Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Dahlia

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I do NOT care for Josh's hat or the sound track on the trailer. I would be very pleased if we had another cool golden era movie done right. If it is as good as The Natural or LA Confidential...it will be a winner in my book.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Black Dahlia (2006)

I saw a recent PREVIEW of a movie scheduled for release in September, 2006.'

If you love film noir, and detective stories, thrillers...then you MUST see this!

The Black Dahlia

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387877/

The film looks to be a real blockbuster. Great cast, costumes, etc. Directed y Brian De Palma (# Femme Fatale (2002) # Bruce Springsteen: The Complete Video Anthology 1978-2000 (2001) (V) (video "Dancing in the Dark")# Mission to Mars (2000)... aka M2M (USA: promotional abbreviation)# Snake Eyes 1998) # Mission: Impossible (1996) ... aka Mission Impossible # Carlito's Way (1993) # Raising Cain (1992) # The Bonfire of the Vanities #1990) (as Brian DePalma) # Casualties of War (1989) # Bruce Springsteen: Video Anthology 1978-1988 (1989) (V) (video "Dancing in the Dark")
# The Untouchables (1987) # Wise Guys (1986) # Body Double (1984) # Scarface (1983) # Blow Out (1981) # Dressed to Kill (1980),

and writing credits to James Ellroy (LA Confidential).

This is a sure fire hit!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let's say I'm holding out hope this is going to be good, but after seeing the trailer and some other post-production info, it's not going to be on a par with L.A. Confidential. The book's a great read.

Doh!

One Too Many
Well, like my mother once said, "The 'R' don't stand for 'Russian'!"

(This was at a movie theater in the '80s when we saw Moscow On the Hudson -- rated R for language and nudity. As we were leaving the theater, these two little old ladies walking ahead of us up the aisle were complaining about... the language and nudity. That's when my mother turned to me and said the above quote.)

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Tony in Tarzana said:
Just a caveat: From the pictures I've seen posted on the 'net, they leave nothing whatsoever to the imagination with regards to the crime scene and the autopsy room. :eek:

ARGH!! I hate when they do that- only for the sole purpose that I will have to watch those scenes with my hands over my face :(

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Tony in Tarzana said:
Just a caveat: From the pictures I've seen posted on the 'net, they leave nothing whatsoever to the imagination with regards to the crime scene and the autopsy room. :eek:

Personally I applaud this. Too much glamour is given to violence and I'd be happy to see more films accurately portray exactly what it looks like when someone gets shot, or cut, or hit. Maybe some elements of modern society would find violence less attractive if they understood its ramifications.

Steve

Practically Family
I won't be seeing this film, but I sincerely dislike seeing Josh Hartnett as a period hero. His perpetual "irked frat boy" expression in the trailer is a big turn-off. As his his leather jacket, which seems out of place in most of the pictures I've seen.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Personally I applaud this. Too much glamour is given to violence and I'd be happy to see more films accurately portray exactly what it looks like when someone gets shot, or cut, or hit. Maybe some elements of modern society would find violence less attractive if they understood its ramifications.[/QUOTE]
I saw the actual crime scene photos on line [EDIT: Link removed due to graphic nature.] of Elizabeth Short [EDIT: Link removed due to graphic nature.]
I agree, though I have friends that would rather not know the "bad" stuff happening in the world. Of course my little sister thinks I am morbid for watching stuff like Infamous Murders and American Justice...
They never caught anyone for this murder did they?

Girl Friday

Practically Family
It was [EDIT: Link removed due to graphic nature.]

The pics are there and seriously don't look if you are easily disturbed by that sort of thing. They are very gruesome.

The story is interesting and sad. And they never solved the case.

Rick Blaine

Amen to that brother...

[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Personally I applaud this. Too much glamour is given to violence and I'd be happy to see more films accurately portray exactly what it looks like when someone gets shot, or cut, or hit. Maybe some elements of modern society would find violence less attractive if they understood its ramifications.[/QUOTE]
Violence is neither glamorous nor antiseptic. It is dehumanizing to everyone it touches, victims, witnesses & perpetrators alike. If the true consequence were accurately portrayed, we would see far less of it & be better for it as well.

carebear

Tony in Tarzana said:
I actually concur with Rick Blaine and Doc, I just wanted to let the more sensitive potential viewers know before they saw it.

I agree, if you have to show violence, don't sugar-coat it.

...and show it in context. Violence is unfortunate but sometimes justifiable and necessary.

I don't know whether to call it nihilistic or utilitarian, but the glorification of modern anti-heros who use violence without moral or ethical justification can't help the socialization of kids.

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
Girl Friday said:
I saw the actual crime scene photos on line [EDIT: Link removed due to graphic nature.] of Elizabeth Short or it might have been [EDIT: Link removed due to graphic nature.]
I agree, though I have friends that would rather not know the "bad" stuff happening in the world. Of course my little sister thinks I am morbid for watching stuff like Infamous Murders and American Justice...
They never caught anyone for this murder did they?

I watch those shows too. What about that show where a man purported to be the son of a doctor that he said was the killer? What ever happened to that theory?

rsg

katiemakeup

Practically Family
A pal just told me last night there was a book out about that, RedShoesGirl... Although she wasn't sure but she thought it was about the doctor who did her autopsy or something like that.. that he was involved with her investigation of some sort. She said she would look into it and get back to me.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Gruesome is what is in at this time. First of all, those Dahlia photos in gory, if just in b&w, detail are all over the net. Besides, there is also rotten.com for some real pervo pictures.

Then, there are the CSI series on TV, as well as the autopsy films, showing human corpses and skeletons in various stages of decomposition that you would not have seen just a few years earlier.

And, then there are all the books featuring autopsies in exacting detail, down to descriptions of blow flies, etc. The only thing we don't get to experience is the smell, and even that is described in exacting detail.

Considering all this, they couldn't possibly be discreet and capture the movie audiences they want to see their film.

Sad, but true....

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner