Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bijou is opening again!

jdjs

Familiar Face
After bouncing around a few sites, I came across some fantastic news . . .

Back in the '80s, one of the best shows on PBS was "Matinee at the Bijou." Hosted by Scott Devinney, the show featured a classic B movie, serial, short subject and classic cartoon (and I have to admit, many things I had never even heard of). The series was great, but only ran a few seasons.

Out of the blue, PBS has announced that they are reviving the series. Still keeping the format, there are a handful of changes:
- Debbie Reynolds is hosting
- they promise a mix of public domain and right protected film, including many from private collections
- and best of all, in restored HIGH DEFINITION!

As an animation fanatic, I was interested to see what hints would be there and was not disappointed - Fleischer Superman and Betty Boop, all restored.

Dates are still tentative (they still need to finalize funding) but for classic movie buffs looking for the rare and different, it's great news.

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
That's great news! I remember this from when it was on before. What a great way to spend the afternoon.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Swell...And I thought '30s nostalgia had long ago become a poorly lit corner of '70s nostalgia.

Was any real theater ever called the Bijou? Wasn't it one of those "generic" names, like Rover or John Doe?

jdjs

Familiar Face
Fletch said:
Swell...And I thought '30s nostalgia had long ago become a poorly lit corner of '70s nostalgia.

Was any real theater ever called the Bijou? Wasn't it one of those "generic" names, like Rover or John Doe?

In doing a little information research (aka the Cinema Treasures website), I found 63 historical listings, with the oldest being in Brooklyn (26 Smith Street). Specifically

"The Bijou first opened in November, 1893, as a playhouse under the direction of H.C. Kennedy. Due to its convenient location in downtown Broooklyn, the Bijou proved an instant success and soon became one of the most profitable theatres in the entire USA. When the ailing Kennedy retired in 1900, he sold the Bijou to Hyde & Behman, which operated it for a time and then leased to the Spooner Repertory Company. In 1908, Marcus Loew, encouraged by his success of his first Brooklyn theatre, the Royal, took over the Bijou and converted it to movies with vaudeville.

The Royal and Bijou becoame second-run situations after Loew built the much larger and grander Metropolitan in the same area. Loew's Bijou operated into the 1920s, when Loew's replaced it by taking over the better equipped Keeney's Theatre and re-naming it the Melba."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot