Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Best Excuse for a New Wardrobe

Lenore

Practically Family
I got a new job!!!!!!

Big jump for me from being the Receptionist/Admin for one company that isn't really doing very big business and I just mainly have to look pretty to being the office manager and liaison for a new company that really brings in the lettuce. :D

With new job, I'll need a new wardrobe. Now I just have to look pretty, soon I'll have to look capable.

New wardrobe is needed quick! On the plus side, small office and I won't be needing to entertain clients too frequently in the begininng. Gives me a little time to snoop and build up. Looking through the interwebs, I noticed that Newport News has a bunch of cute tweedy pants and pencil skirts. Anybody know about the quality? It would be nice to get some more foundation pieces.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I've had items from Newport News. They're not the best quality, I mean, not like something you'll get at Nordstrom, but they're OK. For the price, however, they are a good quality and a nice deal for your money.

congrats on the new job!

Lenore

Practically Family
Thanks! Really I'm just looking for something for the interim. Something that will look nice, be professional, and last me at least until my first review/raise. Once I start making more, I'll start bringing in new better quality pieces and donating the old stuff.

Just a tiny bit desperate to get this show on the road. I put my notice in on Monday.. it'll be so hard to sit here with my mind on the other job. Heck, it already is! I'm just excited that I'm able to move up and out from behind the phone where I've been for almost a decade. It's nice to know that someone thinks I have the potential to be more than just a voice and a pretty face.

Miss Bunny

New in Town
Congratulations on the new job! :eusa_clap

Newport News has some cute stuff, I've bought from them before as well. As Kitty said, it's not superior quality merchandise but it would definitely get you started. I like their pencil skirts especially!

When I first started my job I had to change my wardrobe in two days time, as my previous employer was closing shop and I found a new job right away. I was really in a pinch so I hit my local consignment shops and found some cute suits that did the trick on my limited budget and I built my wardrobe up over time. Just another idea, if that helps.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
My favorite work clothes place.....although not necessarily all vintage inspired is Ann Taylor Loft.

I have had things last years and years with very little wear. Definitely worth going to and looking at.

and congrats!

Lenore

Practically Family
Ooh, yay Ann Taylor Loft. All the skirts are way too short, but look what I found...

ATTstrap.jpg

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Do you mind the idea of wearing vintage/vintage inspired to work? In retail management, I had to look utterly capable, and found that simple - not flashy - well cut 1940's suits convey that to perfection. People don't know enough to know they are vintage, and you can use the pieces in other combinations for your fun real life outside of work. For a more modern look, a very crisp 40's suit jacket with slacks is great.

How about a combination of something like this? (Not in quite these colors together, but you get the idea.)

Maybe it is just me, but I have a hard time putting money into clothes that are just for a specific purpose and can't be used in the rest of my life, and an even harder time if the pieces aren't great quality, and you know you'll just end up donating them.

Pencil skirts haven't changed much in 50+ years, except for the metal zipper and varying length of the kickpleat (or lack of, due to stretch) ... it would be easy to find them in the $25-$30 range, and get nice, lined ones made of wool, instead of a catalog ordered poly blend.

Lenore

Practically Family
pdxvintagette said:
Do you mind the idea of wearing vintage/vintage inspired to work?

Vintage/Vintage Inspired is most definitely what I am looking for. I would not be comfortable in more modern clothing. (note: Ann Taylor's pencil skirts are FAR too short) Why I brought up Newport News is the length of their skirts plus their pricing.

Ann Taylor
ATskirt.jpg

Newport
stretchpencil.jpg

As much as I hate the idea of buying disposable clothing, I don't think I have much other option right now. I don't use credit cards, and my clothing piggy bank couldn't afford a new wardrobe of very nice right now. My closet now is full of fantastic things, but not suitable to the new position. Subsequently, I'm running for quantity over quality right now. As this seems to be a very promising move, I'll be happy to switch out later, and donate the used items to Purple Heart.

Some of the other goodies I saw at NN:

brownplaid.jpg

HighWaistPants.jpg

GreyTweedSkirt.jpg

Minus the flower, of course.
GlenPlaid.jpg

Greytweedpants.jpg

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Lenore!

I am so excited for you! Congratulations on the position and most especially the recognition of your abilities!

I love the pants with the tie waist.
Have you checked out any consignment shops? I know somebody in local school system administration who has to look professional. She's a regular at a local consignment and picks up last years Ralph Lauren and the like at phenomenal prices. The shop owner knows her size/taste and when a certain client or two clean closets, she contacts my friend. Might be worth a look see.

Foofoogal

Banned
Congratulations on your moving on up.:) :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I love the black and white skirt with the flower and the white pants with the tie.
Perfectly ok to buy a few pieces and then maybe add one really great piece a month or so.
Definitely check with consignment shops or even online.
So many things are like new as many women gain weight or just don't like stuff after they purchase it.
Start with basics you can mix and match.
Never skimp on shoes. A good pair of leather shoes are worth 5 pairs of cheap ones.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Talbots is good, too--I've had clothes from there last through literally hundreds of washings. Not cheap, but good quality. I don't like their shoes, though.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yay Lenore! Congratulations!!!!

I also got a new day job, and I am so relieved - but I don't get to buy a new wardrobe. I am working with my husband as the office manager of the electric vehicle company he is COO of. Sorry fr the grammar... The challenge there is not freezing to death in the warehouse...so it's all about the layers.

Don't forget thrift stores and consignment stores - go to an upscale town and go to their Goodwill, you will find wonderful modern clothes. And maybe even some vintage!

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
I just got a cardigan and pintucked sweater top from Victoria's Secret which both look great. The cardigan would be great for work and has a nice fitted fit. I bought a beautiful red color that I don't see here, but is in their latest catalog.

This pintucked one is in the clearance section.

V289219.jpg

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
Congratulations! I have just the same thing, I need clothes for my new job in a college - not too smart, but just smart enough. Good luck on the hunt!

xx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy