Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The birth of the ranch house.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Martinis at 8 said:
Here's a real ranch house from a real ranch. From recent Saltillo, MEX trip. Rode my motorcycle there from Houston.

CIMG1619.jpg

I'd like to see how the floorplan was laid out on that house Martini's. I'm guessing that there was probably an outside courtyard in the middle of the house, sort of like a square/rectangle design. There was a similar house like that for sale in Castro Valley, CA I looked at a couple months ago; adobe structure, built in 1952 on a 3/4 acre lot. But it was about $250,000 above my budget.:(

Viola

Call Me a Cab
PrettySquareGal said:
The kitchen:

kitchenh.jpg

Do the cabinets look like Maple? Also, do these cabinets look 50's, or 60's? The ranch was built in 1950 but I am unsure if these are original. Once I'm moved in I will take pictures- this is from the MLS. The linoleum looks very 60's to me- it's a yellow pebbled look.

That looks like the linoleum that used to be in my parents' house (which didn't flatter a house built in 1915 much) and it was one of, like, four layers of linoleum! Over hardwood! The whole thing was like an archeological dig in the kitchen.

I rather like real linoleum (not vinyl sheet) and it comes in some great colours and its supposedly very environementally sustainable. I'm thinking I may do that in some kitchen eventually. I dunno though: gotta tell my guy "green linoleum" and I don't see the mental image being his thing.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
That looks like the linoleum that used to be in my parents' house (which didn't flatter a house built in 1915 much) and it was one of, like, four layers of linoleum! Over hardwood! The whole thing was like an archeological dig in the kitchen.

I rather like real linoleum (not vinyl sheet) and it comes in some great colours and its supposedly very environementally sustainable. I'm thinking I may do that in some kitchen eventually. I dunno though: gotta tell my guy "green linoleum" and I don't see the mental image being his thing.

Thanks. A reason why many people place linoleum over another layer is because before the 1980's it is almost certain to either contain asbestos in the flooring and/or in the glue backing! We want to replace ours but will have it tested first.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Lincsong said:
I've seen those cabinets in both 1950s and 1960s homes. I would guess those are original. The linoleum looks late 60s-early 70s. Obviously the oven in recent.

Thanks. The cabinets are very high quality and solid unlike the veneer you find in most today. I adore them! The linoleum not so much but it's not too dreadful for now.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Lincsong said:
I'd like to see how the floorplan was laid out on that house Martini's. I'm guessing that there was probably an outside courtyard in the middle of the house, sort of like a square/rectangle design. There was a similar house like that for sale in Castro Valley, CA I looked at a couple months ago; adobe structure, built in 1952 on a 3/4 acre lot. But it was about $250,000 above my budget.:(

Nope this one did not have an interior courtyard. It is now a B&B just at the edge of Saltillo. The city actually grew towards the ranch. The original family still owns the property. Next to the main house are what look to be old stables or worker quarters. These are now also rooms as shown below.

CIMG1808.jpg

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
PrettySquareGal - Congratulations on your 50s ranch! Honestly I think the kitchen looks pretty original, except for some of the appliances. Lucky you!!! Very cool. People often see the wood cabinets and tend to think 1970s, but honestly I've seen loads of pictures of bare wood cabinets in homes starting with the early 1950s. The hardware looks original as well. Wood cabinets were quite popular in the 1950s. You might visit www.retrorenovation.com - it is a site dedicated to 1950s ranch homes. There are tons of original kitchen photos there, and you can get lots of great ideas, as well as understanding if items in your home are original or more modern.

TM

A-List Customer
27238562.JPG

I understand that Alan Hess' book "The Ranch House" is being remaindered at Barnes & Noble. Out of stock in many stores, but you can search on their website to find a store that stocks it.

Tony

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I love the original large plate glass window in my house. One of the things that sold me on the house was standing inside, looking out, thinking about the people who had looked out of that window before me going back to 1950, and the kinds of things they may have seen. Maybe Leave it to Beaver was on the TV in the background and kids rode by in their bicycles outside. Well, that'll be the case again soon. :) I know it's not good for insulation but I have insulating curtains I'll be using to keep out the elements and 2009. lol

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:
I was looking for a tudor or a bungalow, but I'm really happy with our home. I love the layout, it is very comfortable, and since I'm really into 1950s decor and styles, the fit is perfect. We are the third owners. Our home was lightly remodeled by the second owners, plantation shutters added throughout, the original boomerang formica counters replaced with solid granite slab, new appliances, and new flooring installed throughout. I drool over my neighbor's original countertops! But, our home does retain many of the original features - laminate cabinets with black/chrome pulls, original tiled bathrooms (one blue, one apricot), NuTone radio/intercom system, and a few other things. We are in the process right now of redecorating everything to be more "original" to the house. Maybe one day we'll even go back to some original 1950s kitchen appliances.

Oh, and we do have the Weber kettle BBQ and the clothesline out back!

Same here- I will be the third owner of my 1950's ranch! The counters are original along with the cabinets I posted. I plan to visit the Habitat for Humanity store to find more original fixtures and what not.

just_me

Practically Family
What makes a house a ranch house? Around here (S. Florida), most single-family houses are one story. The houses in my neighborhood were built in the 70s and look a lot like houses I've seen in California.

I wouldn't call the newer houses around here ranch style.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Pretty Square Girl, I had too many windows open when I posted before and I actually somehow left the congratulations part out. :eusa_doh:

May you have many happy years kitting out your ranch! I would have so much fun capturing that mid-century style.

What look are you going for, for decor? And, dare I ask, landscaping? I'm very torn on how "atomic" I'd want my as-yet-unowned ranch and its yard to be.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
PrettySquareGal said:
Same here- I will be the third owner of my 1950's ranch! The counters are original along with the cabinets I posted. I plan to visit the Habitat for Humanity store to find more original fixtures and what not.

Very cool! Like Viola I'm also interested in hearing more about your decorating and landscaping efforts. Our decor is really a mix of 1940s and 1950s modern... right now it is in a state of flux as we have a lot of Colonial going on (very popular in the 50s) but I'm leaning more towards deco and mid-century modern mixed. I'm anxious to see what you come up with! Landscaping, we dont' do much honestly. Our yard is pretty boring, sorry to say. I'd love to have some really crazy topiaries and nice round bushes, but working full-time (and the fact that we both despise yard work) doesn't really lend itself too well to that effort.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I'm a garden nerd. So I'm planning landscaping before I even have a house to landscape! lol

I like the stone spheres posted earlier in the thread. The nice thing about modern style is it can be as simple or as complicated as you want.

westlake07.jpg

Note: This is not my house (unfortunately!) and it's not really a ranch, but I like the way veeeery simple landscaping still emphasizes that Mid-C feel. I think I would add a couple beds and maybe some white stone pavers though, but again, garden geek. I am compiling a collection of pics for ideas once I have a yard.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I know, I just drool on the website pics I've found. So great, and so sunny. That's what I like: it's a little bit silly, but so optimistic.

Also when I first saw it I just LAUGHED. Because they've got this weird, Edward Scissorhands charm for me. Like a cartoon of a '50s subdivision.

I want one. :eek:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Sunny???? Yeah, that picture must have been taken in January or February. Daly City is right on the coast south of San Francisco and the fog comes rolling in and stays forever. It could be 1 p.m. in July and the place is real foggy. It's part of my sales territory and I'm there every other week and I am still amazed at that "Edward Scissorhands" feel the area has. These homes actually have enough room in the bottom for 3 cars!!!:eek: They're only about 5 feet from each other, but inside some have 3 levels. When I first started with my company about 6 years ago I drove down there for the first time and I too thought; "this looks like a cartoon or something out of Disneyland". I think, that because of the year round fog of the area is a good indication of why these homes are still "optimistic" looking. Just look at the picture you posted; it does light up the street. I know exactly where that house is located. I'm sure it's on John Daly Blvd. When I drive out there on Tuesday I'm going to look.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Viola and fortworthgal: thanks. There are some shrubs out front that will need trimming but I will square off like my grandmother used to do. The land has lots of old growth trees so I won't be doing much more in the front. There are some flower pots on the windows of the enclosed porch so I will plant flowers in them. In the back we will have a Victory Garden!

For inside my primary goal is to find a vintage pink toilet and sink in good condition and working order! The Habitat for Humanity store has salvaged things from houses for sale so between looking there and estate sales, craigslist, etc I hope to find some! Eventually we will replace the linoleum in the kitchen and replace the wallpaper.

However, between our down payment, closing costs, moving costs, repairs, etc we're hoping to be eating some Ramen in our mid-century Taylorstone bowls. lol

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Lincsong, you had asked me what 50's ranches look like here in the NE, but I think it may have been in the 50's landscaping thread but I will answer here. I've been looking around on the MLS and as I drive by.

The majority of the 50's ranches I see in the Portland, Maine area, except for a notable few, are very simple, single level and small and not like the exciting designs out in CA. (I think the split level started in the 60's?) There aren't a lot of brick exteriors; I see mostly asbestos shingles or wood siding. There are only a few asymmetrical ranches; they are mostly square or rectangular. I have seen a few L-shaped. Many have an enclosed porch which I adore; it's as if the builders were mindful that heating a home is expensive, and in Maine an open porch is less practical than a 3-season room.

A troubling trend was that some were built on slabs and lack a basement. That means if heating with oil, the tank was usually buried which, years later, can be a big problem with leaks or abandonment. One slab house we looked at had the oil tank inside one bedroom and the furnace in the bathroom!

The ranches with the original owners tend to be well maintained. There are a few I drive by routinely and I sometimes see the white haired owners in pressed clothing, never in jeans, tending to things. :)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Ah yes, the slab foundation :eek: !!! Cold in the winter and hot in the summer. The bane of construction.lol Out here in California in the 50s and 60s the houses with slab foundations tended to be the more shoddily built. I've seen some that were made with green wood and now, 55 years later the beams are swayed.:eek: When looking for a vintage house, I'd recommend looking for one with a raised foundation.

The picture that Viola posted has the Hollywood Junipers in the yard. Those were popular landscaping out here and are fun to create. Each one is different because it was created by its owner. My Dad has one in his front yard and one in his back yard. Not too many newer developments have the Hollywood Junipers. I guess people aren't that creative anymore. It's not hard to do, it's sort of like a large Japanese Bonsai. Which brings me to ask; were there that type of Hollywood Junipers back East for landscaping?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy