Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Dahlia

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
blackdahliaonset_11.jpg

pablocham

One of the Regulars
Looks like it could be pretty good. I loved the book, love Depalma, love Aaron Eckhart, and can't stand Josh Hartnett. I hope that the amount of Hartnett in the trailer is not representative of the amount he appears in the movie. I am sure I'll enjoy it anyway, but I just don't get his appeal--do directors like extremely wooden charismaless actors?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
pablocham said:
Looks like it could be pretty good. I loved the book, love Depalma, love Aaron Eckhart, and can't stand Josh Hartnett. I hope that the amount of Hartnett in the trailer is not representative of the amount he appears in the movie. I am sure I'll enjoy it anyway, but I just don't get his appeal--do directors like extremely wooden charismaless actors?

ben_affleck.jpg

keanu_reeves.jpg

They do when they're purty.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hartnett's character (Bucky Bleichert) is the main character in this story. He'll be in virtually every scene if they stick to the book, and James Ellroy was on-set just to make sure that they did.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I have to admit I prefered Hartnett's hair in Sin City opposed to Pearl Harbor or Black Dahlia.
I still want to see the movie though.

Sincerely,
<--------

Feraud

Bartender

Feraud

Bartender
I do not nit-pick films too much..:)
Most of the characters look o.k. Considering Hartnett is the lead character, I was not impressed with his hat or hair style. He should have been wearing Eckhart's fedora. The supporting cast looks great.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Oh you guys! :rage:

It's a period movie about cops and criminals and other people, not a 1947 Esquire magazine! Then, like now, bad haircuts were bountiful, and hats were worn by most the way they wore their shoes, without much thought for how they looked - they wore them because that's what you wore. If that is the character, then so be it.

Now, if Hartnett can ACT instead of delivering his lines in a monotone and through a face that has not been apparently paralyzed with novocaine, then we're in business.

And if you want bad haircuts in period films check out Robert Redford in the Sting or The Natural, he has his hair so floppsy-full that he can't get his hats on properly!

Art Direction by the great Dante Ferretti and costumes by Jenny Beaven who did Gosford Park, Remains of the Day, Tea With Mussolini, Room With a View, and many more, so she knows her way around period. Period.

Now, what about the music?

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
jake_fink said:
And if you want bad haircuts in period films check out Robert Redford in the Sting or The Natural, he has his hair so floppsy-full that he can't get his hats on properly!
I watched The Sting on tv last week and noticed the poofy hair too. But there were a couple a scenes where he had his hair slicked back, why they just didn't go with that the whole time who knows.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dr greg said:
The film you're thinking of is True Confessions which has references to the Dahlia murder, I haven't seen it in 20 years so it's hard to remember exactly.
I was able to get True Confessions on VHS (it's not on DVD) from a seller on Amazon for $2!
Got it months ago but haven't watched it yet. I want to see The Black Dahlia first!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Bonnie & Clyde was on TCM the other night. Pouffe' 60's hair!!!

Scarlettt would look good in anything. I'll see it because she's in it. I guess that's what they call "Box Office Draw."

I actually liked stupid-hair whatsisface in Pearl Harbor.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
flat-top said:
I was able to get True Confessions on VHS (it's not on DVD) from a seller on Amazon for $2!
Got it months ago but haven't watched it yet. I want to see The Black Dahlia first!

I have that on DVD.

Released thru' MGM.

Got it here in Ireland.

Feraud

Bartender
jake_fink said:
Oh you guys! :rage:

It's a period movie about cops and criminals and other people, not a 1947 Esquire magazine!
Now you have gone and taken all the fun out of my criticism! lol ;)
Your points are all well taken. I would not let minor details spoil what could be a fine film. I will be there opening night with ticket in hand.

Now back to Scarlett...:D

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'm interested in this film but the woman who plays Elizabeth Short is one of the worst actresses I've ever seen. She'll probably be seen mostly in flashbacks so the damage may be minimal. Another photo I found on the 'Net--Scarlett looks great, I love the hat.

D29_9390.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner