Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Dahlia

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
katiemakeup said:
A pal just told me last night there was a book out about that, RedShoesGirl... Although she wasn't sure but she thought it was about the doctor who did her autopsy or something like that.. that he was involved with her investigation of some sort. She said she would look into it and get back to me.

The book is The Black Dahlia Avenger by Steve Hodel. It's just been optioned, so if Deplama's film is successful you can expect to see another Black Dahlia-themed film in the next few years.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RedShoesGirl said:
I watch those shows too. What about that show where a man purported to be the son of a doctor that he said was the killer? What ever happened to that theory?

rsg

All the books and such claiming to have solved the case have been proven to be utter rubbish. The authors change dates on documents to it fits their theories, manufacturer other "evidence" or they've really played fast & loose with the known evidence & facts of the case, and so forth. Pounding square pegs into round holes and saying, "See, it fits!"

It's been sixty years give or take. Like JFK, Jack the Ripper and various other crimes - there have been so many theories and conspiracies and and cover ups and manufacturered evidence and so forth that there's no way we'll ever know the truth...even if proper investigations had originally been performed.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Mike in Seattle said:
All the books and such claiming to have solved the case have been proven to be utter rubbish. The authors change dates on documents to it fits their theories, manufacturer other "evidence" or they've really played fast & loose with the known evidence & facts of the case, and so forth. Pounding square pegs into round holes and saying, "See, it fits!"

It's been sixty years give or take. Like JFK, Jack the Ripper and various other crimes - there have been so many theories and conspiracies and and cover ups and manufacturered evidence and so forth that there's no way we'll ever know the truth...even if proper investigations had originally been performed.

Not entirely true. Most Dahlia books are indeed rubbish, but Hodel's Black Dhalia Avnger stands apart.

While the case has not been definitively solved Hodel's book makes some very strong arguments. There is, along with the convincing evidence, a lot of dodgy evidence, but overall he has done a much better job than most of tying "his" suspect to the crime. LA County HDDA Stephen Kay (who prosecuted Charles Manson and the rest of the Family) wrote that the case made by Hodel, while cirumstantial, was convincing. As well, after the first publication of the book LADA documents came to light revealing that George Hodel was in fact a suspect in their investigation and was the subject of an enormous amount of surveillance - a thousand hours of recorded surveillance, if I recall correctly - in relation to this and other related crimes. LAPD, with whom Hodel had ties, were not as interested in him as a suspect and crucial evidence was lost. Hodel contends that this disconnect indicates, at the very least, a bungled investigation if not a cover-up. All making for a very compelling read.

You can expect a new edition of the book soon, probably with additional information and/or evidence. If you have any interest in the Black Dahlia story it is well worth a look.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Dahlia Trailer

Saw the Black Dahlia trailer for the third time. It looks like it might be interesting. Regarding costumes plenty of fedoras & tie clasps!

SC :rolleyes:

PS If you all get a chance checkout Ed Norton in "The Illusionist" terrific!!!!:eusa_clap

PSS Lot of great detail for 1880's/1890's period! ;)

Girl Friday

Practically Family
RedShoesGirl said:
I watch those shows too. What about that show where a man purported to be the son of a doctor that he said was the killer? What ever happened to that theory?

rsg
I haven't seen that one. I am sure that when the film is released A&E and History Channel will replay all the stuff they have on the Black Dahlia, I'll have to catch it then.

matei

One Too Many
I saw the posters for the film here in the Tube.

Scarlett looks wonderful, as usual. I don't like yer man Josh. I agree with you all that his look is all wrong for the film.

For some strange reason he reminds me of George W. Bush... I think it is the facial expression. That alone makes it hard for me to watch him in any films - but the main reason is that he is dull, dull, dull.

flat-top

I posted this in another thread, but it's worth reposting!

Check out these two recent quotes from director Brian De Palma: "In L.A. Confidential, the detective gets the girl.That doesn't happen in The Black Dahlia.It's just a descent into hell." And "This is noir to the nth degree. It's just as dark as it gets."

Feraud

Bartender
The trailer for this film played with The Illusionist.
The Black Dahlia is looking more like it will be a Netflix rental to me... The current trailer views like a love triangle with a murder background than what should be a murder investigation. I am sick of who ever in Hollywood is pushing Scarlett Johannson on us. I recently saw about three current films with her and am through with her. The gal is cute but her acting is as wooden as a cigar store indian!
With regards to the current slew of vintage era films I think Hollywoodland tops my list.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
ALL THE KING'S MEN tops my list.

With Sean Penn, Jude Law, Anthony Hopkins. Based on the Robert Penn Warren novel. The life of populist Southerner Willie Stark, a political creature loosely based on Governor Huey Long of Louisiana. (The film takes place in the 1940s and '50s, even though Huey Long's heyday was the early to mid 1930s.)

Here's the trailer: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405676/trailers

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I will be seeing the movie but after seeing yet another trailer, my concern remains the "contemporary" look of Josh Hartnett. I'm just hoping he doesn't stand out in the wrong sense of the term. Scarlett Johansen looks great, though! (and I am surprised, pleasantly!)

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
Nathan Dodge said:
I will be seeing the movie but after seeing yet another trailer, my concern remains the "contemporary" look of Josh Hartnett. I'm just hoping he doesn't stand out in the wrong sense of the term. Scarlett Johansen looks great, though! (and I am surprised, pleasantly!)

gotta agree with you about harnett - even from the trailers he looks all wrong.

Daisy Buchanan

Marc Chevalier said:
ALL THE KING'S MEN tops my list.

With Sean Penn, Jude Law, Anthony Hopkins. Based on the Robert Penn Warren novel. The life of populist Southerner Willie Stark, a political creature loosely based on Governor Huey Long of Louisiana. (The film takes place in the 1940s and '50s, even though Huey Long's heyday was the early to mid 1930s.)

Here's the trailer: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405676/trailers

This tops my list too. It really looks great, and ooohhhh the clothes!!!

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Saw James Ellroy speak last night at Skylight Books in Los Feliz. Entertaining like always -- stoked to see the movie this weekend.

He's going back to Skylight to speak in like 2 weeks. He'll speakin' around LA until then I believe. He's worth an audience.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Damn!

Jack Scorpion said:
Saw James Ellroy speak last night at Skylight Books in Los Feliz. Entertaining like always -- stoked to see the movie this weekend.

He's going back to Skylight to speak in like 2 weeks. He'll speakin' around LA until then I believe. He's worth an audience.

I wish I would'a known! Well, it ain't gonna happen again - I'll be there on the 21st!

DronesDodz

One of the Regulars
My wife and I would really like to watch this movie, unfortunately rated R. We don't really watch a lot of R movies. It looks like a good thriller anyway...
Christoph

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Mr. Lucky said:
I wish I would'a known! Well, it ain't gonna happen again - I'll be there on the 21st!

He says post-blackdahliathemovie, he ain't going to publically speak of his mother or Liz Short anymore. So you got one last chance to ask him any of those questions.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Jack Scorpion said:
He says post-blackdahliathemovie, he ain't going to publically speak of his mother or Liz Short anymore. So you got one last chance to ask him any of those questions.
Ahhh, that's alright. I'm more interested in what he's going to do next! Ellroy, Hammett, Chandler, Mosley - all masters.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
DronesDodz said:
My wife and I would really like to watch this movie, unfortunately rated R. We don't really watch a lot of R movies. It looks like a good thriller anyway...
Christoph

No R rated movies? What, are you both under 18 or something?

-MC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner