times article. Yes indeed the NY Metro area is the only place that these events occur. We here in NJ have Beefsteaks frequently. They are usually put on by politicians, fire and police depts, Elks and those kinds of organizations. It is an experience to attend them as you can really see Gluttony at it's best. Massive quanities of food and beer consumed at a rate unheard of in most parts of the world. The bread slices either get piled up in the center of the table or stacked into various designs. The meat is the most tender beef one has ever consumed dripping with butter, A real Heart Attack waiting to happen.

Regards Tony

Staredge

One of the Regulars
carebear said:
I'd supply the bib and steam the heck out of a nice vegetable medley for ya. :eusa_clap

It's about the camaraderie in the end.
Steam 'em???? :eusa_doh: NO!!!! :rage: Grill them!!!!!!!! :eusa_clap

(We can haul in a vegetarian grill, if need be. All in the name of solidarity)

Will

Gone but not forgotten?

I'd say that the Beefsteak probably subblimated into other events in a way, because the Steak House (or Steak Joint as some folks might say) is still a great tradition and the Steak dinner with friends, family and co-workers takes on special meanings.

Also for some the idea of the Steak on the Grill / Barbie / the great Steak BBQ is celebrated across this nation and others, where fine cuts of beef meet a fiery end to be consumed with adult beverages of choice and side dishes as directed by circumstance.

It is one of the great pleasures out in Southern California that the weather permits outdoor grilling year round for the most part. And a quick nod to the Weber company for some great BBQ machines.

PORTERHOUSE ANYONE? MAKE MINE RARE WITH A CHAR!

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
You would think that meat would have it's own blood to bring to the table, and not need the "blood and butter sauce". :eusa_doh:

I learn something new every day.

Should I contact the author of that article for the recipe, I wonder?lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda